FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Helping out a newbie :)

<<

Meekats

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:03 pm

Helping out a newbie :)

Hello KP, I was wondering if anyone would like to share some advice on lock picking with a newbie. I have recently acquired a stainless steel lock picking set from Southord, and am wondering how to best get started learning. I want to first master pin tumbler locks, and I know the basics, but any tips and tricks from experienced pickers would be greatly appreciated. At the moment I am only raking, and its more luck than anything when I open a lock. Thank you in advance!

[Edit: Thread moved - HC]
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Helping out a newbie :)

Welcome to KP meekats!! What kind of lock do you have now? Get yourself a Master padlock number 3 and work with that. Use top of the keyway tension and put your pick in and try to feel each pin individually. Once you can feel all 4 pins, start lifiting one pin at a time and see if you can feel one binding, if you can try and set it and move to the next binding pin. Keep on it till it pops open and do it again and again. Maybe also get a deadbolt you can take some pins out of like a schlage and work your way up from 1 pin to 5 pins. Any other questions just let us know.
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Welcome buddy

I agree with koko , Just like to add .... give it time - All or most newbies start by raking there is nothing wrong with that even experienced pickers use a rake ...

Just give it time and get a feel for it, maybe even sit in a dark room ! its not your eye's that do the work ! its getting the feel for it .. knowing when you've set a pin or applying to heavy tension ...

Good luck & happy picking :cool:
<<

Meekats

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:35 pm

Thank you for the tips, I will get onto it as soon as possible :)
<<

edsmiley

Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin
Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Welcome Meekats

Kokomo is spot on. Also, read posts, hang around on chat and ask questions. I can speak from experience and that alone will help you immensely.

Ed
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:55 pm

Everybodys advice is spot on. Picking locks isn't physical it's all feel, mentally take the feedback from the pick and draw a picture of what the lock is doing in your head. You don't need to look at the pick or even hear anything click, your fingers hear and feel what the lock is doing. All I can tell you is practice, it gets easier and easier, when you get frustrated take a break, and when you fingers get tired, your not going to pick as well, so put the picks down and rest before frustrating yourself even more. You need anything, just ask.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:15 pm

Welcome meekats.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

jailersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:32 am

Welcome. The secrets are #1 RELAX. #2 This is not a timed skill and #3 Most locks will surpise you when they open. Enjoy youself, it's fun.
<<

dragonkingx

Familiar Face

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:40 pm

Hello Meekats, welcome to keypicking!, i am pretty new to picking myself but from what i have learned so far my advice is to never give up, it might get frustrating at first but if you keep at it and you will find your own style.
<<

locksyth

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:39 am

All great advice. I would only add that when most start out,they use way more tension than is required. Stay relaxed. Most basic locks require very little pressure to open. Just rest your finger on the tension wrench and feel the pins binding. Have fun!
LOCKSYTH-Vini,Vidi,Vici!

Return to Uber-Noob