FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

First practise lock for uk beginner

<<

Mongzilla

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:39 pm

First practise lock for uk beginner

Could some one recommend one of these Euro single cylinder locks as my first practise lock?

Also is it better to start on a single or double cylinder lock as I could save me a bit of cash?

I tried to get a kwikset cylinder from some shops in town and no one had heard of them (I live in the U.K.), all that had to offer were Euro cylinder locks. Are they similar to the kwikset (i.e. a U.S. brand) or more difficult to start on?

The Euro cylinder I am looking at are as follows:

Era 4031 31 Euro Single Cylinder 30/10 SB
Iseo 8209 25/10 9 Single Euro Cylinder Nickel Plate
Legge 801 Euro Half Cylinder

If theses are not a good point to start what am looking for in the U.K.

Thanks for your help

P.S. hello every one; ace site , been reading hard for a good week or two.
<<

b03tz

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:40 pm

Re: First practise lock for uk beginner

Hey man!

My first cylinder was a cheap NEMEF cylinder...got it fairly easy. There's no type number on it.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:51 pm

Kwikset are american locks, you'll not find them for sale anywhere in europe. If you want something you can repin and train with, grab a rim cylinder such as ERA, Sterling or any unbranded/cheapo type. Those will all have regular pins, so are very good to start on.

If you don't wanna bother with repinning and you're happy to dive right into fully pinned locks, euro cylinders are fine. I only suggest rim cylinders as you don't need special tools to repin them, so if you're not planning to learn a pin at a time don't worry about the type of lock. Brands to look out for with all regular pins are Sterling, Eurospec, the ABUS Ecoline range and anything without a name on it.

You really should try ebay for locks as you'll get them much cheaper... you'll get any of the locks I mentioned on there brand new for only a few quid each, whereas in a shop you'd be paying typically 2-3 times as much.
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:00 pm

Welcome Mongzilla, you have found THE Place to be!! I have picked ERA and ISEO thanks to Solomon and found them kinda tough cause its a keyway we don't get around here. How about starting with a 4 pin padlock if you have never ever picked before. I don't know what they sell where you are as far as padlocks go but maybe Solomon could recommend a good 4 pin padlock to start with??
<<

bezza1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:01 pm

keep going dont look back allways achive your goals
and follow your dreams................
<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:29 pm

I got myself one of these, its tricky enough to be a challange cos it has 3 safety pins, but its a cutaway which is fantastic for practice.
http://cgi.ebay.ie/LOCKSMITH-CUTAWAY-EURO-CYLINDER-PRACTICE-LOCK-/320583925104?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item4aa44a7d70

of if you just want a cheap lock something like this might do you.....
http://cgi.ebay.ie/Single-Euro-Garage-Door-Lock-Cylinder-40mm-30-10-new-/270617499117?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&var=&hash=item84b712f1e5

or the ones on uklockpickers
I likes my locks like I likes my women, loose and easy to manipulate.

Return to Uber-Noob