FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Hall’s Safe Co 1906 Combination

<<

Canucks

Post Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:49 am

Hall’s Safe Co 1906 Combination

Hi there, if there’s an Uber Uber-noob that would be me. Have been hanging onto this safe for many years. Now it’s time to move and there’s no way for us to move it so thinking of leaving it behind. But is that a stupid idea? It’s beautiful and rustic and I’m sure has told many stories. I have the tag with the he combination but have never been able to open it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:38 am

Re: Hall’s Safe Co 1906 Combination

I would keep it.

Is the door currently open? How many numbers does your tag show?
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt
<<

Canucks

Post Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Thank you so much. Yes, the door is open but the locking mechanism is locked. It is a 4 combination code.
This safe is so incredibly heavy we’re actually thinking they may have to take it out a window from our basement as we fear is will go right through our deck taking it up and out the main floor. But, if it’s worth keeping then we will pay the $800 or so CAD for someone to move it.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:08 pm

If there is the lock, which I believe it is:

There should be a slot at the back of the lock. I don't know if you need to remove something from the back of the door to get to the lock or if it is in plain sight. You need a strip, which fits into this slot, e.g. metal, stiff plastic or even cardboard. Turn the dial 4 or more times in one direction. For this explanation I start with L(eft). Then stick the strip into this slot. With light pressure of the strip continue to turn the dial left. At one point the strip will move further into the slot and the dial does then stop. That is your first number. Then again slight pressure on the strip and turning the dial to the reverse direction, i.e. right. Again the strip will move in and the dial will stop. The location is the second number. Than the same for again left and finally the same for again right. You should then be able to turn the door handle. Before you turn then dial again remove the strip.

If the numbers are about the same as on the label you know now the exact numbers and the sequence and direction of turns to get the safe open. If the numbers are different, then try the above with the other direction starting right. If the numbers are again completely different, then the numbers on the label are wrong.

Before you close the door test the unlocking at least three times. Writing down the working combination and procedure if you think you could forget it.

I would keep that safe, because it is really in great condition and very decorative. People like to put their bar into such cabinets. If you want to use it as an unlocked cabinet, then you can remove the piece with the slot holding the three wheels. The safe does then open with the last number only. Please store the wheel pack inside the safe, so a future owner will find it. It would be a pity if it got lost.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt

Return to Uber-Noob