FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Picking to the control line

<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:02 pm

Picking to the control line

So, I don't know if you would call it luck or not, but I have a falcon I-core and everytime I try to pick it, I can only pick it to the control line, and at work today I had to pick a corbin I-core, to get into a room that a customer had lost a key to and I could only pick it to the control line, which is ok because it still gets me in, I am just wondering, how the heck do I keep doing it? whenever I want to pick a control line I never can, but when am not even trying too, I always do.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

orbitman

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:30 am

Re: Picking to the control line

Hey there, just remember that the more Keys a lock is pinned to the bestter chance you have to pick it. This also decreases the Security of the lock when pinned to more keys. But be happy ya got it picked.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:09 am

I never thought of that, in this case it is a very real possibility, it seems so much easier to pick to the control, I wish I could do it every time, I just pick to the control, drop the core and twist a screwdriver in there and bam! just like that!
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:54 am

The Corbin is a different type of lock from a Best/Falcon. While the way it works is very similar, it is an LFIC. In this lock you don't need to find the control shearline for each pin stack, because only stacks 2-5 operate the control lug. It is theoretically easier than a 7 pin Best/Falcon to pick to control, but still not so easy where luck alone is responsible for your success. The possible control key cuts can be almost any combination of high, low, or the same height as an operating key so it's chance as well.

I always try for control with a hook, but have better success finding an accidental operating line with a rake. Not the easiest lock, so for a lockout either line is doing the job. It's just your plain good picking and chance. Were you trying for the operating line?

-Tooly
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:29 pm

I just picked a 7 pin BEST SFIC for the first time and it picked to the control line. And try as I might I couldn't get the thing picked open!
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:35 pm

ToolyMcgee wrote:The Corbin is a different type of lock from a Best/Falcon. While the way it works is very similar, it is an LFIC. In this lock you don't need to find the control shearline for each pin stack, because only stacks 2-5 operate the control lug. It is theoretically easier than a 7 pin Best/Falcon to pick to control, but still not so easy where luck alone is responsible for your success. The possible control key cuts can be almost any combination of high, low, or the same height as an operating key so it's chance as well.

I always try for control with a hook, but have better success finding an accidental operating line with a rake. Not the easiest lock, so for a lockout either line is doing the job. It's just your plain good picking and chance. Were you trying for the operating line?

-Tooly

I actually wasn't trying for the control line, I have to say though, the way I pick is with a wierd tension, and I think that has something to do with the way I get the control line, I don't tension a lock like I have seen these guys in there videos, I have a tendency to use a more firm pressure with some bouncing with the tension tool, just a habit I developed. I have also heard some people say that best locks were harder to pick, I so far find them to be as easy as any master lock I have came across to pick, and funny thing is, I have a tendency to pick there control lines more often than just picking them open!
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:01 am

the lockpickkid wrote:I actually wasn't trying for the control line, I have to say though, the way I pick is with a wierd tension, and I think that has something to do with the way I get the control line, I don't tension a lock like I have seen these guys in there videos, I have a tendency to use a more firm pressure with some bouncing with the tension tool, just a habit I developed.
I wouldn't say it's wierd, but variable.  I also use a stronger variable tension.  It works well on older locks, but NIB cylinders drop open mysteriously easy sometimes without any heavier tension at all.  I think the heavier tension can help find control shearlines, but isn't the best choice for actually setting pins as some of the smallest master wafers used can be bent or jammed in the lock when they slide by a shearline under heavy tension.
the lockpickkidd wrote:I have also heard some people say that best locks were harder to pick, I so far find them to be as easy as any master lock I have came across to pick, and funny thing is, I have a tendency to pick there control lines more often than just picking them open!
You haven't picked enough different sfic's then. :mrgreen:   An easy 6 pin keyway from Best, Falcon, Arrow, etc. while it may not be a difficult bitting, is still twice the lock of any masterlock keyway core no matter it's bitting's difficulty solely from a manufactoring standpoint.  Excluding, of course, the sfic and other core options the pro series and some of the other masters have.  You won't find a Best that you can overlift with comb picks, or bypass with any tool through the back of the keyway. There are 24 or so average keyways for Best, and over 40 W premium keyways which are basically all nightmares.  Search out an F, H, or S Best keyway with some good bitings.  If you know a medeco dealer maybe you could get a Keymark SFIC.  An Arrow Choice Plus, or Schlage Everest might be cool sfic's to check into.  Those keyways and lock specs are wicked too.

What's the hardest sfic keyway you have picked so far?

-Tooly
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:25 pm

well, I know you are right about them being better locks, and I haven't been through enough I guess to say they are easier, just the ones I have came across, just open! I think one of the harder ones that I have picked was a best that had the real narrow keyway at the top, I don't know what keyway it was, but at the top of the keyway there was barely enough space at all to fit any out of the case tension wrench and if I remember right it had a sharp right angle curve at the top also, that was the hardest one I picked but I did manage to get it open a few times.

Return to Uber-Noob