FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Trouble feeling the pins.

<<

vortexnl

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:28 pm

Trouble feeling the pins.

Hi, I just started lockpicking a few days ago, and simple pin tumbler locks arent hard for me anymore.

But I have a little problem, I'm having trouble actually feeling the pins.
I can feel them, but usually I can't count how many pins there are, because the locks are sometimes too cramped up.

Therefore, when I'm faced with a security pin. I sometimes forget where it was.

Does anyone maybe have some tips for me how to improve my navigation though a lock?

Thanks in advance mates!
<<

barbarian

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:35 pm

Re: Trouble feeling the pins.

The lock shouldn't be that "cramped up". If the lock is full of crud, it could be very hard to pick, you might want to clean it first and be sure it's lightly oiled.

If it's a new clean lock, then you are holding WAY too much tension.

I started with a deadbolt with only two or three pins, then kept adding pins as I learned. I found that better than a padlock for me. Just because you could take it apart and know what was going on inside, then feel the pins and relate the information. Plus you can change the order of the pins and it's like a different lock.
<<

vortexnl

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:21 am

Well the locks I have, are not that old, but not brand new either.
Also, they are kinda small. so maybe a little too small to SPP with knowing what is going on.
<<

GutterClown

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:06 am

What locks are you actually using? Can you take photos?

Small keyways aren't the best to be learning on, you'll want something with a decent size so you can learn how to use the tools.

Just like a doctor uses a scalpel, you'll grow accustomed to using your lockpicks and they'll become extensions of your hands. Don't rush this, it will come naturally.

barbarian's suggestion is a good one, start with fewer pins. Go and buy yourself a relatively cheap double-cylinder deadbolt, you get two for around the price of one. See if you can see the key and the bitting when you're buying it, and pick something with a better variation in the pins.
<<

vortexnl

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:45 am

Thanks for all the great comments, I will go to the "lock-shop" in an hour and see what they have to offer ;)

Do you think they will be disturbed by the fact I am using it to lock-pick or isn't that a problem?
<<

vortexnl

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:19 am

Here is a picture of the locks I am currently working with.
<<

barbarian

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:38 am

Those locks look a bit small for easy picking. Your tools can bind up inside. Try to find something with a more "normal" sized keyway.

I seem to have better luck at a do it yourself home building supplies store. They have a selection of cheap locks that are good for practice. You can also try yard sales, car boot sales etc.

The lock store might not be impressed by your choice of hobby. Sometimes they jump to conclusions. I think it's best to remain silent about the final use of the lock. Also if it's a locksmith, they might only have good quality locks there. Some locksmiths only carry the top end stuff because they can't compete on the cheap locks carried by the discount stores.

Once you get good at picking and want to try something more exotic, then the locksmith is a good choice. Also once you have some knowledge about locks, and can "talk shop" a bit with them, they may have some old throw away locks in their junk pile they will sell or give you.
<<

vortexnl

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:14 am

barbarian wrote:Those locks look a bit small for easy picking. Your tools can bind up inside. Try to find something with a more "normal" sized keyway.

I seem to have better luck at a do it yourself home building supplies store. They have a selection of cheap locks that are good for practice. You can also try yard sales, car boot sales etc.

The lock store might not be impressed by your choice of hobby. Sometimes they jump to conclusions. I think it's best to remain silent about the final use of the lock. Also if it's a locksmith, they might only have good quality locks there. Some locksmiths only carry the top end stuff because they can't compete on the cheap locks carried by the discount stores.

Once you get good at picking and want to try something more exotic, then the locksmith is a good choice. Also once you have some knowledge about locks, and can "talk shop" a bit with them, they may have some old throw away locks in their junk pile they will sell or give you.

Thanks mate! makes sense!
<<

THEsourman

Familiar Face

Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:53 pm

i had a simular problem...
use a thinner / smaller tension wrench
and try putting a litle less pressure

Return to Uber-Noob