FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Kwikset lockset 2.0

<<

Killick

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Kwikset lockset 2.0

Thanks everyone for answering my questions in my original post about a single key opening two random kwikset locksets with the number "12133" stamped on the torque spring housings (but not the key). This, I assumed to be the key bitting but apparently is not. In my poking around, I stumbled on this website which shows how to decode a key with standard calipers ( http://kstoerz.com/locksport/bitting/ ) which is freaking awesome!

Anyway, I measured the key that opens both locks & found the bitting to be "34232" instead of the housing stamped "12133". So the first thing I did was assume my calipers were wrong or misunderstood the process or results and measured 2 more keys with numbers stamped on them. Both keys ( another kwikset & a gatehouse) produced the exact same number which was stamped on each key. So now I'm a little confused & that usually means I've missed something. So I did some more Google-Fu & found lots of really good stuff but I'm still confused & figured I'd call on you all again.

Based on my the above, I'm thinking this has to do with master keying somehow but I'm not really clear on how that actually works. I'm thinking I should have a look at the pin stacks & see if there are any mini-disks in there or not, which would let me know one way or the other unless there is an easier way to tell.

Neither of these locks are in use, so no worries. Also, one thing I learned working on handgun small parts is that it's best to put the whole mess, and your hands, in a large zip-lock bag for disassembly so springy things don't just go away magically. (Don't ask me how I know this)

Thanks for reading and any sage advice or wisdom.

Killick
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Kwikset lockset 2.0

sometimes locks will have what is called a blind code, its a way to number the key without having the direct bitting on the key (or lock)
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:31 am

Could be a blind code, but could just as easily be confusing correlation and causation - you may have found two identically-keyed locksets with the same torque spring assemblies.

Some manufacturers - Yale, for example - made liberal use of blind codes, though I've personally never known Kwikset to do so. That said, I've never paid attention to any Kwikset codes, as they're so easy to pick, disassemble, and cut keys.
<<

Killick

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:44 pm

I think y'all are right about the Blind Code. I took both locks apart & measured the pins with calipers and compared them stack-to-stack. What I found was any key pin that wasn't identical, was within 0.003 or less. Close enough.

I also learned that these pins are non-magnetic and need to be picked up off the floor individually.

Killick
<<

couillion

Post Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:01 pm

Killick

12133 is the Kwikset assembly number or part number for the spindle locking assembly. You will find that number in the same place on most all Kwikset Brand Tylo (Tulip Style) locking door knobs and maybe some other Kwikset branded locks with the same lock spindle. Most licensed KW1 keyway locks and generics are void of those part numbers. That number has nothing to do with the key.

Return to Uber-Noob