FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

GWiens2001's Locks

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Re: GWiens2001's Locks

I agree, Jim. Also, no teenage kids sneaking back into the house through that door once Mom and Dad lock it up at night. Of course that could be seen as a benefit or a flaw, depending on whose side you take. :-D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:22 pm

Thirard Cobra M+ Pump lock

Received today from Poland (Gotta love eBay)

Thirard Cobra M+ euro profile lock. My first French push-style (or pump) lock.

Drawing of the internals from the packaging

The face of the lock. Interesting profile type not typically seen here in the USA

Views of the key:

Tip of the key, with the moving element being the center post and the bottom 'bitting'.

And the moving element pushed in. That top 'bitting' is all part of the moving element.

Some specs from the packaging.

Sorry Oldfast, no gut shots today. Too late for that kind of fun. :-P

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:34 am

Re: Thirard Cobra M+ Pump lock

GWiens2001 wrote:Received today from Poland (Gotta love eBay)

Gordon

No doubt about it! I'm as jealous as hell! :mrgreen: Actually more like totally lusting after the Cobra!! Really cool.

I see these in the hardware shops here in France, but I've not actually had the cash to slap down for it. I've been waiting for you to post pics since it gives so much more detail then trying to make it out through the packaging in the shop lol.

Many thanks for sharing, Gordon. Can't wait to see it gutted. Mind those springs, dude.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:37 am

Just noticed that your packaging is in English. Now that IS curious. Up until now I didn't know that Thirard sold outside France (and I guess possibly Canada). Great to see.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:43 am

It's sold here too. Very expensive but not too secure.
On one side it's a really nice lock, a special if not extraordinary one!
But it's priced so highly here, and it's no competitor to a Keso or an Evva when it comes to security.
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:32 pm

MrAnybody wrote:Just noticed that your packaging is in English. Now that IS curious. Up until now I didn't know that Thirard sold outside France (and I guess possibly Canada). Great to see.

More of a surprise, even for me...

Yep, they have a distributor in Poland!!! The information on the back of the package was in 8 languages, too. :-)

The lock feels very solid, and i think it is supposed to be one of Therard's better locks. They also make some cheap locks, too. Much like you can get a cheap pin tumbler lock from Fichet, or mid level locks, or an F3D (if you have the money, which I don't).

Gordon
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:08 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:
The lock feels very solid, and i think it is supposed to be one of Therard's better locks. They also make some cheap locks, too. Much like you can get a cheap pin tumbler lock from Fichet, or mid level locks, or an F3D (if you have the money, which I don't).

Gordon

Yes, I agree with you, Gordon. You can find a broad range of Thirard in the big chain hardware stores here in France. The hi-sec stuff is sold under the 'Optimum' branding like the Cobra you've got. They also do cheaper ranges under the 'Confort' and 'Classique' branding. The 'Classique' being the cheapest range.

Locks under the 'Optimum' range is a very well made and respected range, and includes Federal, Atlantic M, Transit, and Trafic 12. There could be some others. There is another Pump lock in the 'Optimum' series labeled as the 'Cobra M', but without the '+'. I believe the only difference between those 2 is that the '+' has increased drilling protection. So, if you can find the one's without the '+' at a cheaper price, you are dealing with the same mechanism.

Another interesting one is the 'Atlantic M', a dimple variety with 2 mobile pins in the key. Very cool.

MrAnybody's Locks

<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:16 pm

BTW - thanks for the warning on the springs, MrA. Not taking it apart yet, but good to have the warning. Funny, you can put the key into the lock and turn it to have the key retained, hold the lock so it is vertical, then use the cam to turn the plug, launching the key 3-4 centimeters into the air. It made my son crack up when I showed him. :mrgreen:

Gordon
<<

ARF-GEF

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:17 pm

The issue with that lock (if it is what it seems to me: a version of AXIRA) is the drilling/milling resistance. Otherwise it is a really nice intriguing lock. People here are totally unprepared to pick it or to copy the key so it's very well defended in those areas.
I might have came across wrong: I love the lock, it's something I been wanting to get for a long time now. The fact that it has low drilling resistance does not decrease my interest in it and my fascination, it just means that I don't recommend it to people :)
So congratulations it's an amazing collection piece, just don't use it on you house :D
(I would recommend a dom diamant instead ;) )

The rocket launching key sounds really cool!
To infinity... and beyond!
=== WARNING DANGER OF TYPOS!===
Arfspeak: calnin cladycomes: you allow her key in themodning
Equals in plain English: cleaning lady comes: you allow her key in the morning
<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:31 pm

ARF-GEF wrote:The rocket launching key sounds really cool!

:lol: Yep, love that. The force behind the springs is really something. Can do the same to your pins on gutting :lol: . You might even get them as far as the ceiling !! As you can imagine .... nowhere near as amusing :lol:

MrAnybody's Locks

<<

keymaster1053

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:49 pm

Re: Thirard Cobra M+ Pump lock

GWiens2001 wrote:Received today from Poland (Gotta love eBay)

Drawing of the internals from the packaging

The face of the lock. Interesting profile type not typically seen here in the USA

Views of the key:

Tip of the key, with the moving element being the center post and the bottom 'bitting'.

And the moving element pushed in. That top 'bitting' is all part of the moving element.

Some specs from the packaging.

Sorry Oldfast, no gut shots today. Too late for that kind of fun. :-P

Gordon

Wow, very nice! any more available? how much do they go for?
Jim.
(20:10:59) Blacky: oki
(20:18:08) MBI: Me working for the CIA is about as likely as you working in the Middle East.
(20:19:01) Riyame: lol
(20:19:05) Riyame: he is in dubai
(20:19:26) MBI rescinds his previous comment
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:56 pm

ARF-GEF wrote:The issue with that lock (if it is what it seems to me: a version of AXIRA) is the drilling/milling resistance. Otherwise it is a really nice intriguing lock. People here are totally unprepared to pick it or to copy the key so it's very well defended in those areas.
I might have came across wrong: I love the lock, it's something I been wanting to get for a long time now. The fact that it has low drilling resistance does not decrease my interest in it and my fascination, it just means that I don't recommend it to people :)

Did not take you wrong, ARF-GEF. You are correct about this being a version of AXIRA. However, as MrA pointed out, this has increased drill resistance (High security certified (the highest grade 6,2) ). Also, doubt many people here in Tucson have even seen a lock like this, let alone know how to get through it. :-)

ARF-GEF wrote:So congratulations it's an amazing collection piece, just don't use it on you house :D

Don't plan on it anyway. Too good a lock, and they will just break a window. If they try to kick in my door, I want a copy of the x-rays they have taken of their broken foot! :mrgreen:

ARF-GEF wrote:The rocket launching key sounds really cool!

My son thinks so, too!

MrAnybody wrote: :lol: Yep, love that. The force behind the springs is really something. Can do the same to your pins on gutting :lol: . You might even get them as far as the ceiling !! As you can imagine .... nowhere near as amusing :lol:

Bet you are right about that! Reminds me of taking apart the driver pins of a U-Change. Good thing for tile floors instead of carpeting! :oops: :lol:

Gordon
<<

plugspin

Familiar Face

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Sorry for digging up an old thread. Anyway, a couple years back I was at a talk by Peter Fields of Medeco where he mentioned the Sezam Lock. According to him, the idea of the design was to intentionally make the lock slow to open. It was designed in Soviet times and supposedly the police required a key to every house in some places. So you installed one of these locks, and when the police decided to let themselves in, it gave you a a few extra moments to hide anything in your home that might need to be hidden once you first heard them working the lock. I don't know if it is true, but it makes for an interesting bit of trivia. Very nice lock there btw, I didn't realize they still made them.
<<

Marduk28

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu May 01, 2014 3:23 am

Wow nice lock!

I have never heard of Thirard locks before.

Has anyone here ever picked one?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu May 01, 2014 3:31 am

Have picked that very lock not long after I received it. Here it is in the picked position:

Note that the post is no longer centered in line with the bottom of the keyway, compared with the picture above.

Have been working on updating this thread, but it is rather daunting. :?

Gordon
PreviousNext

Return to Your Lock Collections