FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My lock collection (5 totally counts as a collection)

<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:43 pm

My lock collection (5 totally counts as a collection)

Ok so i'm new to this place and dont really have anything worth adding, but either i'm navigating compleatly arseways (a definate possibility) or no one's responded to HallisChalmers "Your Lock Collections" post.
So i decided to get the ball rolling with my meger collection, and ask a couple of questions i didn't think were deserving of their own thred.

Ok First off,
My Am-Tech Padlock, my only dedicated paractice lock for the past few months. I bought it cos it was the only one i could afford in the local hardware shop. This lock could be picked with a smile, but when i started it made for decent exercise.
2010-07-10 01-18-21.198.jpg

2010-07-10 01-18-34.483.jpg

Then about a week or two ago I got myself a Yale nightlatch on ebay. I like this lock, its similar to the one on my shed door. It took 4 days to get it picked then in the space of about 10 minutes i picked it another couple of times, then i couldnt pick it again till the next day, then I broke it. It seems that when I rotated the barrel 180 degrees, and the pins popped into place on the worng side, I lost a pin, i think, and now a bit of spring is potruding into the barrel, too damaged to push back into place to allow rotation of the plug. If anyone can recomend a method of removing the C-clip from this lock, so I can dismantle it, I would appriciate it, as it seems Yale use a particularly awkward C-clip.
2010-07-10 01-14-49.764.jpg

2010-07-10 01-15-23.967.jpg

Also about two weeks ago my brother got a couple of locks off the maintenance guy where he works. A 5 lever mortice, which i havent tried to pick yet, but that i think will make an excellant candidtae for a plxiglass front.
2010-07-10 02-00-05.761.jpg

The other is a euro-cylinder type with a thumbturn. I havent managed to pick this lock yet, despite hours of trying, it seems like i can get all 6 pins set, the lock has no key and i have no idea whats going on inside it, or even if it works, it also has a pretty restrictive key way. I have no idea what brand it is but it has TP3044 and 251 stamped on the side. If you can tell me anything about the lock it would help alot.
2010-07-10 01-17-10.520.jpg

2010-07-10 01-16-07.659.jpg

2010-07-10 01-17-34.874.jpg

And then this week i decided to splash out on a couple of cutaway locks to expand my collection and beef up my practice a bit. I bought the night latch one as an example of a standard lock, that i tend to have trouble with, and the euro cylinder one because its 3 central pins are spools, although its still alot eaiser to pick than the nightlatch, which took me a day to crack even though its a cutaway. I got them from a UK based seller called 'locks-away',i think, on ebay, sicne he could well be on this site i'll take the opportunity to say 'cool locks'.
2010-07-10 01-13-23.408.jpg

2010-07-10 01-09-48.677.jpg

2010-07-10 01-08-43.960.jpg

2010-07-10 01-05-13.367.jpg

So there you have it, my modest lock collection in all its glory.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by virul on Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I likes my locks like I likes my women, loose and easy to manipulate.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Re: My lock collection (5 totally counts as a collection)

very nice start to what i am quite sure is going to be a huge fantastic array.
i think you are spot on with the idea for a clear front for the lever lock as well.
thanks for sharing.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

HallisChalmers

Lord Emeritus of Keypicking HallisChalmers

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Very nice locks.

You're off to a good start. Expect to quadruple the amount of locks you have by this time next year.

The fever grows exponentially.
:yep:
<<

oldlock

Familiar Face

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:08 pm

The euro is almost certainly made by gege. It will have nasty spool pins. The only plus side is the numbering suggests it's masterkeyed.
Bramah Australasia
http://www.bramah.com.au

The above link has been approved by the site admin.
<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:15 pm

oldlock wrote:The euro is almost certainly made by gege. It will have nasty spool pins. The only plus side is the numbering suggests it's masterkeyed.

Ahh interesting, thanks, it would make sense that its master keyed being that its from the offices of a shopping center.
Also i forgot to mention on that one when i push my pick stright in towards the back past the last pin something springy pshes back a little. I was wondering if this ment anything as i havent noticed it on any of my other locks.
<<

awol70

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:38 pm

virul wrote:
oldlock wrote:The euro is almost certainly made by gege. It will have nasty spool pins. The only plus side is the numbering suggests it's masterkeyed.

Ahh interesting, thanks, it would make sense that its master keyed being that its from the offices of a shopping center.
Also i forgot to mention on that one when i push my pick stright in towards the back past the last pin something springy pushes back a little. I was wondering if this ment anything as i havent noticed it on any of my other locks.

that "springy" feeling is the part your key tip pushes in to engage the cam. the name for this part escapes me at the moment...though
if your cam spins freely, then this is most definitely true.
" I Love the smell of napalm in the morning!....."

<<

elbowmacaroni

Site Owner

Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:14 pm

Nice start ya got there! BTW, you can upload images to your post and attach them so they show inline. Just scroll down a bit, you'll see the tab for attachments.
"Cave ab homine unius libri" - Beware of anyone who has just one book

(2014.02.09 - 23:26:03) huxleypig: i freaking love cream
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:11) huxleypig: hey, come on, cream is nice
(2014.02.09 - 23:27:37) huxleypig: aww, i suddenly feel very sick

(23:37:46) LocksmithArmy: you should see my school girl outfit
(23:37:50) LocksmithArmy: wait... what

(13:19:50) xeo: that chick will never be satisfied by a real dick
(13:19:54) NNFAK: I would man...

(22:59:49) PhoneMan: how do you let a forum die if users keep using it? kill the servers?

May those who love us, love us; and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping

If someone had prince albert in a can, does that mean they'd have a killer codpiece?

(00:52:02) WolfSpring: elbow could sell a sandbox to an egyptian
<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:26 am

elbowmacaroni wrote:Nice start ya got there! BTW, you can upload images to your post and attach them so they show inline. Just scroll down a bit, you'll see the tab for attachments.

Thanks i wasnt too sure how to add the images properly.
<<

jonnyboy091373

Familiar Face

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:45 am

That's a nice collection you have there. Seems like a good start.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:05 am

You're off to a good start! That first one is a tri-circle, not an am-tech. No idea why nobody else mentioned that lol. They're usually really easy but don't be surprised if you get another one that you can't open to save your life, some of them are nigh on impossible and it's a mystery as to why.

Bad luck with the Yale, I had the same thing happen to me with an ERA once before. I'm pretty sure this happens when there is a very high lift pin and no balanced driver, so the whole pin stack gets stuck in the keyway and the spring is blocking the shearline. Looking at the key I'm guessing pin 1 is the culprit so you can probably fish that spring out and disassemble it to put a new one in so don't throw it away! There isn't really any way to avoid this happening with locks in future other than not rotating past 180.

Remember rim cylinders will only turn 45 degrees during normal operation so they're not designed to be turned like that. Of course you can turn it to your hearts content with the key since it keeps everything in place, but if you're picking rim cylinders with high lift pins make sure not to rotate to 180 just to be on the safe side.

The euro cylinder is almost definately a Kaba GeGe, looks like a pExtra which will have a passive sidebar & slider for key control... to the best of my knowledge these have no effect whatsoever on picking though so it's probably the security pins tripping you up. These use serrated pins and the tolerances are very tight so you won't get a noticeable false set or counter rotation when picking them so you need to really use your loaf when it comes to these locks. :)

All I can say about the first cutaway is keep practicing... I find that some locks with all standard pins are actually harder than those with spools, and yes, that includes cheap brands. They don't seem to respond very well to proper SPP so you might want to dumb your technique down a bit and use a half diamond so you're working more than one pin at a time. They usually don't put up much of a fight against this style of picking; give it a try and see.

I look forward to seeing what you add to the collection! I remember when I started out I had 4 locks and now I've got 2 shelves full of them lol. Happy picking!
<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:09 am

hey solomon,

you're probabaly right about that euro cylinder having serrated pins and small tolerences, sicne it SEEMS i can set all the pins without anything happening and i get very little rotation of the plug compared to my other locks.

Unfortunatly it seems to be the middle pin that's busted on the yale, so i cant reach in and yank out the spring, i'm still hoping to take it appart so i can re-pin it one by one, which will hopefully make it a very useful practice lock.

As for the Am Tech - Tri circle.....
2010-07-10 17-59-16.196.jpg

It's definatly an Am Tech.

The shop i bought it in always had Tri-circle as the cheap padlocks and Union as the pricer ones, but in the last few years the Tri Circle seem to have turned into Am Tech while keeping the tri circle logo, i assumed the companies merged or something.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:30 am

virul wrote:As for the Am Tech - Tri circle.....
2010-07-10 17-59-16.196.jpg

It's definatly an Am Tech.

The shop i bought it in always had Tri-circle as the cheap padlocks and Union as the pricer ones, but in the last few years the Tri Circle seem to have turned into Am Tech while keeping the tri circle logo, i assumed the companies merged or something.

Hmm, that's a first for me! I always thought they were seperate companies, so thanks for that. :D The only am-tech locks I've seen were disc detainers so this is pretty interesting. I'll ask around and see what I can find out about em.
<<

KokomoLock

Professor Emeritus Of Lockpickology and Smithery

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:10 pm

Good Stuff!! You are lucky, you have a lot better locks where you are. Want a kwikset let me know!!
<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:47 pm

KokomoLock wrote:Good Stuff!! You are lucky, you have a lot better locks where you are. Want a kwikset let me know!!

cool thanks, i might take you up on that sometime.
<<

virul

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:48 am

Woo hoo! my friend came round tonight and brough five basic 2 lever mortice locks and yet another yale nightlatch for me.

The yale is compleatly seized up though, any recomendations for freeing it up? i've heard alot of people say stuff like "never use WD-40" and "always use WD-40" so i didnt want to do anything to it untill i heard some opinions or even a couple of reckons. if i could dismantle it and clean it out it would be a nice addition to the collection.

i still haven't picked that damm thumbturn euro cylinder.
Next

Return to Your Lock Collections