FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

kwikset lockset

<<

Killick

Post Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:08 pm

kwikset lockset

Quick question; I noticed a couple of old KIK locksets have a 5 digit number stamped on the torque spring housing. Would that be the key number or possibly a model number?
<<

selim

Diabolical Pinning Master & Lock Philanthropist

Post Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: kwikset lockset

it could be the bittings
<<

Killick

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:55 pm

Apparently it's the bitting just as you said. The lock came from a neighbor's front door that I replaced but in going through a pile of locksets I bought at a local HFH ReStore, I found one with the same stamped number and tried the neighbor's old key. It opens both locks just fine. After doing some reading up on the subject, it seems "12133" would be consistant with a key bitting.
It just strikes me as odd that two random locks could have the same bitting.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:52 pm

if you think that is bad, go to home depot and check out the Schlage lock's and look for this sticker Image , most Home depot locks are shipped in pallets all keyed alike and endup at stores the same way :???: my local store had over 40 handsets all Keyed alike..
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

selim

Post Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:39 pm

that's why you never buy grade 3 locks, even most people have them on their house
<<

Killick

Post Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:40 pm

Wow, that's just insane! I'll have to look a little closer next time I'm in Home Depot or Lowes. I think it's time to start shopping for a better lock for MY front door.
<<

Neilau

Post Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:45 pm

Killick wrote:Wow, that's just insane! I'll have to look a little closer next time I'm in Home Depot or Lowes. I think it's time to start shopping for a better lock for MY front door.

LOL a common reaction from people just getting into the hobby.

It's frightening just how crappy most locks on houses are. People will spend a lot on a good solid door then put an El Cheapo lock on it.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:10 pm

I have seen Custom houses being built where they "cant find the money" for a good lock set and end up with something cheap from Home Depot. :???:
(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:05 am

Killick wrote:Wow, that's just insane! I'll have to look a little closer next time I'm in Home Depot or Lowes. I think it's time to start shopping for a better lock for MY front door.

Notwithstanding That they're grade 3; you can always re key them.
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

Killick

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:15 pm

Thank you Selim & Magician59, I had to go Google 'grade 3 locks.' I'm so new, I didn't realize there were 'grades' but i probably should have assumed so. As always, the more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know. Lot'sa more questions to follow...

Thanks y'all!

Return to Uber-Noob