FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Plug follower advice

<<

scudo

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Plug follower advice

I got this lock a while back and I did manage to rake it open, got it back out today and tried spp the lock but due to some play in the body I couldnt hold it all steady (the locking latch) so I had another go and raked it open, at this point I had opened it a few times with the key but that sometimes was a bit sticky, I worked out it was the play in the body and if rotated to certain point all worked fine. I then decided looking at the bitting that it could be a bit difficult for me, also known as a challenge :-) so I took the latch off to stop the annoying play in the lock and then tried the key and it wouldnt go all the way in so looks like something has jammed inside or a bent pin.
So I need to dismantle the lock which I have never done yet so need a plug follower...like now...not tomorrow or the day after.
So what are the tolerences? the plug is 12.5 mm dia and the nearest thing I can get (pen tube) is 11mm. would this be enough tolerance to stop pins dropping out.

lock.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Re: Plug follower advice

You could add a bit of tape to the pen tube to take up the extra space.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

scudo

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks, that should do it.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:02 pm

You can always use a long piece of paper rolled up tight which once inserted into the plug will expand.
You can also use a battery. I personally have several pen bodies, pen caps, marker caps, and a few other things I found around the house.
<<

escapenrv

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Also wooden dowels or rods can be sanded down to fit as can small plastic handle pocket screwdrivers. I have made a lot from different things and only have 2 factory made ones that came with two used repin kits.
Hope you get it fixed....
Steve
<<

scudo

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks for the replies I should be able to fashion something to work. Just being wary as never taken a plug out as yet.

At worst I will take the last pin out as I think that maybe the issue basing it on how far the key goes in.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:04 pm

I used a big drill bit on an imported fire safe last week, just slightly smaller then the aaa battery I grabbed at first
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:38 pm

If you have a drill index you have a large assortment at your finger tips! The shank will work just fine, you may have to use a shim to bridge the back of the cylinder if it isn't flat. Other than that, I've used these many times in a pinch!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:30 am

I've used a twist drill in a pinch working on odd sized locks. Otherwise, the dozen or so followers I have will work. My personal favorite for general use is the Keedex K-6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md5lUjWNAs4
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

scudo

Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:54 am

Thanks all, I have found a round piece of wood that was used for engine valve grinding just had to slide off the rubber end part, almost exact size.
<<

GringoLocksmith

Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:11 pm

This wouldn't work for that Century lock, but a few months ago I went down to Home Depot and bought ten feet of 1/2" PVC Sch. 40 Plain-End Pipe for a couple of bucks. It's the perfect diameter for most standard locks and now I've got a decade's supply of plug followers. They're so cheap that I don't mind losing them. Plus the material is soft enough that I can quickly trim them down in the field if I need the end to be shaped differently.
<<

scudo

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:17 pm

Need some more help on this :-(

So being the first time I have tried to dismantle a lock the first pin managed to ping off in to orbit, with a bit of luck I may find it. Anyhow that made me more cautious and I got the key pins out and then one by one the drive pins, except that another 2 were missing and a spring was badly damaged. I was adamant I didnt launch those other 2 pins and on further inspection I find they are still in place in the barrel but I cannot budge them.
Although I was given this lock still boxed and unused I am beginning to think that was because it wasnt working properly.

Any ideas? I have tried tapping the barrel with a hammer and prodding with a pick to no avail.

In the picture below you can see pins 3 and 5 are still in situ

pins.JPG

Looking down the barrel you can just see pin 5 pin 3 is lower down below the shear line.

pins 1.JPG

pins 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Deadlock

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:59 pm

Just tap 'em out with a blunt nail or something. They shouldn't be stuck like that, so something's not right.

If you've lost a pin, just run a brass magnet over the floor... kidding, you'll need to get down on your hands and knees and sweep the floor with a paintbrush. The biggest one you got is fine, it's just a matter of focusing in.

You know dry cleaning bags? They're a good thing to take locks apart inside, 'cos the plastic's thin enough to easily see through, but it will catch any pins or springs.
<<

Doogs

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Try sticking it in the freezer for 1/2 hour or so hopefully the pins will shrink enough to fall out. Just don't wait too long or the whole cylinder will contract and defeat the purpose.

ETA: put it in a ziploc first otherwise the pins and springs might go flying around the freezer compartment.
:ugeek:
The other, other, other, other Mike

(21:55:20) HAL 9001RC:: Heh heh uh heh uh heh uh uh heh PhoneMan said ass
<<

scudo

Post Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Just tap 'em out with a blunt nail or something

Not possible as there is no access to tap them OUT I would be tapping them IN even further. Image maybe a bit misleading.

you'll need to get down on your hands and knees and sweep the floor

Fortunately its a small room but I did hear it ping the floor. If I cant find it (and I get the other pins out) I can either make it a 4 pin or try and make another pin....should be fun.
Next

Return to Uber-Noob