FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Warning labels on locks?

<<

NYC-10036a

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:59 pm

Warning labels on locks?

Just noticed warnings on the packaging for a brass American padlock, and a laminated steel Abus. The lead in locks can give you cancer??

Anyone aware of how real the danger might be?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:21 pm

Re: Warning labels on locks?

NYC-10036a wrote:Just noticed warnings on the packaging for a brass American padlock, and a laminated steel Abus. The lead in locks can give you cancer??

Just be sure not to lick the locks, and you will most likely be safe enough. California made this warning required on all brass items, since brass is an alloy of copper and lead.

A better warning would be "Do Not Drop This Lock On Your Foot."

or this one...

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:23 pm

EVERYTHING gives you cancer :armed:

Take Gordon's advice and don't lick or suck them.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:23 pm

NYC-10036a wrote:Just noticed warnings on the packaging for a brass American padlock, and a laminated steel Abus. The lead in locks can give you cancer??

Brass is an alloy of primarily copper and zinc, but a lot of time brass alloys will also have a very small amount of lead in them, typically around 2%, to make them more easily machinable.

If I'm remembering right, brass plumbing fixtures can even have as much as 8% lead, even though it's been banned from copper pipe, fittings and plumbing solder. Until recently, they were even allowed to market brass as "lead free" even if it had as much as 4% lead, but I heard that's been lowered to less than one percent. I'm not completely sure about that one though.

While California is known for being heavy handed with how many nit-picking laws they pass, they've been at the forefront of the "battle" against lead in consumer products. Many of the warning labels like the one you're talking about are there because they can't be sold in California state unless it has that label.

Many brass locks will have lead, most brass key blanks probably have lead in the alloy. It's one of the reasons you shouldn't let small children play with your keys.

*edit: looks like Gordon beat me to the punch while I was typing.
<<

flywheel

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:24 pm

I thought brass was copper and zinc.
Wikipedia set me straight:
On January 1, 2010, the maximum amount of lead in "lead-free brass" in California was reduced from 4% to 0.25% lead.
<<

NYC-10036a

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:40 pm

Good advice. A shame, old Corbins go great with some salt and vinegar. Oh well.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:48 pm

flywheel wrote:I thought brass was copper and zinc.
Wikipedia set me straight:
On January 1, 2010, the maximum amount of lead in "lead-free brass" in California was reduced from 4% to 0.25% lead.

No, you were right. The main components of brass is copper and zinc, the ratios of the two vary depending on which specific alloy of brass you're referring to. Lead is a minor component that is usually, but not always added in smaller amounts.
<<

spuds

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:06 pm

WoW now that's a lock LOL

GWiens2001 wrote:

Just be sure not to lick the locks, and you will most likely be safe enough. California made this warning required on all brass items, since brass is an alloy of copper and lead.

A better warning would be "Do Not Drop This Lock On Your Foot."

or this one...

Gordon
Even Duct tape can't fix stupid But it can muffle the sound ! ;-)
Jim
<<

Hugo Martel

Familiar Face

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:19 pm

Gordon, now I understand why at locksmith school, you must wear safety boots!! Thats the heck of a lock!!!

Hugo Martel :circlip:
Random wrote: Here is my tip of the day "Do not fart while wearing overalls".
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Don't know why I was thinking copper and lead. Know lead was a component. Plenty more for me to learn, last time I checked. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:26 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Just be sure not to lick the locks,

Aww man :(
But they're just to tasty! :drool: :mrgreen:

Dayum. I always assumed that red lock in your av was about the size of a hand or something. Didn't occur to me that the bottom lock is a frickin' S&G Environmental :shock:
That's one hell of a lock.

Are all the holes to add extra locks, like a lockout thing? Or is that to do with having a kinda ratcheted closing mechanism so it can be closed to diff. widths?
Edit: Nvm, Found it, or at least something similar - yours seems to be for planes? (remove before flight)
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:36 pm

LocksportSouth wrote:Dayum. I always assumed that red lock in your av was about the size of a hand or something. Didn't occur to me that the bottom lock is a frickin' S&G Environmental :shock:

Are all the holes to add extra locks, like a lockout thing? Or is that to do with having a kinda ratcheted closing mechanism so it can be closed to diff. widths?
Edit: Nvm, Found it, or at least something similar - yours seems to be for planes? (remove before flight)

Yes, it is kinda sizeable. :mrgreen: Yes, it is the version made for airplane propellers. Those propellers are balanced pretty closely, so a 16 pound lock might kinda make the prop slightly off balance, possibly even make the airplane engine shake just a tad. So removal before flight is a good idea. :)

The various holes are so you can adjust the fit of the lock to various propellers. Here is a pic from the listing when I got the lock showing it installed on a propeller.

Gordon
<<

davesnothere11

Familiar Face

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 am

GWiens2001 wrote:
LocksportSouth wrote:Dayum. I always assumed that red lock in your av was about the size of a hand or something. Didn't occur to me that the bottom lock is a frickin' S&G Environmental :shock:

Yes, it is kinda sizeable. :mrgreen: Yes, it is the version made for airplane propellers. Those propellers are balanced pretty closely, so a 16 pound lock might kinda make the prop slightly off balance, possibly even make the airplane engine shake just a tad. So removal before flight is a good idea. :)

The various holes are so you can adjust the fit of the lock to various propellers. Here is a pic from the listing when I got the lock showing it installed on a propeller.

Gordon

I am surprised I haven't seen those up here with all the small planes everywhere. I always assumed it was a wheel lock similar to a "boot" used on parking violators.
(18:56:54) HAL 9000 Sez: It isn't so much bait as it is chum

My lock photography: https://flic.kr/s/aHskv3U6Tx
My picking videos:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr_YDBWHU0VpoIjmfocIbuw
<<

LocksportSouth

Post Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:52 am

That's very cool :). It never occurred to me that aircraft would be locked with basically modified wheel clamps, and I have to say it makes me giggle a bit - I always assumed planes would use some kind of high security lock, alarms, possible an encrypted card reader/code thing, but I guess they're just as susceptible to joyriding as anything else :D

Return to Your Lock Collections