FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

I can't seem to SPP a lock with not security pins.

<<

Rocka89

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:49 am

I can't seem to SPP a lock with not security pins.

I just can't single pin pick a lock with no security pins. I only have 2 locks right now because I am broke (school payments, car insurance, my hard drive exploding and gas left me broke until next pay day :x ) one is a Master #17 which I am forced to rake open because it has no security pins and every time I go to SPP it I end up frustrated 15 minutes later with no clue as to if I am making any progress at all. I also have a Master #140 and I can SPP that thing all day. I picked it so many times that I know the pin configuration and I can usually get it in under 10 seconds unless I get caught on a really tough spool.

I dont know what my problem is, any suggestions?
<<

GutterClown

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:47 am

Re: I can't seem to SPP a lock with not security pins.

You've hit the one thing that seems to turn away so many would-be pickers.

Every single lock is different. No two locks will have the same binding order, or feel. Each one is unique and needs to be learnt, understood, and coerced into opening.

Just think for one second about this logically.
if SPPing was a one-hit-wonder, no other methods of picking locks would exist. I use SPP, raking, bumpkeys, pick guns, and lock bypass every day.
Why? Because no one method can be relied on to work on EVERY lock.

Don't assume that because you can't SPP one of your two locks, that you're bad. You may have a moderate level of experience, just a shot lock.
Try some graphite power. One puff, nothing more. Work the pins with the pick or a key and see how you go from there.

You've got two locks. You don't have enough experience on a number of locks to say you're bad at it.
<<

ToolyMcgee

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:07 am

Try not lifting every one of the pins. I have a no15 where 2 of the pins are so close to the shearline already that any contact and they feel like they are binding drivers, but really are overlifted keypins. If your method is start at the back and work forward, then try 5,3,1, or try starting from the front, or the middle. Just try different orders until you find one that is true. Masterlock cylinders can be so sloppy several of the taller bitings will set themselves without much help. Good old domed pins. :roll: Oh, and lighter tension will help you find the shearline better. Heavier tesion on some masters makes a clean snap that new pickers like, but on many locks it will be replaced by the dull thud of an overset. Since you have been working the 140 and looking for the spools false set, my guess is you are probably over tensioning the No17 because of that, and frustration.
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:40 am

just an example of no two locks are alike: I have had numerous master locks, I can pick all of them. I have had masters, keyed alike, (a set of two) and one of them was easy to spp and the other wasn't, they both have the same key, but somewhere in the milling of one of them, the tolerances are a little different and it makes it a totally different lock to pick. Don't get frustrated what ever you do, just practice. Try not to wear yourself out on one lock, try to pick it and if you don't get it, set it aside and come back to it later, also, go pick up a couple of brinks padlocks, work on them and the masters, mix them up, then in no time at all you will be asking for a lock that gives you more of a challenge.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:02 pm

slow down..take a deep breath...the longest journey begins with a single step,
and a lock is picked one pin at a time....
good luck.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

Steve

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:11 pm

im not the most experienced picker but if u get stuck give it a break you dont want to get frustrated or youll never attempted it again or atleast for awhile, go somewhere nice and quiet get comfortable and relax,and really feel for the pins while listening a simple quiet place with no distractions can really help you along way atleast it does for me :)
<<

Rocka89

Post Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I did finally SPP it once so far. So things are looking up for me in that respect. I can also rake it really fast. :D I think I am going to dig through my gradge and see if I can find a couple new locks.
<<

HiNtZ

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:35 pm

Another reason SPP doesn't seem to work on locks without security pins is because they are cheaply made and the tolerances arn't as close as a more expensive lock.

Where you would normally have to contend with a few spool pins or maybe a few serated with a good quality lock... with a cheap one you have other factors like the core doesn't sit in the lock body snuggly... cheap locks often have a lot of play in the core which hinders SPP techniques..... but raking, bumping, etc will crack them open easier.

I was given a padlock the other day as they know I am a collector, I accepted it, but banished it to the 'non display' drawer because I looked at it and there was no protection from the core to the body to stop shimming..... you could literally have cut a coke can up, pushed it into the slot whilst lifting each pin and it would have been open in 10 seconds. I didn't even bother trying because I've had them before on many occasions.

If you are relatively new to picking, its not a good idea to start with any old lock...... but since you did, and you managed to SPP it eventually has just advanced you further than if you started with a master No4 or an abus of sorts.

Time to move up a notch ;) Get something with spools or mushrooms.... then when you feel brave take on some serrated pins like in a GEGE repinnable or something ;)
<<

Solid

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:14 pm

I think the most important thing when spp'ing any lock is the tension. Thats the key here with no security pins. Enough said.

Return to Uber-Noob