FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Yale Y125/40

<<

LethalFlo

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Yale Y125/40

Good day to everybody,

i will get right down to business

i started recently with lockpicking so i bought a picking set and a cheap brandless cilinder lock.
The lock I beated fairly quick, and I think ive opened it so many times know that the springs gone
bad.

so i hopped on my bicycle and went to the department store. looking for a good lock to practice on.
first i had a look ad cilinder locks like the one we have at the backdoor, when i found out is was about a
100 € i went to take a look at the padlocks. my eye fell on a studded padlock from the brand yale
its was about 10€

so i went home trying to pick it right away. my first opening took me about 20 minutes
i opened it 3 times after that. but now im having a problem because i cant seemt to open it
again. im quite sure its my skill and not the lock wich is broke.
and the key will still open the lock like normal

This is the discription of the lock

its a fairly "fat" padlock with studs on the bottom and on the upper side there is a rubber band
around the housing that states: Yale and Y125/40

im also quite sure that the first pin is a security pin because if that one sets it turns but just a bit.
ive tried about anything now and im quite in need of help.

Thanks in advance
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Yale Y125/40

First off, welcome to the forum.

Alright I looked up your lock and i'm pretty sure its the one that I uploaded the picture of. I highly doubt it's broken, sometimes you can pick a lock a few times and then it will take you forever to get it open again. Sometimes you just need to set it aside and take a break from it. Also that cylinder you said you picked, you say you think the spring is broken? was this a new lock that you bought to practice on? does the key still work, I can't say i've heard of a spring wearing out that fast from picking the lock. You are just beginning so it is expected to take some time to pop locks open. If you browse through the tutorials sections on here you will find a lot of good threads on basic picking of locks. It's all practice, you will start to get the feel of locks as you pick them.

Have a look at this thread in the Uber-Noob section, it's a written book by one of our members here, cut and dry about all the basics of lock picking, what to look for, what to feel for when picking. It's a very good starting point for beginers.

viewtopic.php?f=116&t=4377

Any questions you have specific about picking you can find answers to on this board or if you can't find an answer, ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

LethalFlo

Post Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:07 pm

first of al thanks for the quick reply

and yest thats deffinatly the lock.

well i remember that the first cilinder i bought was brandless.
and first the springs where quite "loaded" but now i think theyve
lost some of their power because i just have to insert the pick
wiggle it and it opens. the key on it stil works tho and other keys
dont.

And thanks again i will read that tutorial right now (grabs the lock and some picks to with it)
<<

LethalFlo

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:27 pm

ive read the whole tutorial but i think i need to buy a simple cilinder.
so the actualy question that comes with this post is

is this translucent practice lock worth it or deffinatly not?
i realy want to improve my skill but im caught in the middle of
2 locks. 1 way to easy and 1 way to hard. thats why i came up
with this

http://www.winkelplein.nl/lockpick/defa ... uLwpxMoJvI
<<

chris

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:30 pm

I myself wouldn't go with the clear locks, you gotta think that when you pick a real lock you won't have the luxury of vision, so it's going to feel different. You can always go and buy a few cheap cylinders and key them up with 1 pin, 2 pins, 3 pins and so forth. Besides you said you have already picked a few locks and cylinders, so there is really no point to you buying a see through one if you already know how to pick.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs...
See those kids standing by the lake...drop some napalm and watch them bake.
Naaapaalm...sticks to kids...it sticks to the belly and it sticks to the ribs.
<<

bouncer965

Post Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:47 pm

:agree: No point buying a clear plastic lock if your comfortable picking anyways. Some of them yales not too sure on that particular model, but they tend to have serrated pins or other security pins which can be a difficult pick, even for accomplished pickers. As chris suggests get a lock that you can pin and re-pin to get the feel for it more .....no point wasting money on a clear lock if you dont need it.
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

LethalFlo

Post Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:41 pm

Thanks for the Reply´s ive got some bids on some few cheap cilinders
cause for that 1 clear i can get about 4/5 cheap cilinders

Return to Uber-Noob