FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Locksmiths = Good people

<<

Libertyclicks

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:03 am

Locksmiths = Good people

I called around to some local locksmith places to see what they had lying around that I can learn from.
I started each conversation with asking about security pins and locksport in the area.
Two of the shops knew what I was talking about and completely opened their doors and cabinets to me. One lady gave me Sargent, Schlage, Windspec, Hamah, and a lock I don't know for free, just for chatting with her for ten minutes. The other shop invited me in, gave me some different spools just for asking nicely. I talked with the three guys there for quite a while about all types of locks, they showed me safe cutaways and different security lock cutaways (primus, medeco).

I feel it's my duty to go drop off coffee at these places when I have a day off.

I'm sure you guys know what the second lock is there with the symbol I don't recognize. If you can reply and let me know I'd appreciate that.
( I apologize that picture is much more clear on my phone ... That unknown lock looks like a G with an in laid d symbol.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:08 am

Re: Locksmiths = Good people

Very cool man. It is nice to see some locksmiths that are open to lock sport instead of just going stone faced and ignoring you. And yes, I am sure coffee would be appreciated.
PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 am

Man, that's sounds like a great day! Indeed that's nice to hear that many of them were so responsive & helpful.

p.s. sorry, dunno the brand of your unknown lock... I'm sure someone will though.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:21 am

That is great. I personally have not approached the subject with the local locksmiths I occasionally go to. The one company is so big that they only have a retail storefront as a 'convenience' and their prices reflect that...so I rarely go there. The other is a smaller family owned business that does a lot of access control, cameras, and of course locks. I guess I just don't see the need to let them know that I own lockpicks...lol
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

magician59

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:55 am

Hsck...Come to Houston. Bring your locks and picks. We'll meet at a Starbucks and make an afternoon of it!
Nemo Malus Felix
<<

verz

Familiar Face

Post Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:49 pm

Someone I know had a warded padlock with no key so I told them I would try to make them a key for it. I took the lock to a older locksmith a couple of miles away and told him I was looking for a key blank, he looked at me strange so I told him I was a hobbyist and wanted to make a key for entertainment he said "oh that makes a lot more sense" and he was friendly after that.

He asked me if I have ever impression locks before I said "no I was just going to file the warded tabs off" then he pulled out a skeleton key from a large ring of keys and said like this? I said "exactly" he didn't say anything but was friendly about the weather and small chit chat.

Friendly guy but I could tell he was no open to revealing any locksmith "secrets".
<<

Alera

Familiar Face

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:19 pm

I was originally assuming it was an offsping of a S&G, but I didn't notice the mention of the lower case d. Maybe it's just a generic brand. I'll try to look into it a little bit more.
'Go Analog Baby, You're So Post-Modern'
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:01 pm

that's cool to hear. i was naive to think all locksmiths/lock pick enthusiasts would be happy to talk about some pickin but that hasn't been my experience. they sound a helluva lot nicer than the locksmith shop owners in my area...

edit: dang, i just realized my reply was not in keeping w the thread title, my bad. it's good to know that they are out there though..outside of these forums i wouldn't have known
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

UnlockD

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:55 pm

I went into a place in my city by the name of Ottawa Key Shop - as a fellow locksmith I expected hostility from these guys; quite the opposite - they brought me into their back rooms and showed me all their toys and tools and machines. They were exceptionally nice to say the least.
<<

Gregted

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 am

Ditto on the good service and open information from my local bloke that gave me the Emhart and the 2 Abloys. He invited me into the back room and told me to take what I wanted from the stuff they were throwing out.

Of course I took the lot....

Then he told me to come back next week and he will have lots more. He even told me one of the tradesmen was cleaning out his truck and he will keep all his stuff. Can't wait to get back and see my goodies.

There are a few more locksmith shops in my area so I will have to try them all soon. You never know..
Aut viam inveniam aut ipse viam faciam
"I shall either find a way, or make a way myself."

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.” ― George Bernard Shaw
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:26 am

one shop near me kinda freaked out when I went to buy some blanks, I know bump keys were just starting to make a appearance in the area at the time. I have just kinda keep quiet about my picking after that and order stuff online.

Return to Your Lock Collections