FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

SFIC picking question

<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:01 am

SFIC picking question

Is it possible to be setting some pins to the control shearline as well as some to the regular open shearline so that all pins are set but the plug won't turn becaue they are all not at the same shearline.

As I've progressed to 5 and occasionally 6 pins in my BEST locks it feels like that happens to me sometimes but it could very well be inexperience.
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:28 pm

Re: SFIC picking question

Short answer is no. Not possible.

However, what you may be experiencing is picking to the control shearline counterclockwise, where the lock WILL seize and become unpickable. Its just like turning the control key counterclockwise.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

HT4

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:40 pm

xeo wrote:Short answer is no. Not possible.

Can you expand on this? I always assumed the opposite... but I also have very little SFIC experience. Thanks in advance.
Check out my "LockPickingLawyer" YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/videos
<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:41 pm

Tension is being applied clockwise. I didn't think so but I get to a point where all the pins feel set but the plugs not turning. I probably have just over set pins.

The other weird thing is when I release tension after this happens I hear 7clicks as the pins are unbound and I know this core only has 5 pins

Edit : added extra detail
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

twenglish 1

Post Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:32 pm

The stacks contain more than two pins, you may be hearing them release at different times, and about not being able to set some pins to each shearline, I think once you set one to either the operating or control, all the others will bind to that shearline, I am not positive that is how it works though, maybe someone else can confirm?
<<

Jordo-

Post Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:31 am

I have a couple of questions on the best sfic (7pin) myself, wasnt shure if i should start a new topic or not, so i decided to just ask here... Hope theirs no problem with that..

So, first (A) i was wondering what is the distance from the start of chamber 1 to the end of chamber 7.
Second (B) The diameter of pin chambers.
And third, and most important measurement im looking for (C) Spacing between pin chambers

thanks for the help guys!
take care
Jordan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:53 pm

Jordo- wrote:I have a couple of questions on the best sfic (7pin) myself, wasnt shure if i should start a new topic or not, so i decided to just ask here... Hope theirs no problem with that..

So, first (A) i was wondering what is the distance from the start of chamber 1 to the end of chamber 7.
Second (B) The diameter of pin chambers.
And third, and most important measurement im looking for (C) Spacing between pin chambers

thanks for the help guys!
take care
Jordan

If you're trying to make a peterson style sfic tension wrench, I have seen the measurements on the forums before. You could also gut one and measure it ☺

I think I saved the info, I'll take a look when I get home.
<<

Jordo-

Post Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:21 am

Sorry for the late reply, I was away for a few days..

id like to have the numbers to compare to other locks but mostly i wanted to try something different...

I know a lot of people will tell me this is not possible, but i wanted to make a comb.. I know it wouldent work as a normal comb pick, but i was wondering if i had the lock picked to operating sheer line, and if i had the plug in the 180 degree position, i was thinking depending on the biting or key pin length, I might, just might be able to get the rest of the pins above the control sheer line...

i have been asked my some local police and firemen to demo a sfic lock but i only have 1, and ofcouse it doesnt have any keys, and its in a mortise housing... it was given to me by a locksmith in a neighboring town... Id love to just admit defeat and buy one with keys but im in-between jobs at the moment and quite low on funds :/

again, i know most ppl will say its simpally not possible, but id like to give it a try anyway :P

id still like to have the measurements for the finch style tension wrench, i know the holes on the bottom of the plug are smaller so the measurements wouldent quite work for the comb i want to make, but yeah.. the sfic tension wrench i made doesnt quite match up in all the holes, so those numbers would be great to have aswell, thanks
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:03 am

Jordo- wrote:I know a lot of people will tell me this is not possible, but i wanted to make a comb.. I know it wouldent work as a normal comb pick, but i was wondering if i had the lock picked to operating sheer line, and if i had the plug in the 180 degree position, i was thinking depending on the biting or key pin length, I might, just might be able to get the rest of the pins above the control sheer line... again, i know most ppl will say its simpally not possible, but id like to give it a try anyway :P

It could technically be possible but you would have to be in a very specific set of circumstances for it to happen. The cuts for the control shearline can actually be lower than operating. If all the operating cuts are deep and you manage to turn the plug 180° you would then have to deal with the pins in the plug taking up roughly half of your space. If you managed to get the comb tool in it might not be long enough to lift the pins above the control shear line. If there is even a single high cut it is not possible as the pins will not be able to be pushed up high enough to clear the control shear line.

But then you run into the problem of dropping thinner master pins when you turn the plug 180° and really screwing up the lock and generally ruining the reason you would want to take the core out that way. So while it being theoretically possible something as simple as having the top caps can throw even that off. It would be a one in a million chance of actually working.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Jordo-

Post Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:19 am

Thanks for the positive response! that's a couple of things I wasn't thinking about,

1) the fact that " The cuts for the control shear-line can actually be lower than operating." and 2) ".. then you run into the problem of dropping thinner master pins when you turn the plug 180° and really screwing up the lock and generally ruining the reason you would want to take the core out that way."

but yeah.. if i do manage to get the thing open to control, i will most likely have it re-keyed to so i can properly demo it, and to have a working sfic in my collection... however I think I'm about to admit defeat on it... I have gotten it open probably close to 500+ times but always to operating sheer line :/

thank you for pointing these things out, I was kinda looking it a certain way, and not seeing the total picture, so to speek, just want to get the dam thing outta' its housing :P
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:17 pm

Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

Jordo-

Post Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:15 am

thanks! i have came across that page before but ill defiantly give it a look over again..

Return to Uber-Noob