FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Best way to display your antique lock collection?

<<

Lauren

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Best way to display your antique lock collection?

I have well over a hundred antique padlocks. I'm looking for some clever ideas to display my collection in my home. My uncle has a hexagonal coffee table that has a class top for displaying his arrow head collection. This is perhaps the best idea I have seen yet. I'm looking to build the display my self. Let's see some ideas..... Thanks for sharing.
<<

edsmiley

Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin
Contributor - Research & Development Kingpin

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Best way to display your antique lock collection?

Hi Lauren,

I don't have any exact ideas, but do some searching for some previous lock collectors shows and you will get tons of ideas. I was at one last summer and the people there have some pretty awesome displays. Here are some:

http://www.lancasterlockshow.com/gallery.html
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:21 pm

Lauren,

If you want something you make and have it be unique, how about making a case that wraps around part of a room with the top, back and sides of wood and the front glass or Lexan inset into the wood. Make it tall enough for one, maybe two locks above each other hanging on a peg, possibly with black velvet on the back wall to make the locks stand out.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:55 pm

Sounds cool...let's keep it coming. I'm also thinking of using an old wagon wheel or from farm equipment. Forget the wagon wheel coffee table. I suffer from "When Harry Met Sally" syndrome.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Lauren wrote:Sounds cool...let's keep it coming. I'm also thinking of using an old wagon wheel or from farm equipment. Forget the wagon wheel coffee table. I suffer from "When Harry Met Sally" syndrome.

Not a bad movie. However, if no wagon wheel table, what about trimming the back of the hub so it lays flat... against the wall. Glass top or no glass top. It would be an interesting conversation piece to display your locks, but you will need to figure out how to hang the locks inside.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Lauren

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:40 pm

I would use old square nails or even barbed wire.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Clearly, it will be a while before it is done. When it is, can you please post a picture of the finished display case for the rest of us to drool over?

Gordon
<<

Josephus

Post Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:29 pm

Square nails are nice. You can get real antique ones with a good patina free or cheap from barn deconstructions. It is also a good thing to check out to score some common locks. I acquired a Yale Towne padlock that was owned by the C & O (railroad buffs love this stuff) and a beat up but still working lever lock of unknown manufacture for free that way. Avoid 'architectural salvage' as it is the same stuff with massive price tags for the interior designer social set.

Return to Your Lock Collections