FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

CNC proprietary key ?

<<

nemop3

Post Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:51 am

CNC proprietary key ?

Recently the lock on one of our properties needed replacing, but the company went bust during the pandemic. Moreover, the manufacturer that made the blanks went bust as well. SO all that remains are the clients, which were bought up and will have to migrate over time.

The trouble is that the key is a proprietary one, so you can see the issue.

Out of pure interest, in such a situation, could the key be scanned in 3D and then a CNC'd copy be made ?

The company was Market Lock & Safe:

<<

Technical Entry

Post Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:18 am

Re: CNC proprietary key ?

Sure, measure the key and make it with manual machines. You could do it with a small lathe. By scanning I presume you mean point cloud creation? Total not necessary for such a simple shape.

cheers,
TE
<<

nemop3

Post Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:26 am

CNC works off digital data points, letting the machine do the work, but I didn't consider myself skilled enough to do it manually.

Thanks for the confirmation.
<<

Technical Entry

Post Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:13 pm

nemop3 wrote:CNC works off digital data points, letting the machine do the work, but I didn't consider myself skilled enough to do it manually.

Thanks for the confirmation.

CNC means computer numerical control - often this means in reality for the operator Gcode commands. Digital data points in relation to 'scanning' is something else. First learn manual machining then start with CNC machining. CNC machining is not easier than manual machining...
<<

Visitor

Post Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:21 pm

There are a few key machines that also machine the blank as well. The more well known one being the easi entry machine. There are others.
If there are enough blanks needed they can also be cast quite easily in brass but it can be costly.

Scanned and cnc machined by a key scanning and machining machine, yes and quite cheaply. Scanned and cnc machined using regular engineering cnc tools yes but extremely costly (more than a key scanning and machining machine if commervially requested).

Made using a regular manual horizontal mill with the correct bits, yes and quite cost effective especially if you're doing them yourself.

Look through the key catalogues, I dare say there's alternatives to that key, maybe some you can modify and most probably some that bypass those wards.

In a commercial setting, as you've already realised, the full suites will need to be changed.

Return to Uber-Noob