FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Picking Nuances.

<<

Tarquin

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:26 am

Picking Nuances.

Okay, this is the lock I am using:

It's a Schlage lock that's about 22 years old. It originally sold for around $115 though and even now on clearance, 22 years later it's running over $60. The point is, this ain't the world's stupidest lock. It might not be the best, but it's certainly not a kwikset either.

This is the first lock I ever picked, but it took me three hours to pop it the first time. It took me four hours to pop it the second time.

I've recently rekeyed it though, and I cut it down to three pins. I have pins in the # 1, 3 and 5 positions of this 5 pin lock. It has no security pins of any kind, just normal pins and top pins.

The problem is that:

A) The pin in pin slot 1 appears to be completely irrelevant, almost as if it just plain sits at the sheer line and the lock would open on this pin regardless of what I do, which renders it kind of pointless. If it does need to be moved to the sheer line, I'm doing it on accident while setting the #3 and #5 pins, so it ain't takin' a whole lot to set this pin. It's a totally irrelevant pin. I'm wondering if that's my fault for how I put the pin stack together, or if it's just the way it goes sometimes. Should I rekey this pin to make it relevant or am I being too anal?

B) It's apparently VERY easy to overset the #3 pin, which is also the first binding pin. Apparently this pin is almost as long as a donkey's thingy, and pushing it down just enough to get to the #5 pin cleanly leaves me barely enough room to actually get the #5 and pop it without over-setting the #3. The problem is that the only way I've figured this out is by process of elimination of other possibilities.

How do you guys know when you've over-set a pin?

C) What's a "false set?" I've heard that term but don't know what it means.

My second batch of questions is that this Schlage set has two locks. The first one is the one I described above. The second one I have keyed with all 5 pins in, but still no security pins. I can't even get CLOSE to opening this one. I've gotten four of the pins to set (or over-set as the case may be, since I can't tell one from the other) before, but I can't even get the core to move just a little bit like it should when setting the binding pin correctly. In fact, I can't even find the binding pin for this sucker. Almost all the pins seem to be free to move up and down fairly smoothly even with a lot of tension on the core.

I think the first pin is the binding pin on this lock too, but once I push it down I'm not getting any movement on the core so that indicates that it's not really the binding pin. The problem is that it's a tall pin, though, and that no other pins appear to be the binding pin either.

Any advice?

By the way, this is my complete tool set:

Yes. that's really what I'm working with.

Last question: I have a list of lock specs. On it is a Master Lock No. 3. It says it has four pins and no security pins, but today someone told me this lock does have security pins. I'd like to confirm that and if so, what type? I was able to pop this lock incredibly quickly and regularly, so I'd like to know what pins it had, if any.
<<

bezza1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:43 am

Re: Picking Nuances.

keep going dont look back allways achive your goals
and follow your dreams................
<<

Tarquin

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:49 am

Wow. Good answer. That certainly explains what a false set is.

How can I tell if I have an over-set as opposed to a genuine set?
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:29 am

Hey Tarquin, Welcome to keypicking, don't think I have talked to you before. Here is a video to check out, it explains binding pins and overset pins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIg6G8p_0o&feature=player_embedded.\

A Master #3 padlocks has no security pins. When you overset a pin it is sometimes a hard to tell but normally the pin will keep on pushing up and not set because it is overset. If you think you have one overset let off the tension for a split second and put it right back on, a lot of times that will let the overset pin fall into the set state. Do you know the bitting of the Schlage lock, it sounds like pin 1 is a #9 which barely has to be lifted to set it so you are probably setting it by accindent setting the others. That could be why you are having problems oversetting #3 because you are really lifting 2 pins at once without realizing it. Hope this helps a little, any other questions just let us know.
<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:29 pm

KokomoLock wrote:Hey Tarquin, Welcome to keypicking, don't think I have talked to you before. Here is a video to check out, it explains binding pins and overset pins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOIg6G8p_0o&feature=player_embedded.\

A Master #3 padlocks has no security pins. When you overset a pin it is sometimes a hard to tell but normally the pin will keep on pushing up and not set because it is overset. If you think you have one overset let off the tension for a split second and put it right back on, a lot of times that will let the overset pin fall into the set state. Do you know the bitting of the Schlage lock, it sounds like pin 1 is a #9 which barely has to be lifted to set it so you are probably setting it by accindent setting the others. That could be why you are having problems oversetting #3 because you are really lifting 2 pins at once without realizing it. Hope this helps a little, any other questions just let us know.

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head there Kokomo! Well said!
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

Tarquin

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:12 pm

You're right on the bitting. I don't know exactly what number it is, but it's high whatever it is, and it's being over-set when I work pin 3 and pin 5. I've gotten the hang of working around it though. Trial and error I guess.

Thanks for the tips!

Return to Uber-Noob