FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Klom EPG Question

<<

fordxtc

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:45 am

Klom EPG Question

Not sure if this would be the right place to post this. But I recently bought one of these sets and im very new to the hobby. Could anyone here with a bit of experience post what all the attatchments are for? Like whats there correct names and what sort of locks there best suited too?

Lockylew: Moved to Lock Picking.
<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:20 pm

Re: Klom EPG Question

Basically, the tools that come with the set are for two types of locks - basic pin tumbler type and dimple locks.

I will assume that you are a beginner, starting out with padlocks. You should know the common type of locks that you'll encounter, such as pin tumbler, wafer, disc, and dimple. Most of your common padlocks will be one of these types - with various security features making them hard to pick (i.e. spool, serrated, mushroom, etc.)

Look at the photos and labels and they should be self-explanatory. I can't go into which specific tool will open a certain brand of lock. If I did, I'd be here a very long time. Suffice to say that most pin tumbler padlocks can be opened by two methods - SPP (single pin picking) or raking.

However, with an electric pickgun, you are limiting yourself to strictly performing a raking excercise.

Look and and see if this helps you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:33 pm

wow, Hallis, good answer.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

fordxtc

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:14 am

yes that was a great answer. exactly what I was looking for. thanks for taking the time to put all that together. I can see this forum is going to be a good place for me to learn alot about my new hobby...
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:21 am

awol70 wrote:wow, Hallis, good answer.

Yeah, that's one of my problems...I'm obsessively compulsive...ask me what time it is and I'll tell you how to build a freaking watch....

:shock:
<<

m0ose

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:22 am

HallisChalmers wrote:

Yeah, that's one of my problems...I'm obsessively compulsive...ask me what time it is and I'll tell you how to build a freaking watch....

I do wonder what time it is over yonder... >.>

:P
<<

morrowind107

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:25 pm

nice post number hallis... 666 ^^
All hail the hypnotoad!
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:08 pm

HallisChalmers wrote:

join the OCD club, kiila..=)...i think it goes hand-in-hand with lockpicking..:)
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

fordxtc

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:03 am

ok guys a few more questions. How long does it usually take to charge up the battery? also how do u know when the battery is fully charged? is there something that lights up on the gun itself? Im asking because im getting pretty poor useage times out of the gun... sometimes it only lasts for 10 mins? is this right or is something wrong?
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:04 am

fordxtc wrote:ok guys a few more questions. How long does it usually take to charge up the battery? also how do u know when the battery is fully charged? is there something that lights up on the gun itself? Im asking because im getting pretty poor useage times out of the gun... sometimes it only lasts for 10 mins? is this right or is something wrong?

a) If the batteries are dead nuts fully discharged - it will take a couple of hours to get a full charge on them.

b) If you look on the charging end of the black corded AC adapter - you'll see the male rectangular plug (that plugs into the 220 female socket). Look on the bottom of the housing and there is a small LED that lights up.

c) When the EPG is fully discharged the LED is red, as it progressively charges it turns orange, and then green when fully charged.

d) 10 minutes of usage time? Well it depends - if you are continuously grinding away on a lock for 10 minutes straight - you are liable to warm that little guy up very fast and suck those batteries dry very quickly. Lithium ion batteries are a lot better than Ni-cads that were so prevalent a few years back. They can stand a hard load - if they are fully charged.

If you are getting 10 minutes of use when operating it intermittently you either have not charged it up completely - or the battery pack is toast.

You have to be patient with new batteries - always give them a good charge when you first get them. Minimum for me is 4 to 6 hours.

Afterwards, give them a good work out and fully discharge them. Then follow up with a good charge. Thereafter, you should be able to use them consistently and then a 2 hour charge (or until the LED turns green) is all you need,

FYI - For all you guys in the US that buy one of the KLOMs, you'll need to get a 120VAC to 220 VAC step-up transformer/converter. It will be a converter that plugs into the 120VAC wall socket on one end - and will have the w-i-d-e 220 female receptacle on the other side to accomodate the the euro plug.
<<

johnopsec

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:59 am

Or... if someone wants to read the pack and tell us the voltage and current rating of the OUTPUT of the charger pack, I'm sure we can source the appropriate pack to operate on 110V.
JohnOPSEC
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:33 am

johnopsec wrote:Or... if someone wants to read the pack and tell us the voltage and current rating of the OUTPUT of the charger pack, I'm sure we can source the appropriate pack to operate on 110V.

What? You mean you can't read my mind or grasp the information out of thin air by osmosis? What is your major malfunction?

I buy you clothes, sharpen your pencils, pack your lunch, send you to school...and what do you do? Eat the teacher! :o

The Klom comes w/ an AC adapater requiring 220/240 VAC input and outputs 4.2 VDC @ 1000 mA.
<<

fordxtc

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:41 pm

The led on the charger itself does go red - orange - green. although I left it on charge all night last night and theres no power in it this morning? would this have something to do with me being in Australia? im just using one of those travel adaptors. Do I need to buy some other sort of converter?
<<

HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:00 pm

fordxtc wrote:The led on the charger itself does go red - orange - green. although I left it on charge all night last night and theres no power in it this morning? would this have something to do with me being in Australia? im just using one of those travel adaptors. Do I need to buy some other sort of converter?

The KLOM that I have came with a charger that connects to
C_plug.jpg
this type of Euro plug (above): CEEE 7/16

Australian_dual_switched_power_point.jpg
If I'm not mistaken, Aussies use this type (above)

If so, then you will need an adapter to connect from the charger's "C-type" plug to your Aussie AS 3112 type receptacle.

If you are hooking up a C type to an AS 3112, that may be the problem.

I can't help you more than that, as I am unfamiliar w/ how the wiring scheme has evolved in your country.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

s1deshowmick

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:28 am

fordxtc wrote:The led on the charger itself does go red - orange - green. although I left it on charge all night last night and theres no power in it this morning? would this have something to do with me being in Australia? im just using one of those travel adaptors. Do I need to buy some other sort of converter?

Mate your going to have to buy a new adaptor, they are cheap and nasty and dont last long, or get yourself an inverter, and from experience try to buy the 240v version striaght up if you can cause you might find you going to have to in the long run anyway.

Mick.
If you can't be good, Be good at it.

http://au.youtube.com/S1DESHOWMICK
Next

Return to Uber-Noob