FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Don "The Lock Whisperer"

<<

MrAnybody

The Muffin Man
The Muffin Man

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:36 am

Re: Don "The Lock Whisperer"

Don wrote:This pick I aquired a few years back.. not exactly sure what make/ model of disc lock it goes to .. any help on identifying this will be helpful. Thanks

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like one of Jaakko's early Abus picks. Up to version 3 could deal with the Abus Granit Plus series, but in response to his tool Abus changed so tension didn't come from the front disc. This tool with tension from the front disc (closest to you), but will not work on the Abus Granit X Plus series.

The X Plus series also has thinner discs than the Granit Plus.

Jaakko hasn't worked on a version 4 that I know of. If anyone has any further info, I'd love to hear it.

MrAnybody's Locks

DISCLAIMER: Reader may posit an understanding of what was written, while this may not coincide with the intended meaning of what is read. Use of brain is required. No purchase necessary. One size fits all, and may contain traces of gibberish.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:35 pm

MrAnybody is right, it REALLY looks almost identical to one of Jaako's Abus disc detainer picks. The only thing that puzzles me is that in chat the other day Don, you mentioned you've had it for ten years or so, and I'm not sure Jaako was making his Abus pick that far back.

We interviewed Jaako for an article in NDE magazine back in 2008 and I know that as of 2007 he had a working pick developed, and used his pick to find an additional exploit in those locks, but I'm not sure how far before that he originally had it.

One thing that jumps out at me is that your pick has knurled handles. I'm pretty sure I remember chatting with him in IRC on #lp101 back around 2008 and he was saving up for a knurling attachment for his lathe back at that time, and the pictures of his pick in NDE magazine issue #3, he was not yet knurling the handles at that point.

I think we just need to ask him when he made his first Abus pick, and show him a pic of yours Don and see if he recognizes it as his work. If it's not one of his, I'd sure like to know who did make it, and what lock it's designed for. Do you have an Abus disc detainer lock to test it on?
<<

Don

Familiar Face

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:29 pm

MBI wrote:MrAnybody is right, it REALLY looks almost identical to one of Jaako's Abus disc detainer picks. The only thing that puzzles me is that in chat the other day Don, you mentioned you've had it for ten years or so, and I'm not sure Jaako was making his Abus pick that far back.

Do you have an Abus disc detainer lock to test it on?

Hard to put an exact date on when I got it, but I can get close. I think it was 2002 maybe 2003. I don't think it is newer than that.
No, I don't have a lock to test it on, It has never been used by me, I do like the design and bought the Ford Tibbe pick to get some different ideas. 1 more project that I need to " get around to" :)
<<

femurat

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:50 am

I got this from Jaakko in 2009. He said it was the last one remaining from an old batch he made. Looks almost identical to yours.

Cheers :)
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:52 am

have the brass one, but not here now so I cant remember if it had the knurling, I believe it does, I bought a more recent one and it is the same except that it dosne't have the longitudinal index mark or the marks for the disc decoding on the thimble. its also made of steel. both are top tensioning,
Previous

Return to Your Lock Collections