FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Organization!!!

<<

Hugo Martel

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:33 am

Organization!!!

Anybody have pictures of how they organize their collections??? I hang my padlocks on a bar of aluminium with holes drilled in it, but the cylinders?

Hugo Martel :circlip:
Random wrote: Here is my tip of the day "Do not fart while wearing overalls".
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:44 am

Re: Organization!!!

file.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:47 pm

I use these, they are $3.00 each at the Dollar store :D

(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Xeo you have no idea how thankful I am to you right now. I have been planning to buy the exact same organizers and for a week now couldnt make up my mind which would work best for me. I even drew out 7 different layouts cause its going into my closet lol.

Hugo Ill post mine tomorrow but I use a pegboard, I also have slatboard that needs to go up as well as a mortise display going on the door and a home made bar for the bottom. Think Ill need to install 2 more hinges to hold the weight of the door after its full. Youll understand what Im talking about when youll see the pics
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:55 pm

I think you've seen my shop videos - I use screw/bolt bins from the hardware store along with plastic Plano boxes for most of my stuff. Some locks are also hanging on the wall or displayed on a shelf.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

budget1977

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:28 pm

nice setup
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:56 pm

The majority of my locks are just packed away in boxes but for the nice ones I have some glass cases to hang on the wall. The cases are designed for golf balls. Apparently enough people collect golf balls that they make customized glass cases to fit them. Who knew?

I have eight cases, there are five shelves per case and each shelf has a eight dimples milled into the wood to hold golfballs without them rolling around, but it's perfectly shaped and sized to also work on mortise and rim cylinders. That makes a capacity of 40 locks per case with good spacing, for a total of 320 locks. If I needed I could probably fit about 25% more locks if I lined them up right against each other but I think they look nicer spaced apart a bit, taking advantage of the dimples in the wood.

Here is a picture of the first four cases back when I had them hung in my old house and hadn't yet filled them all and bought four more cases to give me some expansion room. Sorry for the terrible picture. A Palm Centro, circa 2007, doesn't have much of a camera on it.

lockwall.jpg

If you're looking for something like this I bought them at Michael's, a craft store with multiple locations around here and also has a website. I imagine other places have cases like this available, especially trophy shops and such. I think they were listed at $49.95 retail but as I recall I got them on sale a bit cheaper.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:49 pm

Great thread! I really enjoy seeing the different setups. Hope more people post theirs.

Gleb, I remember a while ago you mentioning a closet full of locks (or plans of it anyway).
Did you post some pics of it already? If not, can't wait to see it when it all comes together.

MBI, those cases are slick. Golf balls, lol. Yeah, who da thought. Real classy. And, no dust!

Organizing and/or displaying locks as they accumulate I've found to be part of the fun with this hobby.
Many of my padlocks set on shelving I've put up. Most of my cylinders though set in drawers or boxes.
I actually spent the last couple weeks building more shelves for the lock room. The more locks I get &
the more safe locks I mount... the closer I get to the ceiling. lol
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

Hugo Martel

Familiar Face

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:50 pm

Thanks you so much everybody!! Yes I seen your vid Jeff. Xeo, I find your set up pretty close to what Im looking for where did you bought theses boxes??

From my I phone Hugo Martel :circlip:
<<

Riyame

Keeper of the Bests / Supreme Overlord of Small Format Interchangeable Picking Nightmares

Post Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:59 pm

Well, my setup is a wee bit different.

I keep most of my things in bigger tubs organized by lock type and those are on a shelving unit. This is a really old picture when it was new and clean and a LOT less full :lol:

And here is where I keep most of my mounted safe locks and my time locks. All of my other loose safe locks are currently in tubs on my shelf.

PhoneMan: I always knew I'd say something stupid and it would be someone's sig
macgng: i am an equal opportunity pervert
macgng: aww fuck thats goin in someone sig :-(

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:42 am

oooooOOOOOOOOO. I like it! Nope, I love it.

And just thinking of all the ones that are still boxed up? Makes me giddy :D

Top left: I wouldn't imagine all too many people have one of those.
I remember when you acquired that one... was very excited for you.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:52 am

Hugo Martel wrote:Xeo, I find your set up pretty close to what Im looking for where did you bought theses boxes??

Home Depot
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Hugo Martel

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:43 am

xeo wrote:
Hugo Martel wrote:Xeo, I find your set up pretty close to what Im looking for where did you bought theses boxes??

Home Depot

Thanks you!!!!

<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Hot damn MBI, that's some classy lock display going on there :D. I've been trying to figure out something to display padlocks on. Shelf is ok but not as classy, crystal cabinets are too fragile, and some of the locks (e.g. Ingersoll) won't stand up on their own accord sadly. I guess mortice and rim cylinders have more options as you could "install" them into plaques and such too. Nice display!

Anarchy_won - that's the closest I have to organisation too :D. Pics coming up...

Xeo - love those organiser drawers, I see them at my local hardware place but sadly I'd have nowhere to put them :(

Riyame - That's a helluvu racking unit! Does it need to be fixed to the wall? Looks heavy!

All my locks/tools stacked into boxes in the spare room. I only had one of the little ones until recently and decided it was time to get a few more and neaten things up a bit.

Top left - Blank key tags, new extra closed shackle Ingersoll (old and new), Closed shackle Intersoll and a CISA.

Top right - tool chest - all my lockpicks on the bottom, practice cylinders and some repinning stuff on the top.

Bottom left - all my old locks on the bottom tray, keys for them (and a Yale push-bolt that wouldn't it anywhere else) on the top.

Bottom right - All my new locks (except those in the top left box) on the bottom shelf, all the keys for them on the top.

Boxes are from B&Q in the UK, small were £20 and the large was £28. Not too bad for these v. sturdy boxes :)
<<

Hugo Martel

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:05 pm

LocksportSouth wrote:Hot damn MBI, that's some classy lock display going on there :D. I've been trying to figure out something to display padlocks on. Shelf is ok but not as classy, crystal cabinets are too fragile, and some of the locks (e.g. Ingersoll) won't stand up on their own accord sadly. I guess mortice and rim cylinders have more options as you could "install" them into plaques and such too. Nice display!

Anarchy_won - that's the closest I have to organisation too :D. Pics coming up...

Xeo - love those organiser drawers, I see them at my local hardware place but sadly I'd have nowhere to put them :(

Riyame - That's a helluvu racking unit! Does it need to be fixed to the wall? Looks heavy!

All my locks/tools stacked into boxes in the spare room. I only had one of the little ones until recently and decided it was time to get a few more and neaten things up a bit.

The boxes arnt expensive put the shipping would be a KILLER!!! nuce setup bro!!!

Top left - Blank key tags, new extra closed shackle Ingersoll (old and new), Closed shackle Intersoll and a CISA.

Top right - tool chest - all my lockpicks on the bottom, practice cylinders and some repinning stuff on the top.

Bottom left - all my old locks on the bottom tray, keys for them (and a Yale push-bolt that wouldn't it anywhere else) on the top.

Bottom right - All my new locks (except those in the top left box) on the bottom shelf, all the keys for them on the top.

Boxes are from B&Q in the UK, small were £20 and the large was £28. Not too bad for these v. sturdy boxes :)
Next

Return to Your Lock Collections