FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Old Diebold safe dial/mechanism removal

<<

DAP88

Post Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:08 pm

Old Diebold safe dial/mechanism removal

Hi everyone,

Just fell into another project and need help to move forward with it.

Basically, my neighbor threw out an old Diebold safe and for some odd reason I wanted it, so I ended up dragging it to my garage. Luckily for me it was already unlocked and came with a type of "key" along with instructions to reset the combination. Did some homework, and managed to figure out the old combo and reset it to a new one. Now I'd like to set about repainting it, but can't figure out how to remove the hardware for the dial and latch. Don't want to break anything.

Lock is a Diebold 924. Turns out it's a single number combination. Sprayed some dry lock lubricant in it and it freed up a good amount so it operates much nicer now. But I would still like to clean it better. Also to poke around in it's innards because I can't just leave well enough alone.

Any advice is appreciated
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:02 pm

Re: Old Diebold safe dial/mechanism removal

Use pliers or vicegrips to pull the spline key out of the threaded part holding the disc in the back of the lock. It will be tight, but pull it STRAIGHT out, do not twist or bend it or it can break. Then unthread the dial. There will be screws holding the ring on the front of the door under the dial. The lock itself is only held on with the 4 visible screws in the case.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

DAP88

Post Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Re: Old Diebold safe dial/mechanism removal

Thanks for the reply! Had to jiggle it a little bit, but the pin pulled straight out like you said it would. Everything as far as the dial and lock goes is apart and waiting to be cleaned. The only problem I ran into was one of the screws was buggered up really bad and had to be jimmied off. Looks like someone tried to drill a hole in the door at some point and hogged half the screw threads off in the process. There's even a piece of metal and another screw left in the hole. Weird.

Next I have to remove the latch handle. Managed to get some of the parts off, but still can't figure out how to remove it. Also have to either pry the little pins holding the number plates off or mask around them. The outside she'll has a textured pattern to it so don't know how difficult it's going to make stripping/painting it. As long as it functions as it should in the end I'm good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to Uber-Noob