FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

When is it time to move onto something more complex?

<<

StreetShotz

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:28 pm

When is it time to move onto something more complex?

So I very recently purchased some propter picks and began picking the locks I have.
I can open each one, some take more time than others but what I think to myself is, "do I truly understand what I just did to get it unlocked?"

My goal is to improve my skillset and take that onto more complex locks. My concern is that I may be able to get a lock unlocked, but is it good enough to simply unlock it, or should I be able to know what each and every pin is doing and at what point each pin needs to be picked?

Perhaps I'm just reading into it to much and should be after the end result.....a once locked lock that I have opened.

Regards,
Tim
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:33 pm

Re: When is it time to move onto something more complex?

Are you raking or single-pin-picking?

If you're SPPing a lock you can usually feel each pin set, and knowing how many pins there are you usually have a pretty good idea when getting close to being picked open.

If you're just sticking a pick in there and wiggling it around until it happens to pop open, you might want to back up andd take some time to FEEL what's going on in there.

If you can repeatedly pick open most common types of pin tumbler locks, to the point you're getting bored with it, I think it's time to move up to more complicated stuff like security pins, high security locks, etc.
<<

StreetShotz

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:33 pm

I'm SPPing the locks, but on some of them that I have a hard time with I don't feel that I truly picked them when I accidentally bumped a pin with the pick and it unlocks. It does not feel like its controlled or intentional.
I just want to become proficient with SPPing and develop a better feel for it. Everything (in my mind) should be intentional.
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:24 pm

You're dead right - you want it to be intentional.

Take your time & go very slowly. Insert the pick and feel each pin. Make sure that you can lift pins individually, without disturbing others. Notice which ones are springy and how they feel. Notice the binding pin & how it feels. Slowly lift the binding pin and notice how it feels when you set it correctly - it will click into place, the plug will turn slightly (you might not be able to see this, but you will feel it through the tension wrench) & you will notice that it takes more force to lift it any further. Notice how the set pin feels, and how there is no spring force behind it. Now feel around for the next binding pin & set it. Continue until the lock opens. Do not try to set a pin if it isn't binding, if it is springy, leave it alone.

You will have a much higher success rate with more secure locks if you take the time to do the above.

Once you can reliably SPP as described above, move on to locks with security pins and high tolerances.

Hope that helps,

...Mark
<<

StreetShotz

Post Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:05 am

Now, I'm a REAL noob when it comes to picking.

I have a Sparrow's set of practice locks. They are offered in 2, 3, 4, and 5 pin. I have all 4 and I can pick the 2 and 3 pin with ease. I can feel everything going on inside the cylinder and can have them open in under 20 seconds each but the 4 pin I can not get.
I can feel each pin, I move from one binding pin to the next. Once each upper pin feels set all the the lower pins are giving no feedback and are loose in the keyway however the lock will not turn. I have tried different conbinations of the pins, different picks, different tension tools. I have looked at the key biting to give me a better idea how far each pin needs to be set and still no dice. Its the same with the 4 and 5 pin Sparrows cylinders. I have managed to get them open a few times but it was more blind luck than skill :P Guess I will keep at them till I can get it down like the other two.

Return to Uber-Noob