FAQ  •  My feedback  •  Feedback
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Oldfast's gutted locks

<<

Oldfast

User avatar

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Posts: 3950

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Location: Michigan

Post Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:56 am

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

uklockpicker wrote:Nice one thanks for a update, Gr8 info oldfast

Thanks for the kind words.

Hey Sour! In the background of the first photo, standing to the far left, is an oooooold friend of yours. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Oldfast

User avatar

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Posts: 3950

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Location: Michigan

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:47 am

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

***PLEASE HELP ME KEEP THESE ARTICLES ACCURATE & ALL-INCLUSIVE... COMMENTS AND/OR CORRECTIONS WELCOMED!!***

Wilson Bohannan padlocks
ImageImage
The infamous Wilson Bohannans. These locks intrigue me. WB's are rather interesting when you consider
the fact that they contain no security pins, and yet, offer a surprising degree of resistance to picking. The
company is known for their precision machining which yields the high tolerances found within their locks.

A quick & interesting 3 min vid takes you from the start of the company in 1860, to the modern day, 150+ year old company:

http://youtu.be/6X4tJe-cZvc

From picking these, I deduced, and certainly agreed with everyone that said "nothin' but standard pins & high tolerances". However, after picking a wide variety of these, I was equally certain that there had to be something.. SOMETHING more to these locks... lol.
I suspected some beveling... if not on the pins, then maybe the chambers in either the housing and/or plug were flared.

So, as I pulled one of these apart, you can imagine my dismay. I was like a child who opened his Christmas gift, only
to find a lump of coal. Apart from the very, VERY slight bevels on the pins... everything seemed fairly standard :(

Image

A couple days later, still feeling a bit cheated, I decided to sacrifice one more lock. I carefully chose one that had given me a hard time (hence, one of my favorites). And..... BINGO! A satisfying grin as I revealed each pin. The contact end of the drivers were rounded. And the top of each keypin had an EXTREME bevel.

Image

The interaction between the pins, coupled with exacting tolerances is a recipe that's sure to leave you with that annoying aftertaste of overlifted pins. This also accounts for why my method of dropping keypins frequently while picking proved so affective with these locks. It's also possible to have the rounded drivers sitting too low. A light nudge on each pin, or a gentle rake will often cure this.

Image

One other piece that was abscent in the first lock I gutted. This 'barrier' pin is inserted into an additional chamber in order to seal off the back end of the plug. This prevents direct access to, and manipulation of, the latching mechanism.

ImageImage[

Ahhh, I can now sleep sound tonight. lol

*Caught on Camera* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqqDpwQ4reQ
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

femurat

User avatar

Prolific Poster

Posts: 754

Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 pm

Location: Italy

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:16 am

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

Oldfast wrote:The contact end of the drivers were rounded. And the top of each keypin had an EXTREME bevel.

Image

The interaction between the pins, coupled with exacting tolerances is a recipe that's sure to leave you with that annoying aftertaste of overlifted pins. This also accounts for why my method of dropping keypins frequently while picking proved so affective with these locks. It's also possible to have the rounded drivers sitting too low. A light nudge on each pin, or a gentle rake will often cure this.


Hey Oldfast, great pictures and info. I also appreciated the WB history video.

On a side note, I think that these pins should make the lock extremely easy to pick! I've never played with it so I could be wrong, but a tapered keypin should push the top pin past the shearline and fall down straight away, without the risk of getting caught by the plug hole border. And the bevel of the top pins should help to create a HUGE shearline: from the top of the top pin bevel to the bottom of the bottom pin taper.

Cheers :)
<<

whizdumb

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 374

Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:28 am

Location: NJ, USA

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:33 pm

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

Mr. Oldfast...

Dare I say that you and your posts are the single greatest addition to Keypicking since the chat board.. You have greatly enhanced the content and information that this site has to offer and on that note I want to personally thank you for the time and effort you have put into your posts and the information you provide us all with. You are most welcome here and I for one hope to see more of your stunning photography and information posted as you too explore the world of locks.


THANK YOU,
Whizdumb
Image
Whizdumb81 wrote:You can't handle the DCAP
xe0 wrote:how about a peterson gov steel baseball bat so i can thwap motherfuckers
ecksdee wrote:To learn to pick locks is to learn how to speak a language spoken only in whispers and riddles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HobbyPicker
<<

darkhorse

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 343

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Location: united kingdom

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

excellent post oldfast...I might be lucky enough to get one of these shortly and was wondering how the plug comes out...i'e' is there a screw under the shackle?
<<

xeo

User avatar

Catministrator
Catministrator

Posts: 2121

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:30 am

Location: East Coast, USA

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

oh my god. what did you do to that beautiful wilson bohannon! i love these locks.
Image
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Oldfast

User avatar

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Posts: 3950

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Location: Michigan

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:57 am

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

femurat wrote:On a side note, I think that these pins should make the lock extremely easy to pick! I've never played with it so I could be wrong, but a tapered keypin should push the top pin past the shearline and fall down straight away, without the risk of getting caught by the plug hole border. And the bevel of the top pins should help to create a HUGE shearline: from the top of the top pin bevel to the bottom of the bottom pin taper.
Thank you femurat. And your assumptions are more or less correct.
The only thing that you didn't take into account is that WB's are fuckin' freaks! lol

In fact, the use of beveled and/or rounded pins are usually geared more towards functionality rather than security. They help the lock operate more smoothly and reduce the amount of wear. For example, the bitting on a key may wear down over time and will not lift the pins quite as high as it use to. But the key will still operate the lock properly since these types of pins create for a much more forgiving shearline... just like you mentioned.

On the other hand, manufacturers will sometimes use these pins with security in mind. But when that's the intension, they're normally coupled with flared chambers on the plug and/or housing. Yet, these locks have no flared chambers... so again, just freaks! lol
Also, this is the most extreme beveling I've seen. Usually, they're not nearly this drastic.

Hopefully someone will jump in & explain this a bit better... but here's my experience with these; When you set a pin, it's quite apt to be overset (a small portion of the keypins' beveled tip sets just above the shearline and jams there). But you'll experience a slight amount of give in the plug, giving you the impression that the pin has been properly set. And the fact that another pin is now binding only helps reinforce this thought.

So it seems there are two ways in which you can attack these locks. One, using light-med. tension, along with delicate precision with the pick, being cautious not to overlift anything. Or, (as I've come to do) a staight up, full hard-on attack... lol.. more of a 'rough & tumble' kind of style. Hard tension, hard pickin'. I'm bound to overset pins in this manner, so I frequently ease off tension in order to drop overset keypins. There's also the possibility of a driver making its' way back into the plug. For this, a gentle nudging kind of lift.... or a light 'brush over/raking' from back to front will help work them back up out of the plug.

One things for sure... however you decide to tackle these, they're fun picks! I've a couple that seem to pick like nothing more than a laminated master. While others really give me a good run for my money.

darkhorse wrote:excellent post oldfast...I might be lucky enough to get one of these shortly and was wondering how the plug comes out...i'e' is there a screw under the shackle?
Thanks. These locks are self-contained and are not designed to be disassembled. All the pinstacks (as well as the retaining pin) are dropped into their chambers, capped, and sealed within the body. You're only options involve grinding or drilling. But look on the bright side friend... I just slaughtered two of mine, so you don't have to kill yours! lol

xeo wrote:oh my god. what did you do to that beautiful wilson bohannon! i love these locks.
"Some must die.... so that others may live" :D

whizdumb81 wrote:Dare I say that you and your posts are the single greatest addition to Keypicking since the chat board.. You have greatly enhanced the content and information that this site has to offer and on that note I want to personally thank you for the time and effort you have put into your posts and the information you provide us all with. You are most welcome here and I for one hope to see more of your stunning photography and information posted as you too explore the world of locks.

THANK YOU,
Whizdumb
Holy shit Whiz... what an awesome compliment! Your kind words are deeply felt and very appreciated. I love this hobby, this forum, and everyone on it. I get immense enjoyment from it all, and it certainly keeps me busy. And for someone like me, with my past.... busy is ALWAYS a good thing! lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Oldfast

User avatar

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Posts: 3950

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Location: Michigan

Post Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:39 am

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

***PLEASE HELP ME KEEP THESE ARTICLES ACCURATE & ALL-INCLUSIVE... COMMENTS AND/OR CORRECTIONS WELCOMED!!***

RR BRINKS MOGUL CYLINDER

Application: Prisons & Jails

ImageImage

The Mogul cylinder itself, along with its' operating and control keys.

The lock utilizes a master ring which creates two shearlines. One between the ring and the plug, the other, between the ring and the housing.

ImageImage

Contained in each of its' six chambers is a ball-bearing, keypin, masterpin, and a graduated spool.

Image

Some XXX, 3-on-1 lockporn for your viewing pleasure. That poor, helpless Schlage never stood a chance.

Image

*Caught on Camera* FAIL... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxTYTE46R9g SUCCESS... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrTv14b5byM
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

uklockpicker

User avatar

The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor
The Supply Guy - Honored Benefactor

Posts: 1232

Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 7:38 pm

Location: United kindom Uk

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

This is brilliant oldfast :D Many thanks for letting me & many many more enjoy & share your progress of gutted locks/porn on uklockpickers facebook page :mrgreen: :drool:

http://www.facebook.com/uklockpickers
Image
<<

pin_pusher

User avatar

Familiar Face

Posts: 116

Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:03 pm

Location: center of earth

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:14 pm

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

how does one get a mogul like that to play with? i have the manuals for service and repair, but no locks to play around with.
<<

Oldfast

User avatar

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Posts: 3950

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

Location: Michigan

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

uklockpicker wrote:This is brilliant oldfast :D Many thanks for letting me & many many more enjoy & share your progress of gutted locks/porn on uklockpickers facebook page :mrgreen: :drool:
Thank YOU. I'm glad they can be shared & enjoyed.

pin_pusher wrote:how does one get a mogul like that to play with? i have the manuals for service and repair, but no locks to play around with.
Two of them I purchased on ebay (you'll see them from time to time). Try searching 'prison lock' maybe.
The other Brinks is on tour thanks to the great Kokomolock! It's headed for England next.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

macgng

User avatar

Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...
Contributor / I Fought Tooth and Nail to Acquire BO...

Posts: 937

Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:38 am

Location: MD, USA

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:01 pm

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

awesome stuff! /me wants!
Nibbler: The poop-eradication is but one aspect of your importance.
Image
<<

nhoj_yelbom

User avatar

Active Member

Posts: 365

Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 8:21 am

Location: Florida

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

Oldfast wrote:
uklockpicker wrote:This is brilliant oldfast :D Many thanks for letting me & many many more enjoy & share your progress of gutted locks/porn on uklockpickers facebook page :mrgreen: :drool:
Thank YOU. I'm glad they can be shared & enjoyed.

pin_pusher wrote:how does one get a mogul like that to play with? i have the manuals for service and repair, but no locks to play around with.
Two of them I purchased on ebay (you'll see them from time to time). Try searching 'prison lock' maybe.
The other Brinks is on tour thanks to the great Kokomolock! It's headed for England next.


my rr brinks is keyed the same as yours! thanks for the great info and pictures!
Wanted TrioVing, ASSA, BiLock, Environmental Locks and Keys, Ingersoll
<<

waddac2

Newbie

Posts: 6

Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:30 am

Location: United Kingdom

Post Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

Fantastic Mike. Thanks so much for sending me the WB link. Very interesting indeed
http://www.youtube.com/user/waddac2
<<

10ringo10

User avatar

Prolific Poster

Posts: 1108

Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 5:45 pm

Location: EUROPE

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:01 am

Re: Oldfast's gutted locks

Damn this is brilliant ive not seen this before.
PreviousNext

Return to Your Lock Collections

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot]

Don't forget to visit our sponsors for all of your lockpicking needs!
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Grop
"CA Black" theme designed by stsoftware