FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Bitting numbers.

<<

MrKasserne

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:18 am

Bitting numbers.

What is bitting numbers :?: (i thnk its called that) like : 16339

What does it mean :?:

And how do i know which number the bitting is :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Started picking at my birthday (My birthday 2009) when i got my first REAL lock challenge!

Locks picked: 11

Latest lock picked: Master 150

Working With: Abus 65/40
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:29 am

Re: Bitting numbers.

MrKasserne wrote:What is bitting numbers :?: (i thnk its called that) like : 16339

What does it mean :?:

And how do i know which number the bitting is :?:

"Bittting numbers" are the numbers stamped on a key that show the pin depths (in the tumbler) and thus allow the locksmith to cut the key blank on a cutting machine to make a new key.
<<

MrKasserne

Familiar Face

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:42 am

Ahh okay thanks :!:
Started picking at my birthday (My birthday 2009) when i got my first REAL lock challenge!

Locks picked: 11

Latest lock picked: Master 150

Working With: Abus 65/40
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:20 am

sometimes the numbers stamped on a key, will be like pk629, this is a code, code software will tell you what the bitting numbers are and what blank, in this case, a metal tool box on my pickup, with all my expensive tools in it, also a 32 magnum under the front seat!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

GutterClown

Post Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:sometimes the numbers stamped on a key, will be like pk629, this is a code, code software will tell you what the bitting numbers are and what blank, in this case, a metal tool box on my pickup, with all my expensive tools in it, also a 32 magnum under the front seat!

PK629 is a key code. This is an Indirect code, meaning it does not show anything that directly corresponds with the bitting of the key.
(Example: Code PK629 could have cuts 13321)

41694 however, stamped on a Kwikset key is a Direct code. This is the exact cutting code, or the Bitting of the key.

"Bitting" = Cuts on the key.
<<

quaiboi

Familiar Face

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:22 am

ok for example....the key code is 58137..(sorry i cant use gutterclwn's example coz it will be confusing).....ok the number 5 is the bitting nearest to the handle/bow/the part where u hold?.......and the number 7 is the furthest from the handle/bow/the part where u hold?..so it's the first bitting that enters the lockwhen u insert the key

not sure if it was the Qn u asked....but still....additional info is no harm :)
GutterClown wrote:PK629 is a key code. This is an Indirect code, meaning it does not show anything that directly corresponds with the bitting of the key.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:45 am

quaiboi wrote:ok for example....the key code is 58137..(sorry i cant use gutterclwn's example coz it will be confusing).....ok the number 5 is the bitting nearest to the handle/bow/the part where u hold?.......and the number 7 is the furthest from the handle/bow/the part where u hold?..so it's the first bitting that enters the lockwhen u insert the key

not sure if it was the Qn u asked....but still....additional info is no harm :)
GutterClown wrote:PK629 is a key code. This is an Indirect code, meaning it does not show anything that directly corresponds with the bitting of the key.

Yep, that is true, but.... flat steel keys, for safe deposit boxes and such, always are coded from tip to bow, and if somebody can help me out!!! I think there are a few other regular keys that are coded this way as well??
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:46 pm

If I had to guess a key that is tip stopped eg. Best would be numbed from tip to bow but again just a guess.

Return to Uber-Noob