FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Question for the pros..

<<

Gonewild

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:16 am

Question for the pros..

Hey everyone. Got a quick question for anyone able to help. I purchased a few locks from the hardware store down the road, and i seem to be running into the same problem with all my locks. I know its probably a beginner problem, but just need a little guidance. I have some euro slims, and when i am trying to set some of the pins, they seem to be pushing back so hard that i am scared i will break the pick. I have tried numerous amounts of tension, and tried to switch the pin order. Just hope someone can help an aspiring LP/ Thanks
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Re: Question for the pros..

I have hands like a Xmas ham - so euro picks tend to bend with me - and I can't tell you how many I've broken. All of the problems were directly related to me and my awkwardness when I first started picking.

As you get more experienced and acclimated to what tactile feedback the pins are giving you - you'll get used to it. The hardest thing to learn is patience and a light touch. Remember the old axiom: "Slow is Fast and Fast is Slow".

Kung fu death grips are not permitted in lockpicking - you gotta make "love" to the lock - talk to it, try to undersatnd it and all of its idiosyncrasies. Foreplay brother - that's 9/10ths of the game.
<<

Gonewild

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:15 pm

Great explanation Hallis, you should right a book heh.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.
<<

mjw10210

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:25 pm

i have a set of slimline pics but i keep them put up so my big hands dont f them up.

point is get a standerd set 

like peterson thier the 
<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:15 pm

how do you type like this  <------ i copied it
<<

spaz101

Post Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:34 pm

I still have this problem that's why I was kind of timid on putting money down on a klom set. I also have a problem with the cylinder getting stuck to the point I can completely remove my finger and it can stay at 1 o'clock. (wrong wrench I believe). I have a problem with picking the wrong tools too.
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:01 pm

spaz101 wrote:I still have this problem that's why I was kind of timid on putting money down on a klom set. I also have a problem with the cylinder getting stuck to the point I can completely remove my finger and it can stay at 1 o'clock. (wrong wrench I believe). I have a problem with picking the wrong tools too.

I would venture to say that in 70 to 80% of cases - a short hook can pick most of the pin tumbler locks out there. The other 20 - 30% will probably require a hybrid half-diamond - or deep cut access pick.

http://www.peterson-international.com/picksets_detail.html#DCAP-3

If the cylinder is hanging up, you probably have some crud or shavings from the brass pins that are binding things up. Douche out the keyway with brake cleaner - or maybe just use one of those compressed air cannisters used to clean computer keyboards.
<<

spaz101

Post Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:52 pm

That's a good idea... I haven't actually sprayed them out. I actually have cleaning product for rubbers and metals to remove grease oil ink blah blah blah. It dries and doesn't attract dust. its called autowash 6000 or something like that. It helps me make things shine too kinda like neverdull. I was thinking it was my tool binding the damn locks
<<

Gonewild

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:05 am

I'm headed to the store right now to grab something up. I've seen a lot of people talking about stp lube. Ill try that as well. Thanks guys
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:44 am

Gonewild wrote:I'm headed to the store right now to grab something up. I've seen a lot of people talking about stp lube. Ill try that as well. Thanks guys

STOP!

DON'T USE STP!

Use BreakFree or some other non-petroleum based lubricant - like silicone.

Any of that sticky oily 3 in 1 Oil, WD-40 shit will suck in lint, dirt, cooties, crabs, etc., into the lock guts like a magnet.

I know 20 guys will jump in after me and tell you I'm full of brown fecal matter and that they have been using STP and a special blend of motor oil and ATF fluid to lubricate their locks for years with nary a problem.

That may be all well and good, but a good dry, lubricant is what you need. You don't need dust bunnies hanging off your locks like whacked out anal warts, trust me.
<<

Gonewild

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:01 am

Thanks guys, glad i didnt leave yet.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:30 am

What about silicon based Remington gun oil? That's what I've been using. I do like the idea of brake cleaner dissipating. Thats probably what I'm gonna go pick up as well. Most of the time I'm picking in my room and gun oil ends up everywhere.
<<

l0ckp1cker

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Why not get a silicon based lubricant especially for locks?
I use CFS (Griffon) Lockspray and a can of 150ml costs around 4GBP.
Well worth it as it already helped me cleaning up locks which were completely stuck from rust and dirt.
I'm sure better will be available, but this stuff is already much better then WD-40 ;)
Started picking on 23 Feb 2009. Current Stats: Picked 164 different locks so far.
Latest Victory: ABUS EC75/50
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:53 pm

Riff wrote:What about silicon based Remington gun oil? That's what I've been using. I do like the idea of brake cleaner dissipating. Thats probably what I'm gonna go pick up as well. Most of the time I'm picking in my room and gun oil ends up everywhere.

I would say that the silicone based lubricants are pretty safe for locks - however the petroleum based lubes tend to gunk things up.
<<

Gonewild

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Hey where can you find some of that CFS spray? I live in a small town, so i might have to order it via the interweb, or go into a bigger town.
Next

Return to Uber-Noob