FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Just ordered my first ever set!

<<

Qhost

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:16 pm

Just ordered my first ever set!

KLOM 22 PICK SET

Code:
22 piece Klom lock picks - warded - auto - dimple - pin tumbler - waffer - there all in this leather zip up case

I just ordered it a few mins ago, and I hope it gets here within a few days! ( If it all goes well, it will be here on monday, but Im guessing Tuesday or Wednesday ! )

Well im excited, I have some locks and im asking my mates if I can borrow theirs!

One thing im conerned about, does this 22 peice set include tension wrench's? I cant enlarge the image because.. well... I dont know, it wont let me, but im sure their in there, can anyone confirm this?
Also, how good is the feedback from this set? From videos and such It seems to be decent, but I saw a post here saying it was terrible!

Mabey I can start making lockpick videos....

I also want to buy this and this and this and this and I really want this!

An excited and worried,
Qhost
So what im 15, does that automatically mean im a immature fool?

A Signitured,
Qhost
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: Just ordered my first ever set!

congrats, hope they get to you fast i know youre going to have fun. about the picks being terrible: it all comes down to personal preference, some may think they suck and others may think they fucking rocks! i dont know because i haven't tried them, but i'm sure you will be happy with them. i don't know if tension wrenches comes with the package, but you can make some out of windshield wiper inserts, its the metal that holds the rubber thing in place, ask around and im sure someone will have some old ones, i think that awol70 made an instructional vid on youtube showing you how to make some t. wrenches
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:57 pm

First of all, welcome aboard Qhost. You have a lot of enthusiasm and I hope you enjoy the site.

I have played around with a few KLOM picks and they are very good. For someone just getting his feet wet, you couldn't have found a more outstanding set.

The rubber handles feel very good in the hand and don't tire you out as much. However, you need to be very careful that you don't snap some of the really thin picks. If you are heavy-handed, keep that in mind whenever you start feeling frustrated with a troublesome lock. Because sure as hell, that's when you'll snap a pick and get REALLY pissed off.

Good luck.
;)
<<

barbarian

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:20 pm

It looks like your set does not have wrenches. As morrowind107 mentioned they are easy to make yourself. They do sell them on the site you linked to, http://www.uklockpickers.co.uk/oscommer ... nd8mde6ia4 I would just look at the picture and try to make some yourself. The wrench video by awol is very nice and all his videos are worth watching.

I looked at your wish list. The only thing I would caution against is getting cutaways for practice. It's nice to have one maybe, to help you visualize what is happening, but if you become too dependant on visual clues, you won't be able to pick very well. Some people really don't recommend cutaways at all for practice.

If you want to get good, try to understand what is happening inside the lock, just by the feel of the wrench and pick.

You might find a cheaper source for practice locks, car boot sales, building supply places, discount stores, even the local lockie might have some old ones he will sell cheap.
<<

GutterClown

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:12 pm

Qhost, The set it decent. There are better, there are worse. I don't use my set much apart from a backup set in my personal car, along with many other sets. Sometimes set of picks just isn't enough variety.

If you get the set and like them, look to investing in a set of Petersons tools. You can choose your own custom pickset from their website, and they have a great U-Bend-It tention tool system.

The rubber handles and steel strength are a level of quality I've never seen before. They're stronger than my HPC hooks. Dare say I could open a can of beans with one.

http://www.peterson-international.com/i ... lpicks.htm

The Government Steel is the only type worth getting. Good stuff.

Also, on the subject of getting locks to practice with, Drop into your local locksmith shop and ask you could buy the locks they replace during everyday business. We chuck out so many perfectly good locks purely because it's not worth our time.
A few dollars can score you some awesome unique things.
<<

DPSVDV

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:33 am

GutterClown wrote:Qhost, The set it decent. There are better, there are worse. I don't use my set much apart from a backup set in my personal car, along with many other sets. Sometimes set of picks just isn't enough variety.

If you get the set and like them, look to investing in a set of Petersons tools. You can choose your own custom pickset from their website, and they have a great U-Bend-It tention tool system.

The rubber handles and steel strength are a level of quality I've never seen before. They're stronger than my HPC hooks. Dare say I could open a can of beans with one.

Also, on the subject of getting locks to practice with, Drop into your local locksmith shop and ask you could buy the locks they replace during everyday business. We chuck out so many perfectly good locks purely because it's not worth our time.

Maybe for you you can buy picks and other items from peterson but as for Qhost good luck buying from them due to the fact they only sell to people who are BONA FIDE LOCK MANUFACTURERS OR, DISTRIBUTORS, LOCKSMITHS, REPOSSESORS, OR MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS. Or if you are from canada you need a pick lisence to buy from these guys.
<<

GutterClown

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:52 am

DPSVDV wrote:Maybe for you you can buy picks and other items from peterson but as for Qhost good luck buying from them due to the fact they only sell to people who are BONA FIDE LOCK MANUFACTURERS OR, DISTRIBUTORS, LOCKSMITHS, REPOSSESORS, OR MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS. Or if you are from canada you need a pick lisence to buy from these guys.

Er, you have seen the petersons site, right?
I bought an entire set from them, no identification as being a locksmith at all.
No ID, no "from XX locksmiths", no phone numbers.
I just bought.

Check your self, before you wreak yourself.
<<

Qhost

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:38 am

morrowind107 wrote:congrats, hope they get to you fast i know youre going to have fun. about the picks being terr... etc

Thanks, today I asked my dad if he had an old windscreen whiper, and he does, so ill try to make my own. I hope there wont be any rust on it :)

HallisChalmers wrote:First of all, welcome aboard Qhost. You have a lot of enthusiasm and I hope you enjoy the site.

I have played around with a few KLOM picks and they are very good. For someone just getting his feet wet, you couldn't have found a more outstanding set.

The rubber handles feel very good in the hand and don't tire you out as much. However, you need to be very careful that you don't snap some of the really thin picks. If you are heavy-handed, keep that in mind whenever you start feeling frustrated with a troublesome lock. Because sure as hell, that's when you'll snap a pick and get REALLY pissed off.

Good luck.
;)

Thanks Hal, I was worried if I should have got the cheaper 20 piece GOSO set, but it looks like this is the better choice! Im glad the rubber handles are so good, do they bend at all? Im pretty sure in one of Awol's videos when he picked an American 1105 (the same video linked to on the KLOM Navigator set on uklockpickers) he bended them pretty well.

I like thin picks, so its good news, Im pretty light handed and can control my anger when I have to, I just want to here that *Kikk* sound when you pick a lock :)

barbarian wrote:It looks like your set does not have wrenches. As morrowind107 mentioned they are easy to make yourself. They do sell them on the site you linked to, http://www.uklockpickers.co.uk/oscommer ... nd8mde6ia4 I would just look at the picture and try to make some yourself. The wrench video by awol is very nice and all his videos are worth watching.

I looked at your wish list. The only thing I would caution against is getting cutaways for practice. It's nice to have one maybe, to help you visualize what is happening, but if you become too dependant on visual clues, you won't be able to pick very well. Some people really don't recommend cutaways at all for practice.

If you want to get good, try to understand what is happening inside the lock, just by the feel of the wrench and pick.

You might find a cheaper source for practice locks, car boot sales, building supply places, discount stores, even the local lockie might have some old ones he will sell cheap.

As I spent my last money on the lock pick set, it seems im bent at the moment to make my own out of a old windscreen wiper metal. Next month Ill order them :) Or as there only 5 pounds, get a friend to pay for me!

Thanks for the cutaway help, I'm just looking to get as many basic cheap locks to start of with. But I will get that 40 pounds practice lock, all those pin combinations, would be great so I can get used to the more complicated secruity pins before picking them with no sight.

And ill look in town for cheap locks, prehaps ill check out the 1 pounds shop if they have sets. (They sell things in there for 50p, which just confuse's me)

GutterClown wrote:Qhost, The set it decent. There are better, there are worse. I don't use my set much apart from a backup set in my personal car, along with many other sets. Sometimes set of picks just isn't enough variety.

Thanks! I use peterson's as a long term goal for my "perfect" set, when I get my £30 pounds EMA a week from staying on school I know what it will be spend on... yum... (And hopefully the world will sort its-self out by then, so its 2 dollers to the pound, like it used to be).
Im not sure I have a local locksmith :) I live in Wells, it has a famous street, cathredral and schools, but its lacking in the shops department.

Thanks everyone for your replys :) Ill tell you all/take pics when they get here!

A Thankful,
Qhost

A Signitured,
Qhost
<<

barbarian

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:57 am

Qhost wrote:Thanks, today I asked my dad if he had an old windscreen whiper, and he does, so ill try to make my own. I hope there wont be any rust on it :)

Qhost

They are made from Stainless steel, should have no troubles with rust.

I looked for a close up picture on the net, and I couldn't find one. Here is the best I could find http://www.expertvillage.com/video/9224 ... semble.htm The guy calls them "guide springs" those are the pieces you want. Not all wipers have them. Some are going with all plastic now.

They bend easily with pliers. No need to heat them.
<<

Qhost

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:52 am

Thanks barb, video helped!

The wiper my dad gave me was hard plastic, so I asked a friend to see if he can get me a metal one!

Do you know if the ones on uklockpickers are made from wipers or made some other way?

A delighted,
Qhost

A Signitured,
Qhost
<<

barbarian

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:44 pm

I suspect any company making tools for sale would order a bunch of the stainless stock themselves. Pretty unreliable to find enough discarded wipers.

If you look in the Homebrew section, there are a couple of threads on wiper inserts. There are tips there too about where to find some used ones. Is there a garage that works on cars near you ? How about an auto scrap yard.

If you found two or three wipers, that would be lots to start with.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:38 pm

GutterClown wrote:
DPSVDV wrote:Maybe for you you can buy picks and other items from peterson but as for Qhost good luck buying from them due to the fact they only sell to people who are BONA FIDE LOCK MANUFACTURERS OR, DISTRIBUTORS, LOCKSMITHS, REPOSSESORS, OR MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS. Or if you are from canada you need a pick lisence to buy from these guys.

I bought an entire set from them, no identification as being a locksmith at all.
I just bought.

copy & paste directly from peterson manufacturing's site...

Warning: In accordance with 39 USC Section 3002a, this site is solely for the use of Security Professionals. Only the following are permitted to purchase items from this site: BONA FIDE LOCK MANUFACTURERS OR, DISTRIBUTORS, LOCKSMITHS, REPOSSESORS, OR MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS.

By ordering from this site, purchasers swear, attest and represent under penalty of perjury, that they are active authorized professionals in one or more of the above approved professions, and further attest and represent that they are authorized to receive products from this site through the US Mail.

We actively scrutinize purchases made from this site to ensure strict legal compliance with these requirements, and reserve the right to refuse shipment of any order that we do not believe to be lawful or appropriate.

Canadian Locksmiths please note:
Anyone purchasing lock picks or car opening tools in Alberta MUST have a provincial "Pick" License. This license is issued by the Solicitor General's office and entitles the bearer to purchase such tools.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

DPSVDV

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:34 pm

awol70 wrote:
GutterClown wrote:

I just bought.

copy & paste directly from peterson manufacturing's site...

Warning: In accordance with 39 USC Section 3002a, this site is solely for the use of Security Professionals. Only the following are permitted to purchase items from this site: BONA FIDE LOCK MANUFACTURERS OR, DISTRIBUTORS, LOCKSMITHS, REPOSSESORS, OR MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS.

By ordering from this site, purchasers swear, attest and represent under penalty of perjury, that they are active authorized professionals in one or more of the above approved professions, and further attest and represent that they are authorized to receive products from this site through the US Mail.

We actively scrutinize purchases made from this site to ensure strict legal compliance with these requirements, and reserve the right to refuse shipment of any order that we do not believe to be lawful or appropriate.

Canadian Locksmiths please note:
Anyone purchasing lock picks or car opening tools in Alberta MUST have a provincial "Pick" License. This license is issued by the Solicitor General's office and entitles the bearer to purchase such tools.

Yep your right Wizwazzle the info you got is from peterson's home page.
<<

DPSVDV

Familiar Face

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:37 pm

GutterClown wrote:

I just bought.

How about you check this out for your self.
http://www.peterson-international.com/index.htm
<<

barbarian

Post Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Don't order them from Peterson. There are places that sell their stuff like this one http://www.lockpickshop.com/G-4SET.html they don't ask any questions. I have ordered from them a few times.

Those picks are expensive tho...
Next

Return to Uber-Noob