FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Abus 83/45 core stuck in cylinder

<<

babbupandey

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:51 am

Abus 83/45 core stuck in cylinder

I bought 83/45 and inadvertently stuck lock's core in the cylinder. The core's pin (which you push down to remove it from the cylinder) is stuck in one of the cylinder's holes which hold the springs. Is there any way I can remove it? Or, is this a lost cause?

Here are the images:

https://i.imgur.com/uHhWpB1.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vWNqn3d.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8YYUkvd.jpg

Any help will be tremendously appreciated!
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:16 am

Re: Abus 83/45 core stuck in cylinder

My first approach would be to use a percussive force - put a very slight turning force on the core (or push it gently in the direction you want it to go) & then rap the cylinder against a firm surface such that the pin is travelling downwards. The idea being that inertia will carry the pin out of the bible when the rest of the cylinder comes to a stop. An alternative way to do this would be tapping the cylinder from below with a mallet, whilst holding the cylinder in hand & applying force to the plug. The idea here is the cylinder suddenly moves, whilst the pin doesn't.

You want the force on the plug to be minimal, so that if can be overcome by the inertia of the pin. If you have good fast timing, you could try only applying force a split second after you rap it.

The above should work.

Another approach would be to drill into the top of the bible so you can insert a fine probe to push the pin back into the plug. Repairing the hole should be straightforward - you could tap a thread into it & fit a piece of machine screw. The repair would be invisible with the cylinder installed in the padlock.

A word of caution to all with that padlock - don't ever reassemble and lock the padlock without the actuator in place at the back of the plug! That is a far more challenging mess to find yourself in!

Hope that helps & best of luck.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:07 am

I remember doing the same thing a few years back, but more memorable was the endless hours I spent trying to sort it out before I lost my cool with it and threw it in an empty plastic bin with enough force to crack the bottom of it. F**king hated it by the time I got to that point. Now I can't see one without thinking about it.

I tried everything other than drilling. The spring is a strong one and I found no way to to remove the pin once it was there.

If you get it done, I'd love to see how you did it. I ended up buying a zero bitted core and replacing it. Just one of those lessons well learned.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:46 pm

This recently posted video may help you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUEfnewYdzc
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:55 am

Lol. Yup. This happens a lot to people new to this core. It's a well known pitfall that almost every video gutting this core mentions.

I have personally never done this because I was aware of it.
I have heard people had success whack in the lock on a vise to possibly jog the detent enough that you can pull it out, but have serious doubts that it will work.

I would just drill out the top of the bible with a 1/16 drill bit and push it down from the inside. If you do it right you won't even have to plug the hole after. If you do need to plug the hole u can tap in a brass rod and file it back or just epoxy it.
<<

transposed

Post Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:46 pm

<<

Joe Momma

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Been there done that, cylinder thrown out and replaced! :kik:
<<

Le_Gnome 1

Post Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:05 pm

I just wanted to post a quick fix for this problem, which can be done in one to two minutes. Just drill a tiny hole in the top of the cylinder in the position of the spring detent. Then using the same drill bit slide it into the chamber and press down on the top pin to depress the detent to release it from the chamber. The reason I mention to use a small drill is so you can reuse the cylinder and the spring won't come out of the drilled hole in the top of the chamber.

Return to Uber-Noob