FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Cash Register keys?

<<

Q3b

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Cash Register keys?

Would anyone know what this key does because I do not know much about it, I got a lot of keys from a friend who used to work at the popular store by me named kroger and he gave me alot of other keys too but the keys on this set seemed the coolest because well idunno they just seemed cool.
(ill add pics of all the keys I got also)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

bitbuster

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Cash Register keys?

could be for cash box, register paper roll , on/off switch. etc.
keep watching as someone will have the correct info for you.
'Gunter glieben glauten globen' Def Leppard, Rock of Ages, 1983
<<

mercurial

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:24 am

It is a cash register key. It isn't to open the till draw directly, it is used to operate a switch that controls what mode he cash register is in.

Depending on the manufacturer, the following designations(in caps) are stamped on cash register keys :

OP = Operator mode
MA = Master (program) mode
PGM = Program mode
M = Manager mode
OW = Owner mode
REG = Register mode
MGR = Manager mode
S = Service mode
P = Program mode
Z = Z report
C = Service mode
VD = Void enabled

The REG designation is used by Samsung, and likely some others.

Hope that helps,

...Mark
<<

grit1

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Also, in your first picture, the top right most ring of keys with the little white plastic house looking thing on it...the National cabinet lock key on that ring is for electrical panels made by Cutler Hammer/EATON.

Here's a link to a picture of that key: https://www.platt.com/platt-electric-su ... pid=838753
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:42 pm

I spy a couple Best and Instakey keys too!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:15 am

grit1 wrote:Also, in your first picture, the top right most ring of keys with the little white plastic house looking thing on it...the National cabinet lock key on that ring is for electrical panels made by Cutler Hammer/EATON.

Here's a link to a picture of that key: https://www.platt.com/platt-electric-su ... pid=838753

THANK YOU! I have one of these and wondered what it's for, already on my "common keys" ring

Also see an "ibutton" ( Silver fob, bottom right stamped "2") which is a type of electronic chip used in a lot of stuff, as well as a paper towel/TP dispenser key (the 2 pronged one on the same ring as the "ibutton"), A c415A, which is another really common key, and that little "mickey mouse ears" key in the middle is cool, no clue on it, looks too small for a water valve.

I have seen Best locks on some Kroger stores, so maybe those went to the store at one time. The Dillons here (owned by Kroger) used medecos.

As for register keys, for any given brand, they are usually the same, n that a Samsung Manager key will fit any Samsung, an NCR, any NCR, etc... The only ones that are usually not all the same are the cash drawer keys, for obvious reasons.

The barcode tag could be just a loyalty (spy) card, or it could be to log on to the store's POS computer system (yeah, real secure, right?)
Cool stuff
<<

Fred B

Familiar Face

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:55 am

(The little "mickey mouse ears" key in the middle )

That Is A Old Steam Heat Radiator key You use to use it to bleed of the air in the Radiator

http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Flo-20322-Ez-F ... B00838ILV6
<<

PhoneMan

Post Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:10 pm

[quote="Fred B"](The little "mickey mouse ears" key in the middle )

That Is A Old Steam Heat Radiator key You use to use it to bleed of the air in the Radiator

Cool to know, very similar to a water spigot key then
<<

Fred B

Familiar Face

Post Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:04 am

grit1 wrote:Also, in your first picture, the top right most ring of keys with the little white plastic house looking thing on it...the National cabinet lock key on that ring is for electrical panels made by Cutler Hammer/EATON.

On the same ring is a light switch key

https://www.platt.com/platt-electric-su ... zpid=35055
<<

KJ4IPS

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun May 03, 2015 12:09 pm

The cash register key reminds me of the SAM4S (Samsung) ones we have at the shop. They are usually just 3 or so wafers, and a bunch of wards for access control. That one (being marked REG and with all the metal there) is the cashier's key, it can only turn on the register, and sell items, a manager key is often needed for anything as complex as a void or refund. Register keys are more of a formality than anything else.

Fun Fact: most registers that use a keyswitch often have a unlabeled 'service' position or two.
It is foolish to think that any puzzle born of human ingenuity cannot be unraveled by the same (Someone whose name I have forgotten)

Return to Uber-Noob