FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Schlage C Pick Size

<<

XD40SW

Post Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Schlage C Pick Size

Hello,

I'm pretty new to picking and just had a quick question. I've already picked open the half dozen master locks and Kwiksets that I own, and I'm moving on to something more advanced.

I have ordered and any day now I should have a Sparrows cutaway practice lock and a reload kit for it as well. I also have three Schlage C keyway KIK cylinders that I've been working on.

I just wanted some input from some of you more experienced folks. What size pick do you all use the most for a SC Keyway? Right now I've got a complete Sparrow's set in .025", and I find them just a little tight...

Another quick question, I've noticed a night and day difference between the Kwikset and Schlage cylinders. I could rake the Kwiksets open no problem. The genuine Schlages are a bit more trouble for me. I have them pinned down to three pins at the moment so I can SPP 'em. It certainly seems that a higher quality core makes them a lot more difficult to pick?
<<

greengrowlocks

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:25 am

Re: Schlage C Pick Size

I normally use the Southord Slimline picks for something like the Schlage. Also picks around .018" like the middle sized Peterson hooks should fit that keyway pretty well. When it comes to using the .025" picks I generally only use them when very heavy tension is required in an open keyway.

As for your second question I think that the Schlage locks have better tolerances than the Kwikset locks.

Return to Uber-Noob