FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

what feedback do you get from a auto disc tumbler (cam lock)

<<

MANDELBROT27

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:03 pm

what feedback do you get from a auto disc tumbler (cam lock)

Can anyone tell me what feedback you get from a disc tumbler lock ie so you know when the discs are set. because all im doing is raking and hoping for the best.i need some technique.
IT'S NOT GUNS THAT KILL,IT'S PEOPLE.
<<

Solid

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: what feedback do you get from a auto disc tumbler (cam lock)

Usually thats the best technique mate. Most disc tumbler locks react best to raking and rocking motions. You can also try an overlifter key first in the lock then spp the remaining disc's. Keep at it. You'll get there.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:06 pm

Solid wrote:Usually thats the best technique mate. Most disc tumbler locks react best to raking and rocking motions. You can also try an overlifter key first in the lock then spp the remaining disc's. Keep at it. You'll get there.

i thought you cannot overlift wafers or "discs" because the key withdraws the wafers into the plug,
as opposed to pin tumblers, which are pushed out by the key,
can you fill me in?
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

barbarian

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:51 pm

awol70 wrote:i thought you cannot overlift wafers or "discs" because the key withdraws the wafers into the plug,
can you fill me in?

You can over lift them. The wafer is the same length as the diameter of the plug. When it's at rest the wafers stick out to different lengths to prevent the plug from turning. The key retracts them or "lifts" them into the body of the plug so you can turn it. If you over lift them, they actually go in too far and stick out the other side. So then you can remove the overlifter and work from there.

One way to over lift them is use a key with all cuts at the shallowest depth. Almost an uncut key really. Then maybe a couple of wafers might be right and the rest will be overlifted. If you just use an uncut key they will all be overlifted.
<<

whoopty_do

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:32 pm

What's the make of the vehicle? if it's a GM or Chevy for example, there's a good chance that it's a sidebar disk tumbler. Which to my understanding at least, doesn't give in to conventional picking methods. For that, you'd need specialized auto picks that are dealer specific.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:31 pm

barbarian wrote:
awol70 wrote:i thought you cannot overlift wafers or "discs" because the key withdraws the wafers into the plug,
can you fill me in?

You can over lift them. The wafer is the same length as the diameter of the plug. When it's at rest the wafers stick out to different lengths to prevent the plug from turning. The key retracts them or "lifts" them into the body of the plug so you can turn it. If you over lift them, they actually go in too far and stick out the other side. So then you can remove the overlifter and work from there.

One way to over lift them is use a key with all cuts at the shallowest depth. Almost an uncut key really. Then maybe a couple of wafers might be right and the rest will be overlifted. If you just use an uncut key they will all be overlifted.

ohh,ok,thanks. =)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

Return to Uber-Noob