FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Rytan pick advice

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Rytan pick advice

Hey guys I'm about to order some Rytan picks to add to my collection. Can u guys give me any advice on which to order? I'm not ordering a complete set. Just individual picks. Obviously I'm going to get some hooks. I'm looking at SLP-12 (standard hook) and the RXPL-12 (also a standard hook with a different handle). Can u guys recomend any other Rytan picks I should pick up while making this order???? Thanks in advance for the advice.....I'm including a link that might be helpful that shows all of the Rytan picks. Thanks again..........Riff

http://www.rytan.com/cgi-bin/detail.php?pn=LOCK%20PICKS
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Rytan pick advice

I have one Rytan pick, I love it and some day I would like to try some different ones, the one I have is a slimline short hook diamond combo, diamond on one end and short hook on other, I love this one pick, the small hook fits into tight places and with just a small amount of effort I can set alot of pins with it. The feel is great, two small strips of metal sandwiched together, a light weight very thin pick, but very durable. It stays in my pick case that I use on the road, I wouldn't carry a set of picks without it.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:11 pm

I just took a look at the link you had to there site, I don't remember being able to order these as easy as faxing the form in before, It seemed like you had to jump through hoops to get there tools. I really like the 50 piece set, I am not a fan of buying these big sets but if you look at what you get, it's a good deal, there is no junk tools in there set, everything looks to me like it would be used. Only thing that bothers me about buying these is that we don't see a lot of people talking about these tools, I don't hear anything bad about them, but I would like to get a review from somebody that actually uses these, those curved handles look cool, but are they functional? I bet Gutterclown has used these and maybe he can tell us if they are actually worth buying over HPC, if they are good I could see myself buying a set of these in the future.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

GutterClown

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:10 am

How come everyone picks on me :(

Yes, I have used these. My boss has a Rytan set, often I've used his when mine are one step too far away.

They're thin, they're strong, but they don't like bending or being flexed.
Just the other day I noticed the riffle rake (RLPX-18) had a stress fracture in the tip, caused either by a weak design, or his heavy hands.

The stainless steel used to manufacture these are on a scale of hardness above Petersons Gov. steel. Hardness incurs more brittleness.
HPC -> Gov. Steel. -> Rytan

Also worth noting, these are not full-tang picks. The handles cover a stubby end cast into the plastic.

As for feedback, they're perfectly usable. I've only used the full-sized plastic curved handles.

I would recommend buying samples of these on par with Petersons, not to replace your basic, replacable utility tools that may be occupied by HPC and Majestic.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:14 pm

Thanks Gutterclown. I knew you could give us some good info. :mrgreen:
Riff
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:30 pm

If they are not full tang I can't buy them, I just don't want something made like that, I would have them broke I think.
<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:48 pm

the lockpickkid wrote:If they are not full tang I can't buy them, I just don't want something made like that, I would have them broke I think.

What exactly is full tang? Is full tang when the pick goes all the way down into the handle? So a pick that is not full tang would be all handle, with a pick stuck to the end of it??
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:01 pm

Riff wrote:
the lockpickkid wrote:If they are not full tang I can't buy them, I just don't want something made like that, I would have them broke I think.

What exactly is full tang? Is full tang when the pick goes all the way down into the handle? So a pick that is not full tang would be all handle, with a pick stuck to the end of it??

yep..you nailed it.
full tang means the core runs the full length of the handle.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Riff

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:28 pm

awol70 wrote:
Riff wrote:

yep..you nailed it.
full tang means the core runs the full length of the handle.

Thanks Wizz!! learn something new every day. heh
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:27 am

I am sure they are good picks, and I may still get some someday, but, I just worry about them being sturdy, knowbody in there right mind would buy a knife if it wasn't full tang, well these picks are the same way, unless they are made better than the picture I have in my mind.

Return to Uber-Noob