FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Starting a collection?

<<

NothingVentured

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:08 pm

Starting a collection?

I have been trying to open some doors to find old locks, the type most people have had sitting around the house forgotten for many years. I placed an ad on Craig's List that hasn't really gotten me far, and I have asked an auctioneer to keep his eyes open in houses that they liquidate. I didn't have much time to look at yard sales this year for locks or anything else, so I wanted to know where you find your locks? I'm not interested in eBay and I really need to find the dirt cheap locks right now. The next most important question is whether there is a reference book for common lock prices. I have had two railroad padlocks offered to me, but one owner wanted too much and the second didn't receive my reply about wanting to look at pictures of his lock to see if I thought I might be able to afford it.

I read through posts here and can see that lock prices are probably all over depending on the lock. Could anyone at least tell me what a good range for those older American locks should be with and without a key? I will start by asking what this lock is worth, if anything. It is a SHOWA magnetic card lock with what looks to be a side pin master cylinder? I got this off a door that came from a local motel that had changed over a lot of doors because they were changing lock systems.
Maglockset_001.jpg
Maglockset_003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

LocksmithArmy

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Re: Starting a collection?

well thats certainly a neat start to what im sure will be a very nice collection...
ill go ahead and say most of what i got comes from people around here or ebay.
the army was good to me with locks and some pawn shops (the old ones not the new techno ones)
also flea markets are a fine place to look

if your in the market for anything let me know ill probably sell it to you. ive got so much to sell i dont even know where to begin listing it.(especially if ur into high security)
Pokey wrote:"Come and get me, loser! Spankity spankity spankity!"
<<

Thedonofdeath

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:25 pm

well for cheap locks literally look on the ground lol. I have found prob ten locks just when driving or walking and see them laying on the ground. they don't have a key but you shouldn't need one since your picking it lol :) but american can go anywhere from 5 to 25 depending on which series and quality and amount of keys and stuff. Also strange, I find A LOT of locks in junk yards (automotive) also let your friends know if they find a lock that you want it. My friends have donated a few some with keys some with out.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Thedonofdeath wrote: ......also let your friends know if they find a lock that you want it.......

Indeed. You'd be surprised the shit people will dig out of their sheds, garages, basements, etc. if you just let em' know your interested in locks.

Hell, I got to talkin' with someone earlier this year that might bring me an S&G 831B this summer (and he won't accept any money). Turns out his friend lives underground in what was previously a military nuclear silo! The lock was left on one of the gates when he arrived there. (The house is insane, by the way. Their living room consists of an enormous fish tank and a four lane bowling alley, with room left over for some cars. lol)
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

NothingVentured

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:30 am

Actually high security is way down on the list. I just happen to have this lock because I wanted the door for a building project. I'm interested in stuff I can pick, or learn to pick fairly easily made from about the 1930s or 40s to the 60s (?). Yale, Master, Slaymaker, American, and whatever else was common in hardware stores during those years. I have most of the family padlocks and I don't have any local friends that are talking to me on a regular basis at present. I was also thinking about turning some of these locks into cut-aways.

I'll have time to get the really nice locks later, but for now I need exposure and practice. I did happen to think after posting this that I know someone who picks up junk and I could probably ask him for locks he picks up. We'll see. What's funny is there aren't any locks on the ground around here. :( Maybe I should get the ones on those old buildings that aren't being used. LOL

Return to Your Lock Collections