FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Listening to your lock

<<

Dopug

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Listening to your lock

I got bored of picking low security padlocks and lock boxes so i bought myself a yale 5 pin rin cylinder, but I'm really struggling with it.

It doesn't feel like there's any security pins in it, but i can't be sure as i haven't tried gutting it.

My problem is I'm not getting any feedback on my tension wrench as the plug never seems the move even slightly wether the pins seem to be set or not.

What I'm using fo feedback is the pins themselves, and the sound of the sring behind the pin.

Am i right in thinking if i'm lifting a pin and can hear the spring compressing then the pin is definatly not set?

Sometimes I hear a small click, then the pin falls bak down and i can lift it freely without feeling or hearing the spring behind it compress. would this indicate that the pin is set?

I was finding cheap locks to easy but I'm getting no where with this yale, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:52 pm

Re: Listening to your lock

Sometimes I hear a small click, then the pin falls bak down and i can lift it freely without feeling or hearing the spring behind it compress. would this indicate that the pin is set?

Yes!!! Maybe or the spool pin is caught and trapping the spring from putting downward pressure on the driver and key pin!! Is it an old Yale or new, post some pics if you can!!
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:04 pm

In my experience, all Yale locks have security pins, at the moment you may not be feeling feedback from them but they are there. I listen to the locks as well, I don't get much out of it when it comes to getting them opened, it's all in what the lock tells you fingers.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:19 am

Dopug can you post a pic of the lock you have? The kitemarked ones have surprisingly tight tolerances and have 3 or 4 serrated pins, which can be very tricky.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 am

My locks say things like "Try harder you fucking skillless piece of shit!" ... or "You weak pathetic fool, is that the best you can do? You will never win."
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 am

In all seriousness, listening to your lock is just practice. Some locks give extremely subtle feedback. I recall picking a few Wilson Bohannans where setting a pin to shear produced just about nothing but the slightest little tickle on your tensioner, almost indistinguishable. One thing you should also note is that you can intensify the feedback by applying harder tension.

Harder tension = more force required to lift pins = more intense feedback = more damage to your pick = more damage to your fingers
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:59 am

Dopug wrote:Am i right in thinking if i'm lifting a pin and can hear the spring compressing then the pin is definatly not set?

If you lift a keypin, and you can hear the spring compressing, the driver is not set. If the driver WERE set, the keypin would hit a ceiling ledge created by the offset plug under tension and you would not be able to contact the spring. This isn't true in all locks, but most, and shouldn't be used as a barometer to tell if a pin is set.

Dopug wrote:Sometimes I hear a small click, then the pin falls bak down and i can lift it freely without feeling or hearing the spring behind it compress. would this indicate that the pin is set?

That means you set the driver, and it is now trapped above the shearline. That 'pin' you're feeling move freely up and down is a free moving keypin which is just flopping all over. Move on to the next pin.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Dopug

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:57 pm

Ok this is the lock. I'm successfully picking 5 pin ISEO and UAP locks with spool pins in, but this yale keeps defeating me.

I just can't tell if when i'm set or if i'm stuck on a security pin. It doesnt feel like spools as I dont get any rotation. If i can't pick this soon i'm going to take it apart to see whats inside.

If anyone can point me to some instructions on how to take these apart that would be really useful.

<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:46 pm

I'm pretty sure that's one of the first run of X5 cylinders, so it most likely has serrated drivers. Wouldn't be a bad idea to take it apart and have a look... there are tutorials on that all over the place so I won't do a whole breakdown for ya. All you need is a plug follower of around 12mm diameter, some tweezers, and whatever you can get your hands on that you can remove the circlip with.
<<

Dopug

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:13 am

Thanks Soloman, I'll find something thats suitable size and take it apart, maybe seeing whats inside will help me get a feel for picking it. I'm getting no feedback from the pins at all, I'm guessing it has really tight tolerances.

When i finally pick it I'll send it on to one of you guys, it would be interesting to see what an experienced picker makes of this lock.
<<

darkhorse

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:42 am

yales are definitely getting harder to pick..I've a few yale rims that just wont budge and some that open in seconds...One of my vids "speed picking a yale" is a new one that went in about 20 seconds...I suggest you leave it alone for a week dopug then come back to it cos the more you struggle the harder it gets mate
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:20 am

Dopug wrote:Thanks Soloman, I'll find something thats suitable size and take it apart, maybe seeing whats inside will help me get a feel for picking it. I'm getting no feedback from the pins at all, I'm guessing it has really tight tolerances.

When i finally pick it I'll send it on to one of you guys, it would be interesting to see what an experienced picker makes of this lock.

Tolerances are very tight, but you'll get it. I have a kitemarked euro that picks CCW but the pins won't bind at all clockwise. Try picking in the opposite direction. :)
<<

Dopug

Familiar Face

Post Wed May 04, 2011 5:20 pm

I finally crack this lock, in fact since i got my new picks I've picked ever lock in my collection including a 6 pin ERA that I couldn't even get one pin to set on.

I've got all the Sparrows hooks and a few southords and having a good selection of pick profiles has made all the difference. I the few weeks I've been picking I've learnt so much about pin tumblers, mostly thanks to you guys on this site, all your posts and videos have really helped. Big up yourselves :)

Once I've got myself a plug followers and made a pinning shoes I do some vids and strip these locks as I'm dying to see whats inside the yale and the era. feels like spools but who knows?

Feeling well pleased with myself but know I've still got a shit load to learn.

Got some door locks coming from the US from locksmitharmy, it will be interesting to see how they compare to euro locks.

Return to Uber-Noob