FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Master Follower

<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist
Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Master Follower

I don't like hollow follower's, I have a set of the HPC's at my computer desk for when I want to take a cylinder apart.
When I'm relaxing, and want to take a cylinder apart, the last thing I want is the drivers, and springs to fall through the follower and land on the floor. As far as the master follows go I don't like them. How do you know if there arn't more pins up there, ever worked on a Sargent cylinder with a 5 or bigger master pin, it wont fall through the troth(?)
I always let all the pins come out, that way you can see whats in there, and can check the condition off the springs. If you have worked on a couple of cylinders you must know it onley takes a few seconds more.
The only reason that I say this is becouse I have rekeyed a few locks with master pins stil in them ( that I didn't know were there ) and the key woudn't go all the way in, To much stuff in the bible.
Hope I didn't offend anyone, just my 2 cents.

selim
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:40 pm

For most of us old pros, it is only a matter of control to remove the pins from a cylinder. I always do so when rekeying locks, to make sure there are no pins stuck in the chambers, and to make sure the springs are all in good shape. I have a master follower, because I am a tool collecting fool! The job can be done without the fancy tools.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

ChicoSlim803

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:01 pm

selim i dont think you offended anyone. and magician59 thanks for the small tidbit.
Previous

Return to Uber-Noob