FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Having touble with restrictive keyways

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: Having touble with restrictive keyways

I use a regular HPC hook on them always and I never seem to have any problems picking them. It takes practice and maybe I had to use what I had for so long I just make it work. I could see a rytan fitting alot better though, they do have some badass slimline picks thats for sure!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:08 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:I use a regular HPC hook on them always and I never seem to have any problems picking them. It takes practice and maybe I had to use what I had for so long I just make it work. I could see a rytan fitting alot better though, they do have some badass slimline picks thats for sure!

I'm goin gto keep at it with my HPC. It's just going to take some practice with these americans. But on the other hand I guess I'm going to look into getting a few rytan. U guys have sparked my interest now. I assume that when you guys are talking about the slimline picks that you're talking about the "Miniature Tip Picks" style? There are only two styles right? regular picks and miniture tip? And within the regular size picks or "Miniature Tip Picks" there is a difference in the ergonomic handle and the regular handle??Thanks! OH has anyone ordered from these people before? http://www.keybitslockandkey.com/losang ... ksmith.htm
Do they require all kinds of credentials? when you put something in your cart you have to click on an agreement that you are not going to use the tools for illegal purposes. Of course I clicked no. After that there is not chekcout button! Just a get estemate. You have to put in your basic info and they say someone will be getting back to you soon...Soooooo. I'm not sure.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Your HPC's should be able to produce results. They are fine picks. Check out their slimmer .022 tools if you can find them. The Rytan's are an aquired taste. Very thin, ultra slim even. The only reason I cannot carry any in my pocket, is the comfy ergo handle takes up so much room it kills my capacity. It's definately not for a loss of feedback. If I ran into Best W keyways every day it would be a different story and I would make room.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:48 pm

I have one Rytan pick, it's got a slimline diamond on one end and the other has a slimline hook, I like it and it is a good tool to have on hand, but it is not comfy, it has a very small handle and sort of cuts into your hand a little, but when I need something small with a precision touch I grab it. It has very good feedback, probably the best out of all factory picks I have used. I don't see myself ever buying a set of these but a few select ones wouldn't hurt.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:37 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:Your HPC's should be able to produce results. They are fine picks. Check out their slimmer .022 tools if you can find them. The Rytan's are an aquired taste. Very thin, ultra slim even. The only reason I cannot carry any in my pocket, is the comfy ergo handle takes up so much room it kills my capacity. It's definately not for a loss of feedback. If I ran into Best W keyways every day it would be a different story and I would make room.

Any advice on pointing me where I could find the slimmer .022 HPC picks? I've done alot of reading and shopping and I dont think I've ever come across them. I may have to just order an HPC catalog. I assume they would be listed in there.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:27 am

Riff wrote:
ToolyMcgee wrote:Your HPC's should be able to produce results. They are fine picks. Check out their slimmer .022 tools if you can find them. The Rytan's are an aquired taste. Very thin, ultra slim even. The only reason I cannot carry any in my pocket, is the comfy ergo handle takes up so much room it kills my capacity. It's definately not for a loss of feedback. If I ran into Best W keyways every day it would be a different story and I would make room.

Any advice on pointing me where I could find the slimmer .022 HPC picks? I've done alot of reading and shopping and I dont think I've ever come across them. I may have to just order an HPC catalog. I assume they would be listed in there.

Look here:
http://www.hpcworld.com/Picks/p_picks.htm

then here:
http://www.hpcworld.com/Picks/p_2ksspx.htm

and finally here:

http://www.lockpickersmall.com/pip2000.html

[Edit: Ck these out also - don't know how thick they are. Call these guys and they'll probably tell you. By the name you can assume he's not going to give you a rash of shit.]

http://www.lockpickersmall.com/singlepicks.html

Here's some 0.22's: http://www.lockpickersmall.com/hpc-sprsteelpicks.html

I think these are 0.20's

http://www.lockpickersmall.com/ssp.html
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:27 am

the lockpickkid wrote:I have one Rytan pick, it's got a slimline diamond on one end and the other has a slimline hook, I like it and it is a good tool to have on hand, but it is not comfy, it has a very small handle and sort of cuts into your hand a little, but when I need something small with a precision touch I grab it. It has very good feedback, probably the best out of all factory picks I have used. I don't see myself ever buying a set of these but a few select ones wouldn't hurt.

I have a few of the same double-ender. It's my go to tool of first choice.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Well, I just measured my picks they are mostly all .022 I think but you better call to ask, I think I got them in a superior pick set, they might be standard in this, anybody ??
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks for the links Hallis! I've got an HPC catalog on the way. That should help some with seeing eveyrthing they offer.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Hallis, I already have the HPC SSP-31 (slim shorthook). I didnt realize it. I got it with an order I made a long time ago. What I dont like about his pick is that it has a rounded tip which I dont care for. It's very thin, which I like, but I dont like that rounded tip. So I guess ordering the HPC slimline is out. Since the shorthook has a rounded tip. On the HPC website it looks flat and also in my foley catalog it looks flat. But it's not. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Maybe take a grinder to the tip and make it flat??? I wish HPC made a slimline shorthook that has a flat tip rather than a rounded one :( Any suggestions??? I think I have two choices. 1. very carefully try to flatten out the rounded tip of the HPC. or 2. Go with another brand that has a slim profile and a flat tip. Thanks in advance as always.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:45 pm

It's ok to customize your tools for your own preference, I have done it before, don't use a grinder to modify it though, you will end up taking way too much off, use a warding file and take just a little at a time.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:02 pm

Riff wrote:Hallis, I already have the HPC SSP-31 (slim shorthook). I didnt realize it. I got it with an order I made a long time ago. What I dont like about his pick is that it has a rounded tip which I dont care for. It's very thin, which I like, but I dont like that rounded tip. So I guess ordering the HPC slimline is out. Since the shorthook has a rounded tip. On the HPC website it looks flat and also in my foley catalog it looks flat. But it's not. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Maybe take a grinder to the tip and make it flat??? I wish HPC made a slimline shorthook that has a flat tip rather than a rounded one :( Any suggestions??? I think I have two choices. 1. very carefully try to flatten out the rounded tip of the HPC. or 2. Go with another brand that has a slim profile and a flat tip. Thanks in advance as always.

Like The Kid said: DO NOT USE A GRINDER! You'll get shaky hands and make an uneven cut, or overheat the steel.

Get yourself a file, lay it flat on a workbench or other work area (not the dining room table) and gently run the round tip of the pick across the file in a direction away from you. Keep the same angle on the pick every time you do it and just knock off a bit at a time. Keep doing it until you get the flatness you want.

If you really want to get fancy, finish it off with a couple of passes from a small round file and make the tip concave. That way you can "cup" the tip of the pin when you pick.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:39 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
Riff wrote:Hallis, I already have the HPC SSP-31 (slim shorthook). I didnt realize it. I got it with an order I made a long time ago. What I dont like about his pick is that it has a rounded tip which I dont care for. It's very thin, which I like, but I dont like that rounded tip. So I guess ordering the HPC slimline is out. Since the shorthook has a rounded tip. On the HPC website it looks flat and also in my foley catalog it looks flat. But it's not. I'm not sure what else to do at this point. Maybe take a grinder to the tip and make it flat??? I wish HPC made a slimline shorthook that has a flat tip rather than a rounded one :( Any suggestions??? I think I have two choices. 1. very carefully try to flatten out the rounded tip of the HPC. or 2. Go with another brand that has a slim profile and a flat tip. Thanks in advance as always.

Like The Kid said: DO NOT USE A GRINDER! You'll get shaky hands and make an uneven cut, or overheat the steel.

Get yourself a file, lay it flat on a workbench or other work area (not the dining room table) and gently run the round tip of the pick across the file in a direction away from you. Keep the same angle on the pick every time you do it and just knock off a bit at a time. Keep doing it until you get the flatness you want.

If you really want to get fancy, finish it off with a couple of passes from a small round file and make the tip concave. That way you can "cup" the tip of the pin when you pick.

I'm gonna give it a try. Can ya recommend another pick or brand that I wouldnt have to alter that is slim like that with a flat top??? besides Rytan, they seem to be a little hard to get a hold of.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:06 am

I would just file it flat, but I think Southord has a slimline that might be what your looking for, as much as I hate them, and it would bend easy when you were using it. I would just utilize the HPC and just carefully shape it a little. Be careful though, the metal is of good quality but one pass with a file takes alot off, just go real easy with short strokes, checking everytime what it looks like. Try to remember also that constant switching between brands of picks hurts your sense of touch and feedback considerably at times because every pick feels different and you can't get used to them. I used an old Southord today messing around and I couldn't even feel the pins with it because my fingers didn't have any feeling for them.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:17 am

Riff wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

I'm gonna give it a try. Can ya recommend another pick or brand that I wouldnt have to alter that is slim like that with a flat top??? besides Rytan, they seem to be a little hard to get a hold of.

Try a Peterson Steel Slender pick made out of 0.15" steel.

http://www.peterson-international.com/picks/slenders.html

Or go here and look at the Slender Gem or the set of Stainless Slenders

http://www.peterson-international.com/i_core.html

Or try the Deep Cut Access Picks - specifically the Lifter Pick

http://www.peterson-international.com/picks/specialty.html
Previous

Return to Uber-Noob