FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Just another lock question.

<<

Jinglesanator

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:17 pm

Just another lock question.

What did i do to my lock? First it's a Brinks R70 disk. I can pick it...have the pin order subliminally memorized. But....I can't open it with the key anymore. I have no idea why...can someone help?
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:05 pm

Re: Just another lock question.

Jinglesanator wrote:What did i do to my lock? First it's a Brinks R70 disk. I can pick it...have the pin order subliminally memorized. But....I can't open it with the key anymore. I have no idea why...can someone help?

you probably raked the $#iT out of it ,wearing one ore more pins down a fraction of a depth increment.
(SPP will have the same effect just takes longer.)
let me guess ...you picked it about 2200 times?
look at your key...if it is not worn,your pins are.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Jinglesanator

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:15 pm

awol70 wrote:
Jinglesanator wrote:What did i do to my lock? First it's a Brinks R70 disk. I can pick it...have the pin order subliminally memorized. But....I can't open it with the key anymore. I have no idea why...can someone help?

you probably raked the $#iT out of it ,wearing one ore more pins down a fraction of a depth increment.
(SPP will have the same effect just takes longer.)
let me guess ...you picked it about 2200 times?
look at your key...if it is not worn,your pins are.

That's it :D i rake/spp it all the time....makes me feel good cuz it's like the only lock w/ security pins i can pick :mrgreen: Key's perfect...barely use it. :D
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:09 pm

I have done this to a few locks myself, I picked them so much that the key no longer works. You know when you pick for a while, take out the pick and rub both sides of it on your finger, it will be covered in brass, that is your pins!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:12 pm

I used to know all this stuff, but i left and stopped picking so now i'm back to phase noob :D thanks for the help!
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:46 pm

Jinglesanator wrote:
That's it :D i rake/spp it all the time....makes me feel good cuz it's like the only lock w/ security pins i can pick :mrgreen: Key's perfect...barely use it. :D

Rake your teeth with your lockpick one day and you'll know what the poor pins feel when you are wailing on them.
<<

GutterClown

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:32 am

re-finish your picks. if you're using factory stamped picks, they'll be terribly finished.
if you're using home-made picks, you didn't put enough effort into final stages of polishing.

Simple method of checking if the pins are worn, insert your key, start turning it, and pull back a little. this will lift the pins slightly.
should turn.
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:38 am

GutterClown wrote:re-finish your picks. if you're using factory stamped picks, they'll be terribly finished.
if you're using home-made picks, you didn't put enough effort into final stages of polishing.

Simple method of checking if the pins are worn, insert your key, start turning it, and pull back a little. this will lift the pins slightly.
should turn.

I must have really messed this lock up cuz It won't even turn when i do that. :oops: But when i make picks should i round the long part (that goes into the lock) because it is kinda in a box shape. Would that help?
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

GutterClown

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:58 pm

When you file \ grind your picks, or when the factory stamps \ laser cuts them, there will always be fine serations on the edges and corners. These act exactly the same as tiny files, filing away at the bottoms of the pins.
Viciously raking locks with picks that have not been finished correctly will eventually (and sometimes, very quickly) wear the pins.

Now you've seen it first hand, learn from it, and prevent it in the future.

This is why we say, Never practice on locks you depend on :)
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Guilty ! i may end up ducking the comp' over exactly this issue ,
i hope to be able to replace my locks pins and get a video shot
before it's to late
:roll:
Open Sez Me !
<<

keymaker

Post Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Another option that has happened in the past is a worn spring. Try this and see if this works and you'll be able to tell what the problem is. Shoot some WD-40 very well inside the keyway; Run the key in and out and spray it once more. Make sure the pins are facing the top of the keyway and try to use the key. Try this with the pins facing the bottom too. If the key works fine with pins on top of the keyway and wont on the bottom, then you have one or more worn springs. If it's the same both ways, then refer to comments above.
-J-

When all else fails, use a hammer...a really Big one!

Locksmith Technician
<<

Jinglesanator

Post Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:06 pm

keymaker wrote:Another option that has happened in the past is a worn spring. Try this and see if this works and you'll be able to tell what the problem is. Shoot some WD-40 very well inside the keyway; Run the key in and out and spray it once more. Make sure the pins are facing the top of the keyway and try to use the key. Try this with the pins facing the bottom too. If the key works fine with pins on top of the keyway and wont on the bottom, then you have one or more worn springs. If it's the same both ways, then refer to comments above.

Doesn't WD-40 kick the crap outa locks? Really ruins them in the long run..not like that lock is gunna last much longer. :mrgreen:
Image Keep on Pushin'
<<

keymaker

Post Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:23 pm

Yes and No. WD40 is a great lubricant and Very great lock cleaner. The only problem is it dries out faster than other lubricants. I recommend spray the lock until nothing but the WD40 comes out of the lock, let it dry for a couple days and use another lubricant that will last longer. I typically use WD-40 and then Lok-Shot...made for automotive locks mainly but just as effective on other locks as well.
-J-

When all else fails, use a hammer...a really Big one!

Locksmith Technician

Return to Uber-Noob