FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Offset diamond question

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Offset diamond question

I have a quick question guys. I've been using my HPC offset diamond for a while now. I ordered it from foley. (link below to it) The problem I'm having is that it is bending. I'm trying to use the least force possible when picking but it still wants to bend downward. Taking the offset bend out of it. It's a stainless steel pick. I'm wondering if I'm just using to much force with it or what. Sometimes with security pins ya have to pry a little ya know??? I'm much easier on my tools now, I've learned that. I'm wondering if when I started picking if I was using to much force and now it is weak and bends more easily. Can anyone recomend a better brand offset diamond than HPC? One that is a bit stronger and wont bend like that?? I love my HPC full set, and I have NEVER bent any other pick but this one. I'm about to order a couple more of the same HPC pick. But I dont want them to bend on me. It seems like its a bit harder to find offset diamonds than other picks. Thanks ahead of time for the advice. Riff

https://shop-foley-belsaw.com/foley/IAFDispatcher
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Re: Offset diamond question

if you have been using HPC's stay with them, that's my advice, switching between different brand pick screwed me up when I was first learning to pick, HPC does make some thicker picks I have seen them, I don't know how to specify that when ordering though, I am sure you could get a thicker one in the offset diamond, somebody else may have to confirm this for you. Also, you are probably alot looser handed than you were when you first started, you may have better luck now with them. I also think you are right about the pick being weaker now, once they bend several times in the same spot they will lose a little bit of temper for sure. If you think you had problems with this hook bending, try a set of Southords, they will bend very easy.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:38 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:if you have been using HPC's stay with them, that's my advice, switching between different brand pick screwed me up when I was first learning to pick, HPC does make some thicker picks I have seen them, I don't know how to specify that when ordering though, I am sure you could get a thicker one in the offset diamond, somebody else may have to confirm this for you. Also, you are probably alot looser handed than you were when you first started, you may have better luck now with them. I also think you are right about the pick being weaker now, once they bend several times in the same spot they will lose a little bit of temper for sure. If you think you had problems with this hook bending, try a set of Southords, they will bend very easy.

Yea I was actually considering trying a southord offset. But if they are weaker I'll stay away. Foley offers two kinds of individual picks (in HPC). They offer 2000 series stainless steel (what I have now in the offset) and spring steel picks with stainless handles. BUT, they do not offer an offset diamond in the spring steel. That's what kinda throwing me off. Why they have offset diamond in one but not the other. My set of HPC's didnt have an offset included. I had to order it seperate. I'm still looking for something stronger if it's out there. But then again, it's probably bending now because its weak because when I started I was very heavy handed. Thanks!! Riff
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Maybe try Peterson?
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:41 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:Maybe try Peterson?

Peterson has some hooked diamonds in Gov't steel: http://www.peterson-international.com/picks/gov_steel.html

And also carbon steel: http://www.peterson-international.com/picks/spring_steel.html

I have the gov't steel and it's decent pick. You do need to polish it and get it smoothed out.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:01 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:

Peterson has some hooked diamonds in Gov't steel: http://www.peterson-international.com/picks/gov_steel.html

And also carbon steel: http://www.peterson-international.com/picks/spring_steel.html

I have the gov't steel and it's decent pick. You do need to polish it and get it smoothed out.

Hallis, have you ordered from these guys before? I have heard that you have to have an Aloa number? Is this correct or not? I know you can get there picks other places, but from the Peterson site I thought you had to enter this info.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:37 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

Hallis, have you ordered from these guys before? I have heard that you have to have an Aloa number? Is this correct or not? I know you can get there picks other places, but from the Peterson site I thought you had to enter this info.

Yes, I've ordered from Peterson's. Several times as a matter of fact - and no, you don't need a ALOA number to buy stuff from them. I know they ask for it on their order form - but I always leave it blank. I've been buying tools, picks, etc., from them for several years now, with no problem.

However, I have never bought bump keys from them. :cry:

Other than that, it's all good. I even have a yearly subscription to The Independent Locksmith Journal.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:42 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
the lockpickkid wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

Yes, I've ordered from Peterson's. Several times as a matter of fact - and no, you don't need a ALOA number to buy stuff from them. I know they ask for it on their order form - but I always leave it blank. I've been buying tools, picks, etc., from them for several years now, with no problem.

Other than that, it's all good. I even have a yearly subscription to The Independent Locksmith Journal.

Thanks Hallis! Very good info to know.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:44 pm

Riff wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:
the lockpickkid wrote:
HallisChalmers wrote:

Thanks Hallis! Very good info to know.

Money talks - especially nowdays.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:20 pm

How do you like that magazine Hallis? I have never looked at one, do they have good info? AND thanks for your comments on my youtube, I appreciate it.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:44 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:How do you like that magazine Hallis? I have never looked at one, do they have good info?

I've had a subscription for 2 years now and it's a decent magazine in my opinion. Of course, it's geared for the professional locksmith (which I am not) and not really for the hobbyist picker. Consequently, the articles are more business preactice oriented - and the technical articles are not for wimps.

Because this is a locksmith trade publication, you gotta be a real lock-geek to appreciate the magazine. But they do have very good technical articles - in fact, they ran a multi-part series on key impressioning that I thought was great. A hardcore, obssessive/compulsive lockpicker will enjoy looking at the pretty pictures of locks and tools.

For the price, it's not bad. Plus it will now be offered in a PDF form - so no more having to scan article pages and converting them to PDF.

Return to Uber-Noob