FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Totally Newbie - After Advice

<<

newpicker

Post Sun May 10, 2009 8:39 am

Totally Newbie - After Advice

Hi All,
My friend managed to loose the keys to an Oxford padlock and in an effort to try and findout a way to get it off I came across the idea of picking the lock. As I read up a little I became interested in learnig about lock picking out of interest and as a challenge.

So here I am never picked a lock or even attempted to. So looking for advice as to how to go about learning to pick locks and what equipment I may need to get going.

I read on here about a pick set which seems to have been recieved well on here KLOM 22 PICK SET at http://www.uklockpickers.co.uk/oscommer ... nd8mde6ia4

Looking forward to you replies :D
<<

uklockpicker

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Post Sun May 10, 2009 8:53 am

Re: Totally Newbie - After Advice

Welcome newpicker,

You cant go wrong with 11pc or 22pc , Its an excellent pickset for new lockpickers, Also comes with a set of tension tools..

You can start picking locks now !using paper clips / hair clips - i opend my 1st lock with 2 paper clips - That was it (hooooked)

I'd advise you to search the forum take a good look around,ask questions if you dont understand.....Oh and there is shed loads of info on u-tube,
<<

omegaman

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Got to go with the last 2 posts you wont go wrong with a Klom set as for locks cheap padlocks master 150 or master 140 small brass padlocks
that was what I started off with they dont have security pins but you will get the feel for picking the pins the secret is practice practice practice
hope this helps
<<

newpicker

Post Sun May 10, 2009 1:03 pm

hi all thanks for the quick replies.

I am still debating whether to get the KLOM 22 PICK set or the KLOM 11 Pcik set. Is it better to get one rather than the other ?

As far as I can make out the 11 set has tension wrenches but the 22 ser doesnt seem to..so would have to buy some as well.

As a newbie I dont really understand the implication of whats in the different sets making my decision as which to get harder.....
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun May 10, 2009 1:39 pm

newpicker wrote:hi all thanks for the quick replies.

I am still debating whether to get the KLOM 22 PICK set or the KLOM 11 Pcik set. Is it better to get one rather than the other ?

As far as I can make out the 11 set has tension wrenches but the 22 ser doesnt seem to..so would have to buy some as well.

As a newbie I dont really understand the implication of whats in the different sets making my decision as which to get harder.....

I would go for the 11 pce..
the extra picks you get in the 22 pce will rarely see the light of day.
(especially the auto picks.)
i have the 22 pce set, 11 of them i have never used.
and that's my two cents.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sun May 10, 2009 2:33 pm

Trust me it's fun to pull out your pick set and lay them all out, put on your surgical gown, rubber gloves, mask and start "operating" on a lock. But that get's old quick - and like most of the guys will tell you, after a while you really only end up using a few of those picks.

The rest of them end up in your tool box like old girlfriends - unloved and unused. :cry:

In my case - after a few years of picking, I use a ProLok short hook and one of Ratyoke's custom made hybrid half diamonds for 90% of my picking chores.

The remaining 10% of the time I rake with either a city rake or 3 peak bogota.

Whatever you do, whether its an 11 pc or 22 pc - get a good quality kit. The KLOMs are decent and so are the GOSSO's.

Once you get some experience under your belt - splurge on an expensive Peterson, HPC or ProLok kit and they'll pretty much last a lifetime.

Let's face it - you will break picks as you learn to get a "feel" for the pins. There's just no getting around it.
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sun May 10, 2009 3:26 pm

no never.. i have never broken a pick so far... just have to be a bit careful and light handed (goes of breaking a pick in the lock)
and welcome to the club newbie, only very "special" individuals in here
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

clodester

Familiar Face

Post Tue May 12, 2009 5:04 am

The Klom do seem like a fantastic start off point. I myself went for southord picks, but that is because uklockpickers.co.uk wasn't around when I started.

I would recommend to try out the basic masterlocks though. The newbie 1-5 step programme is pretty good and once you get them licked, they are great for confidence boosters.....that is masterlock numbers 1,2,3,4 & 5 all laminated locks. Plus the cool thing about laminated locks is when your finishe with them, they are kinda easy to dissmantle and then you get to play with your first cores. GOOD TIMES!

Good luck!
<<

Mike51691

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue May 12, 2009 5:30 am

Read the book easy picking, there is a ton of useful info in that book.

Return to Uber-Noob