FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

beginners frustration

<<

tumbl3r

Familiar Face

Post Sat May 21, 2016 7:05 am

Re: beginners frustration

You have gotten a ton of really great advice and I really only have one small thing to add:

When I am working with people to get better at single pin picking I always suggest that they redefine the goal away from actually opening the lock.
This seems strange, right? It is, but we often get so hung up in opening the damn things that we forget to learn from them.
Rather make your goal feeling a single pin set. Just one single pin. Set it over and over until you can recognize it in your sleep.
Next back off on your tension until you can feel it when it is more subtle. Remember, you are not opening the lock. Just feeling for a single pin to set.
Keep backing off the tension until you can just hardly feel it. Only then start working on the other pins with the goal of opening the lock.

I hope this helps you. Good luck, and keep picking!
<<

NCFXSTI

Post Sat May 21, 2016 8:26 am

Re: beginners frustration

I'm still a noob too, and it can be frustrating at times.. I learned the hard way not to go full bore and load up 5-6 security pins in a lock and expect it to open as fast as standards LOL

about the time i got into the hobby, i was working with a former locksmith, he was kind enough to give me a box of stuff to play with ( right before he moved 3 hours away with a HUGE stash of stuff) , so i have some kwiksets i can send you for that wide open keyway practice if you'd like, send me a PM when you get a chance
Previous

Return to Uber-Noob