FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Binding order of pins

<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:07 am

Binding order of pins

In single pin picking there is the idea of " binding order of the pins"

When under tension in which order will the pins bind first.

If I gave the same lock to 100 skilled lockpickers would they all report the same binding order on that specific lock ?
<<

bouncer965

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:16 am

Re: Binding order of pins

I'd say its very likely. But then i may be wrong in thinking that it may depend on how much tension the individual picker is applying.
On one of my locks there seems to be 2 pins that i can set first to start the binding order, and it opens with both of these being set first.

Now in my short experience of picking locks, i find that if you have a pin that sets and goes into a false set, then the order of the following pins to be set would be the same all of the time. But im not as experienced as some of the guys here, just my experience so far!!!
[“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bouncer965
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:06 am

It would be split between those who pick to the left, and those who pick to the right.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:09 am

I would say that most would find the same binding order as long as they are tensioning in the same direction and using approximately the same amount of tension. The binding order is created because the chambers are not all drilled dead center on the plug, they are off to the left and right varying amounts. Better locks all chambers are closer to center, cheaper locks the distance off center is greater. I have heard of people saying they can pick a lock in any order they want, front to back, back to front with no binding order, but I do not see how this is possible. It is the binding order that makes the lock pickable. If all chambers were 100% on center then you would have to lift all pins to their shear line at the same exact time. Great question abroxis, that is just my thought on it, hopefully you get some more anwsers.
<<

abroxis

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:25 am

I also believe that binding order will be somewhat consistant given
tension in the same direction.

I had a debate once before on an other site about the usefullness of selling locks that had been properly tested for pin binding order.

Newbies have a problem determining the proper pin binding and the idea was that experianced techs could prescreen locks for a small fee and offer that information to help the customer.

Wonder if Uklockpicker would test out a practice lock and for an extra
pound or two advise the customer on what seems to be the proper
picking order?
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:51 am

I do believe that the binding order does matter in picking, but I seldom know the binding order of any lock that I pick. Nor do I ever try to find it. I may not have the best way but I just start picking and feeling what the pins are doing. From that way I find success.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

loki

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:28 am

Binding order is largley a function of the chambers lying left or right of centerline. Though, tolerances with the pins-in any given stack- can also play a role.

Return to Uber-Noob