FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Beware picking mul-t-locks, they can JAM!!

<<

kizza8484

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:11 am

Beware picking mul-t-locks, they can JAM!!

Just something i want to bring to the attention of anyone tangling with a mul-t interactive is that occasionally after you pick it, when you rotate the plug back to the locked position, somehow one if the upper interior pins can jam itself between a lower inerior pin and the side of the plug hole and the plug siezes in place. Nothing seems to be able to dislodge it from inside the keyway, but fortunately mine is a mortice model so i can just slide the cap of and dump the guts out the top of the chambers.

But if you pick a padlock version and this happens when you close the shackle, you could well be SCREWED! I strongly suggest treating mul-t-lock padlocks like americans and rotate the plug to the closed position with a tenstion wrench before closing the shackle. THat way if it jams you can just dissamble it and you get to keep your lock. Unless its key retaining in which case after you pick it you might have to dissemble it and put the key in and put it back together again or something.

I dunno, might just be my lock that does it but seeing as these things aint cheap and this could potentially render someones beautiful mul-t uselss, I just wanted to make it known.
<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Beware picking mul-t-locks, they can JAM!!

on american 1105's that does not happen i will make a video on it and why it does not happen and what locks it will happen on. but it does spin around and you can turn it back easly.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:05 pm

aarpazthelockpicker wrote:on american 1105's that does not happen i will make a video on it and why it does not happen and what locks it will happen on. but it does spin around and you can turn it back easly.

It may not happen on 1105's, but it sure as hell does happen on 5200's. I have one sitting on my desk that I spun around, dropped the pins, and is now serving as a paperweight.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:38 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:
aarpazthelockpicker wrote:on american 1105's that does not happen i will make a video on it and why it does not happen and what locks it will happen on. but it does spin around and you can turn it back easly.

It may not happen on 1105's, but it sure as hell does happen on 5200's. I have one sitting on my desk that I spun around, dropped the pins, and is now serving as a paperweight.

most of the re-keyable masters are highly susceptible to plug spin as well
930's and safety lockouts being the worst....
whether or not certain models/types/series are prone to this phenomenon is secondary...
returning the plug to the locked position will prevent it,and i have learned the hard way,(as some people must)...its just a good habit to get into..=)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:05 pm

i argee with you and that is a good idea and it should be done to prevent it.

yes i have screwd my 911 up and caught my selfe and was able to push the pins back up

also aowl do you have any tips for picking master lock out's beacuse i just orderd one.
<<

johnopsec

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:40 am

The #911's and #930's will definitely do this. I learned with my first #911. It indeed had the "built in plug spinner-phuquer-upper" feature. I picked it ONCE and killed it with that feature. :cry:
JohnOPSEC
<<

the lockpickkid

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:08 pm

I had a big master, same problem, it got locked up tight and I cut it open.
I have been in the souls of many women, but I always end up on the soles of there shoes.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:44 pm

awol do you have any tips for picking master lock out's because i just ordered one.

hmm, tips? light tension,i guess...be gentle as they are very cheaply constructed and wear out quickly.
top O' the keyway tension is an option ,because the top of the keyway is straight,but not always the answer...some seem to prefer being opened with bottom tension...depends on the variables,ie: bitting,tolerances.
given your skillset i don't think you should have any problems at all.

<<

aarpazthelockpicker

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:06 pm

thank you awol
<<

.45cal

Global Moderator

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:20 pm

I would like to see someone explain exactly what happens to the Americans when they jam up. possibly cut one open and show us.
<<

safety0ff

Familiar Face

Post Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:51 pm

How do they it jam? (the master's mentioned above)

Do the pins just drop into the keyway?

That happens to me all the time with my 5200, what I do to fix it is take a flat pick and use it to push all the pins down AND tension the plug, then when I push down on the shackle the plug is freed and I can return it to it's proper position. If that doesn't work try again bible side down (key pins getting stuck in re-keying holes?) Hope that helps HallisChalmers.

Can anybody explain the situation with the 911's and 930's? I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

My apologies to the OP for thread jacking, but yea, mul t locks present many oportunities to get jamed.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:40 am

That happens to me all the time with my 5200, what I do to fix it is take a flat pick and use it to push all the pins down AND tension the plug, then when I push down on the shackle the plug is freed and I can return it to it's proper position. If that doesn't work try again bible side down (key pins getting stuck in re-keying holes?) Hope that helps HallisChalmers.

;) Hmmmm....thanks, I'll give it a try.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:05 pm

safety0ff wrote:How do they it jam? (the master's mentioned above)

Do the pins just drop into the keyway?

Can anybody explain the situation with the 911's and 930's? I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

My apologies to the OP for thread jacking, but yea, mul t locks present many oportunities to get jamed.

what happens is: similar to the way a plug spinner works, when the shackle is slammed shut,
the speed at which the plug is spun,allows the drivers to skip past the locked position,
continuing around to 180 deg. at which point (in for instance,a master safety lockout)
the pins are tossed out the repinning holes...
even if you manage to push the drivers up out of the keyway,and rotate the plug back to the locked position,the springs and drivers shoot into the keyway...
( i know it sounds like an EZ fix,but until i had it happen to me, so did I)
this has happened to me on camera,on an orange safety lockout,and also on a 911,and a 930,
and a yale dimple lock off cam.)
the only known fix that has worked for me is bypassing,with the american bypass tool made by peterson.
Last edited by awol70 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

<<

safety0ff

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Alright thanks for the explanation. My fix was only for if the drivers drop into the keyway, and not if the key pins fly out the rekey holes.

The only time I've noticed the plug spinning effect is on the brinks shrouded, once you remove the retaining pin and close the shackle with the key in, then it often spins past it's normal stopping point.

Return to Uber-Noob