FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hook tip , rounded / pointed or flat ?

<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:58 pm

Hook tip , rounded / pointed or flat ?

I have been wondering if hook "ends" are just a matter of personal
preference or if there is any particular lock which is more suited to
a pointed tip or a rounded tip or flat tip ?
any comments or insight will be very greatfully accepted guys !
Open Sez Me !
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: Hook tip , rounded / pointed or flat ?

I have wondered about this too. I use hooks with flat tips, just cause that's the way the picks I have bought came.
<<

nozza36

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:27 pm

You surprise me Ratty' given the standard of your craftsmanship
i assumed you were a modest master !
Open Sez Me !
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:56 pm

Flat tip is easier keep in contact with pins as you lift, it's easier to tell if you slip off, and it gets under deep cut pins very well. Pointed tip(Gem point) gives a tiny bit more vertical reach than a flat tip, but still allows for rooting under pins pretty well. Rounded tip has to be laid on it's side and rotated to get under low cut pins alot of times and I feel it's harder to get used to the feel. "Am I feeling the tip lifting binding pins, or the shaft? Did I just set a pin, or did it slide off the binding pin." Things like that. It took me a good while to ditch the pointed and flat tip as my favourites. The main reason is because anything with a point on it may give the feedback you prefer, but it shreds pins and keyways. A well sanded round tip hook has a larger learning curve, but won't destroy a practice lock as fast. Everyone has their preference.

Cup tipped hook however is a different story. It hold pins great. No mistaking that, but even worse than a round tip for getting under low pins and you have to have a keyway with alot more space to maneuver. I finally ditched it because I couldn't pick difficult biting Schlage C keways with it. It's a tall hook that doesn't reach as high as any of the others because of the dip in it. Sacrifice maneuverability AND reach for a better grip on pins? Not the greatest all around hook. There are still lots more ways to increase the effectiveness of your hook, but it depends on the picking style you use. I've made a couple hundred hooks, and the rounded type of tips prove the most universal for me. Next week who knows...

-ToolyMcgee
<<

ratyoke

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:14 pm

nozza36 wrote:You surprise me Ratty' given the standard of your craftsmanship
i assumed you were a modest master !

I am much better at making picks than I am at using them.
<<

bozotheclown5224

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:38 am

I have come to love hooks with small notches in the tip. They give excellent feedback. I'm not talking about "cupped". I make my picks with a tiny notch... just one light stroke of the file :]

small hook
small and large hooks

~Aaron
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:18 am

When it comes to hook picks, i can't help myself, got to have em all.
Funny thing is, i only ever use the Peterson hook, and the LPT.com E-Series hook.
Although i have a number of others that i use very rarely, i just seem to LIKE those particular hooks the most. So for me it's just a matter of whats comfortable.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
<<

clodester

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:52 am

My standard pick of use is a short hook, originally a flat tipped, however after seeing a notched/ cupped hook on EZ i took a hacksaw to short hook, and now it has a kind of 'V' or notch thing on the tip, which for me is great. It is my fav pick.

I have a set of brilliant petersons too, which are great to use and the type of metal they use for the blades are great and sterdy, but i dont use the peterson gem to use effect. I think that is more my lack of skill than any fault of the design.

My short hook however needs to be placed as it is originally a southern specialties one and the blade is a little bent (in a gentle curving arch lol) due to over use. But yeah, in short, for me a short hook with a notched tip.

Return to Uber-Noob