FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

picking a No15 master lock

<<

blocke0311

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:00 am

picking a No15 master lock

Ive been trying to pick this No15 master lock padlock and I cant seem to get it going my way. I was wondering if anyone knew if it has security pins or if there is some different picking method. If there is security pins what kind would they be? I can bump it open but I would like to know how to pick one open.

<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Re: picking a No15 master lock

Yes we can tell you have been pounding a bump key into this lock by the deep indentation at the top of the keyway. :hammering:

I doubt there is any security pins in that lock but may be a few spool pins if any. It is a 5 pin lock so a little harder to pick than a 4 pin #1, #3, or #7 master lock. If you get it to slightly turn and the pins feel solid hard to lift them it may have some spool pins in it. You have to release some tension and feel for the pins that make the cylinder feel like it wants to go backwards when lifting the pin. Do this to all those pins until you get all the spools to lift above the shear line the lock should pop open. I think you are trying to hard. You would have better luck with using top of keyway tension but it has been bumped so much it will be hard to get a tension wrench to stay in the top but give it a try anyway.

Good luck
Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

blocke0311

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:07 am

MrWizard wrote:Yes we can tell you have been pounding a bump key into this lock by the deep indentation at the top of the keyway. :hammering:

I doubt there is any security pins in that lock but may be a few spool pins if any. It is a 5 pin lock so a little harder to pick than a 4 pin #1, #3, or #7 master lock. If you get it to slightly turn and the pins feel solid hard to lift them it may have some spool pins in it. You have to release some tension and feel for the pins that make the cylinder feel like it wants to go backwards when lifting the pin. Do this to all those pins until you get all the spools to lift above the shear line the lock should pop open. I think you are trying to hard. You would have better luck with using top of keyway tension but it has been bumped so much it will be hard to get a tension wrench to stay in the top but give it a try anyway.

Good luck
Richard

HA, yeah I got this lock from a co-worker that uses bump keys first and trys to pick last. the pins do feel very solid and hard to lift and I tried to do as you said and let off tension to get them up to the shear line but my biggest struggle is keeping a tension bar in the keyway when letting off the tension. I tried to customize some tension bars so that they would stay in but now I'm still struggling with the hard to lift pins. I feel a little more confident going back at it now knowing that there isn't any sidebar cylinder or extra security and it is probably just spool pins. Thanks for your input Richard!

Beau
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:03 am

The pins may have become deformed from so much bumping. If that is the case, they may not slide well in the pin channels.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

blocke0311

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:09 am

So I finally got it picked but the only way I could do it was to go to the last pin and rake it forward. I cant actually pick the pins individually, it has to be one fluid motion when I rake it for it to pop open. It feels like I am over setting the 3rd or 4th pin when I pick them individually because multiple times I have released the tension and heard 4 distinct pins drop but I just cant get it to rotate while I am picking them up...
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:33 pm

The fact you can rake it open I would say no security pins in it at all. Yes hard to keep tension wrench in the top when it looks that bad. I suggest you put it in a drawer and move on to something else. Top of keyway tension is always best to learn and that one isn't gonna happen your just going to frustrate yourself.

Tons of padlocks on ebay cheap if you looking for master locks. You should get some new ones at home depot to get the feel of a none damaged new lock to single pick pins.

Good luck.

Richard
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:53 pm

And don't forget, with those Masters, the plug can be turned in either direction to open it.
Give it a try from the other way - ya might have better luck. But Gordon's probably right;
bumping can really do a number on 'em. Especially if that was your learn-to-bump lock.

MrWizard has some sound advice... move on. Have fun instead of frustration. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

blocke0311

Post Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 am

thanks guys, at first I was frustrated because my co-worker could get it open and I couldn't :kickyoass:
I take pride in my ability to pick locks that some of these guys I work with cant, but the guy I got the lock from is not known for his picking skills and when I knew he could get it, and I couldn't, it frustrated me. But I did pick it, just not the way I wanted to. I am fairly new to locksmithing so when I come across something I haven't done I try to learn as much as I can and this was a good experience for me because I wont always have to pick on new locks and this gives me some perspective as to what ELSE might be stopping me from getting through a lock. Thank ya'll again for your time and input.

Beau

Return to Uber-Noob