FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Uber-Noob Section

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:22 am

Re: Uber-Noob Section

M1 and 1092 are the same blank. M1 is the 'EZ' number and 1092 is the 'Ilco' number.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:09 am

jeffmoss26 wrote:M1 and 1092 are the same blank. M1 is the 'EZ' number and 1092 is the 'Ilco' number.

I get that,Jeff.I guess I'm not making myself clear.Other than just plain 'ol experience,can you look up a particular lock to find the blank you need for impressioning? Ok,say someone gave you a lock you had never heard of before and asked you to make a working key.How would you go about finding a blank that fit?
<<

kmh

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:41 am

DennisK wrote:
jeffmoss26 wrote:M1 and 1092 are the same blank. M1 is the 'EZ' number and 1092 is the 'Ilco' number.

I get that,Jeff.I guess I'm not making myself clear.Other than just plain 'ol experience,can you look up a particular lock to find the blank you need for impressioning? Ok,say someone gave you a lock you had never heard of before and asked you to make a working key.How would you go about finding a blank that fit?

If you download the catalogs I gave you the link to, each is seperated by lock manufacture. So just open up the catalog that you need and scroll down to the type of lock and see all their keyways and get the number for it.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:57 pm

DennisK wrote:

Assuming there is a manufacturer on the lock, I would go to that section in the book and start finding a keyway that looked correct.
If it's not marked, I would start with the 'A' names til I found something that looked right!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:51 pm

HerrMannelig wrote:
DennisK wrote:
easy-e wrote:
DennisK wrote:Ok I get that,and that is exactly what I would have done had I had a key.The question I am asking is,how can you look up a blank if you only have a lock (no Key) that is unfamiliar to you?

Generally you would look up the lock on the manufacturer's website. A lot of locks can have different keyways but it will give you list to start with.

For example: http://www.masterlock.com/cms/keying/keys_keyways
*edit*
The links on that page don't work but here is a mirror of it, see page 24: http://www.gobookee.org/get_book.php?u= ... 4gVSBBIEw=

Another thing that will help your search is if you know how many pins your lock is. Lots of key blanks come in a variety of different lenghts.

I appreciate the help,but that second link only comes up as html,or code or whatever that stuff is.I'm using Safari for a browser.

Try this: http://www.masterlock.com/pdfs/7000-003 ... l_7_10.pdf

Ok,that helped.Thanks
<<

HerrMannelig

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Aside from documentation from the manufacturer, I imagine figuring out which key blank to use requires trial an error or going through the options.
<<

DennisK

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:57 am

HerrMannelig wrote:Aside from documentation from the manufacturer, I imagine figuring out which key blank to use requires trial an error or going through the options.

True,but I would have to take the lock to the hardware store,which would be ok I guess.
<<

Revinous

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:35 pm

How to post pictures?

How can I post a picture from my phone?
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:59 pm

Re: How to post pictures?

Revinous wrote:How can I post a picture from my phone?

You'll need a photo sharing app like imgur or photobucket. Upload your photo there then copy the url address suppliedin one of the windows. Paste that code into the replybox.

There's a thread on here that explains it better. I'll see if I can find it.
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=6755
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
Previous

Return to Uber-Noob