FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Just ordered my first ever set!

<<

GutterClown

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: Just ordered my first ever set!

I think you'll find that the disclaimer on the Petersons site is exactly that, a Disclaimer.
Just as awol70 says at the end of his video "don't break the law" to cover his ass against any problems with the law, they have to cover theirs.

39 USC 3002 - Sec. 3002a. Nonmailability of locksmithing devices
This is the reason they won't mail to anyone Not a locksmith.
This is an American code, it has no effect outside the US.
It's not that they won't sell to every day users, it's just that they can't do it inside the United States.

Under this code, Lockpicks.com, Lockpicktools.com, Southord.com, etc. NONE of these should be allowed to post directly to an individual without proof of being a locksmith.

Go ahead, Try ordering from them. Don't buy the exact same product from somewhere else, Why pay a middle man to buy and sell?

Like I said, I bought, I recieved, I made no claims to being a locksmith.

Qhost, Here's a google search result for "Wells UK locksmith"
http://www.google.com/search?q=Wells+UK+locksmith
And a Map page:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Wells+UK+locksmith
<<

DPSVDV

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:57 pm

GutterClown wrote:I think you'll find that the disclaimer on the Petersons site is exactly that, a Disclaimer.
Just as awol70 says at the end of his video "don't break the law" to cover his ass against any problems with the law, they have to cover theirs.

It's not that they won't sell to every day users, it's just that they can't do it inside the United States.

Under this code, Lockpicks.com, Lockpicktools.com, Southord.com, etc. NONE of these should be allowed to post directly to an individual without proof of being a locksmith.

Go ahead, Try ordering from them. Don't buy the exact same product from somewhere else, Why pay a middle man to buy and sell?

And a Map page:

So true. And also for us candain's we are so called needed to have a pick liscence to be able to have picks.
<<

Qhost

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:12 am

GutterClown wrote:Qhost, Here's a google search result for "Wells UK locksmith"
And a Map page:

On the maps page, the "A" pin is a screwfix shop... I think. Would that count as a locksmith? I have never been in there, but ill make a note to visit tomorrow.

Thanks for the links :)

A Overjoyed,
Qhost
So what im 15, does that automatically mean im a immature fool?

A Signitured,
Qhost
<<

barbarian

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:37 pm

Other things that come to mind that can be used to make tension wrenches are the oil dipstick from a car, a recoil starter spring, plumbing snake or electrical fish tape and brick strap. The dipsticks are flat and springy, probably the best choice. Cars with Automatic transmissions should have two dipsticks, one for the engine and one for the transmission.

The brick straps are dark colored pieces of steel band used to hold fork lift size bundles of bricks or lumber together. They are wider than the dipsticks, so there is more grinding or filing to be done. They are often a throw away item at construction sites. If you ask for a hunk, they would probably give it to you.

The recoil spring from any small engine that has a pull starter is good too. Anything like a lawn mower, leaf blower, chainsaw etc. Inside the pull starter is a flat spring that is coiled up and retracts the rope back into the engine when you pull on it. If there is a small engine repair place nearby, they would have lots of used ones for you. They are a common item to break on small engines. Careful if you take it apart yourself, the spring can unwind quite abruptly and slice fingers or eyes. Best to use gloves unless you are familiar with taking them apart.

The plumbing snake and electrical fish tape might be found laying around in the garage if you know a handy man. The plumbing snake is flat metal band that is used to clear clogged drains, and the fish tape is used by electricians to pull wires through conduits or walls inside a building.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:03 pm

GutterClown wrote:I think you'll find that the disclaimer on the Petersons site is exactly that, a Disclaimer.

And a Map page:

man, what a huge disappointment =( as you said, all that stuff is just a disclaimer,
so i went ahead and placed an order,only to find that they dont have paypal as an option,and i own no credit cards....bummer...perhaps a pre-loaded CC will do the trick?
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

GutterClown

Post Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:16 pm

Sure man, as long as it's VISA or Mastercard, it will work as a credit card anywhere on the internet.
<<

DPSVDV

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:04 pm

awol70 wrote:

And a Map page:

man, what a huge disappointment =( as you said, all that stuff is just a disclaimer,
so i went ahead and placed an order,only to find that they dont have paypal as an option,and i own no credit cards....bummer...perhaps a pre-loaded CC will do the trick?

So your saying a disclaimer is just like a way of saying they are responsible for your actions? And how do you tell that its a diclaimer?
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:26 pm

You can't (or shouldn't) mail picks thru the US Mail. It's the law.

But you can send them by UPS, FedEX, etc.

As for purchasing picks from them, I've done it many times - and I am not a locksmith, reposessor, etc.

As for the text in question being a disclaimer, that's correct. They have met their legal requirements by posting this disclaimer. If you chose to go ahead and purchase said items, you do so at your own peril, assuming all legal obligations thereof.

A disclaimer is a way for them to say they ARE NOT responsible for your actions. You break the law and you'll have to eat the duckbutter - not them.
<<

GutterClown

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:15 am

DPSVDV wrote:So your saying a disclaimer is just like a way of saying they are responsible for your actions?

Yes, that is what a disclaimer is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclaimer
DPSVDV wrote:And how do you tell that its a diclaimer?

What sort of question is that?

How do you tell a duck is a duck? It looks like a duck, it smells like a duck, it quacks like a duck. Fuck me, It's a duck.
<<

Qhost

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:01 am

Stop the bad vibes. Heres some good news, the set got to me!!!

In only 3 working days, now thats sexy!

lockpicks 001.jpg

lockpicks 002.jpg

lockpicks 003.jpg

lockpicks 004.jpg

lockpicks 005.jpg

lockpicks 006.jpg

I can close my eyes and feel the great feedback, the handles are great and the picks are nice and thin! Now all I need are some locks. I may be going down to a carboot sale in sunday, I heard theres a guy who sells locks for like 10p each!

A Jesus-Christ-So-God-Damn-Happy,
Qhost
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
So what im 15, does that automatically mean im a immature fool?

A Signitured,
Qhost
<<

frantic57744

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:33 pm

well, you have to start somewhere and the pick set you now own is as good a place as any (woohoo) ...Picking in my opinion is a combination of different things touch n feel is real important... For a long time i was a knuckle shuffle merchant rake rake rake,,, then i knew that was gonna do the biz on a lot of locks, but to progress further spp,in had to be conquered so i watched many many videos and burnt alot of midnight oil,,
If i get a lock that gives me grief initially i put it down relect on it for a while, then go back to it, if they start to get frustrating leave em alone and have a play when your fresh and objective,,, :P
http://www.youtube.com/user/frantic57744

A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you actually look forward to the trip.
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:50 pm

gratz on the picks, i'm maybe thinking of buying this set my self
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

clodester

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:09 am

I'm not sure what all that disclaimer stuff means etc, but I have a set of peterson picks, bought from an american site, and i had them posted over with no problems. I didn't have to prove i was a locksmith (which im not) or any other type of security professional (which im also not).

Lockpickshop.com was the supplier, and fantastic value too. It is often cheaper to by and import from USA to buy from any of the UK sites.

I also went to the MLA expo in the UK last year, and the guy who designs a lot of petersons tools was there, giving talks and demos, and they were selling sets right off the stand (admittingly you did have to be a locksmith/prof to get into the expo).

But anyway, thats not the point, im happy you recieved your first set in decent time, that first wait is always the hardest i think. And good luck!
Previous

Return to Uber-Noob