FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What to use for tensions tools

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:58 pm

What to use for tensions tools

A common question and one I was just asked about is what to use for tension tools, and where do I find them. I will tell what I use and maybe some of our good pickers can add suggestions as well. Street sweeper bristles work great, some people don't have street sweepers where they live that use metal but for those that do, you need to walk the streets along side the sidewalks and look for the metal, what I do sometimes is actually walk behind the sweeper whenever I need more metal and if I hear the machine working. What I have also used alot is the metal strips in wiper blades, most all vehicles with the exception of some of the fancier model wipers, have two metal strips in each wiper, these make decent tools and tension wrenches, tell your family and friends you want there wipers when they change them, and also hit up junk yards and auto shops. Also something I have never had the opportunity to use is bike spokes, I here they work great if you flaten one end of a spoke and bend it the way you want it.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

spanky2313

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:40 am

Re: What to use for tensions tools

Good post, Auto parts store outside trash can on a rainey day for windshield wiper blades also.Allen wrenches filed down
<<

WhitePicker

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:57 am

I one's also made them out of a old hax saw blade and just grind and sandpaper it and after just heat it up a spot and bend it!
also i made some of car sweepers you can make 5 tension wrench's from one car sweeper for sure
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:40 am

In all honesty, you're gonna want tools that are amazing and will last you a lifetime. Fork up the money for some quality wrenches and save yourself the headache in the future. If you have quality tools from the start, you can build your technique around them and you won't have a rough ride like I did at the start with tension wrenches.

I suggest if you're starting off with picking, get these:

2x Peterson Prybar (two different widths, $16 total)
4x Short Standard Tension Wrench (~$2 each)
4x Long Standard Tension Wrench (~$2 each)
4x Short Standard Twistflex Wrench (~$2 each)
4x Long Standard Twistflex Wrench (~$2 each)

With these 'standard' wrenches, cut the ends off to different lengths, make one short for top keyway, and play around with the rest. I like twistflex in certain situations because they give you higher resolution control over your tension. Some people say you lose feedback but I have not experienced that. The cool thing about the long wrenches is you can customize the opposite end into a new double-sided wrench!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image

Return to Uber-Noob