FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Lock Storage

<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:44 pm

Lock Storage

So someone on here has a setup at home for their padlocks that is a pegboard stand and have all the padlocks hanging. I love that setup but where did you get it? Or did you make it?

I have limited space where I live and I was thinking of something like a pegboard for on my desk. Anyone have any ideas?
<<

LockManipulator

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:00 pm

Re: Lock Storage

Screwing wooden dowels onto a sheet of wood would work.
<<

mech

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/duction
www.Lockpick.co
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:22 pm

It isn't as pretty, but it holds more if you have a little room to spare. Here's my lock (and lock related tools) storage.

IMG_20120304_135454.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

Tarquin

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:41 pm

I was thinking of doing something like Aed has myself. I'm also looking at drilling some pegs into my walls in my storage room too, but right now I just don't have that many locks so it's not necessary for me to worry about space like that at this stage.

I think the little plastic containers like Aed has works well for parts and sorting and stuff. I don't know how well those would work for holding a few hundred pounds of locks though, which is why I'm still contemplating just drilling some pegs into the support beams in my basement.
<<

Aedalas

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Tarquin wrote: I don't know how well those would work for holding a few hundred pounds of locks though
That is (almost) completely dependent on how you attach it, and to what you attach it. I have mine attached to two horizontal boards that are screwed into three different studs, all using pretty beefy screws. Can't remember what size, but they're definitely not drywall screws.

As for the units themselves...I have no accurate method to weigh them here, but I can't hold my padlock drawer with one hand without my whole arm shaking, and I'm a pretty big guy.

The reason i say it's almost dependent on the attachment is that at some point the plastic lips on the bins will give. The whole unit I'm sure would hold several hundred pounds. Each bin though would have a limit, but not a very low one.
"What if you people made giant boulders illegal because of all the innocent people who get killed by giant boulders?"
"People dont kill people with giant boulders"
"They will if you take away their assault rifles"
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:35 pm

My collection transformed from a toolbox into this unit of 6 drawers and some boxes on top. One of the drawers is next to me as I was looking for a Best key. I've also got 2 pin kits and a few plastic parts boxes with tools and misc.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Tarquin

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:41 pm

Damn, Jeff. My nanny would kill me if she saw me put that much random shit in my storage room.

Actually, this weekend I'm scrubbing the concrete with bleach water while she's in Vegas.

Then again it's so I have a clean place to age my beer, so... I dunno. But I'm tellin' ya', no way in HELL would I get away with that here, beer or no beer.

Anyway, on to the subject... See those red steel shelves over on your left? I'd like something like that as a workspace, personally. Just toss some particle board down on it to create a shelf and some drawers and it'd be ::awesome:: for a workspace for picking. Right now all I've got is my kitchen table (which you've seen in my vids) or a filthy old bench table down in the basement. I use the kitchen so I can take videos without being ashamed, but then I have to clean up every night if I want to eat dinner.

I need me some shelves like you have.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:49 pm

I kinda like the idea of a rotating rack/lazy susan type thing to hang shitloads of locks on.

Kinda like at my local pawnshop, but maybe smaller... viewtopic.php?p=41592#p41592

Anyway, I've had my eye out for a while now for just the right one.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Tarquin

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:52 pm

Oldfast wrote:I kinda like the idea of a rotating rack/lazy susan type thing to hang shitloads of locks on.

Kinda like at my local pawnshop, but maybe smaller... viewtopic.php?p=41592#p41592

My fear is that it would get imbalanced and tip, or a kid would knock it or something. Then my shit would go everywhere including my floor drain.

Also, what the fuck!? On the right in this pic... Are those nunchucks?!
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Oldfast wrote:I kinda like the idea of a rotating rack/lazy susan type thing to hang shitloads of locks on.

That is kind of what I want but small enough for my desk. My locks have completely taken over my desk. I want to get something figured out before my sexy Sparrows pinning mat gets here and I need to do a video with that.

The one mentioned in my original post if I remember right was a stand of some sort with the pegs. It was perfect, but I can't find anything like it so I may have to build one.
<<

Lumpy

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:29 am

This may sound cheesy, but I've been looking at bathroom counter top
hand towel racks for my desk. I want to hang my locks open.

Just need to pick one that balances well. Something like this.

Just a thought.

rack.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-= Lumpy =-
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:10 pm

Tarquin, there is a video of my whole shop on my YouTube channel. I live with my parents and they let me do whatever I want in the basement lol.
I've also been looking for a better way to organize my padlocks too, they are in the two boxes up top.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Tarquin wrote:
Oldfast wrote:..... Also, what the fuck!? On the right in this pic... Are those nunchucks?! .....

lol.... can't remember. But I think they were part of some old tool or mechanism of some kind. There's a couple things on that rack that are 'out of sorts'.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:59 pm

So I went to Lowes tonight. I had a brilliant plan to build the perfect desktop rack to hold locks. 12" wide by 24" tall. Steel tubing frame with a diamondplate backing. 6 bolts 6" long each to hold the locks and 3 sections of angle for keys etc.
I got to the register and had a general idea where I was price wise and I didn't like it but I thought "what the hell." Then the cashier said "$87.35"

So what I got instead was this Rubbermaid Pan rack.

IMG_20120409_213622-(1).jpg
Next

Return to Your Lock Collections