FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

What to do with a "secure" warded padlock

<<

lorkoe

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:25 pm

What to do with a "secure" warded padlock

This warded padlock has found a secure home in a small jar. It combines my hobbies of lockpicking with impossible jars. The body of the lock is too wide to fit through the neck of the jar. In fact once the lid is unscrewed, the lid doesn't even have room to be raised above the jar. Securing the lid of this jar is the only thing I would trust with this padlock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Scrince

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:30 pm

Re: What to do with a "secure" warded padlock

I dont understand the relevance of this post ? Are you trying to say that you made the Jar around the lock? or were you trying to explain that warded padlocks are inherently insecure?
A spy is just a criminal with a government paycheck.....
<<

lorkoe

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:32 pm

These cheap warded padlocks are certainly not secure. It was a challenge to get the padlock inside the jar and impossible to remove it without damaging the jar or the lid.
<<

Random

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:41 pm

I started reading about these impossible bottles recently. Really cool i must say. This would be the ultimate challenge lock/jar.
Good job
<<

Scrince

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:33 pm

how can you put something in and not get it out the same way? I will have to do some research.....
A spy is just a criminal with a government paycheck.....
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Can see an easy way to make this. Padlock (unlocked) on the lid. Ice cube in the bottle. Insert padlock in the jar, turn it around so the shackle lines up, then push down the lid so the padlock is locked. Let the ice melt, and pour the water out.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Looks to me like it would come out easily if the lock were unlocked. There would be enough room to "tip" the lock 90 degrees and remove it. The problem is unlocking it since the jar is in the way now,shim it?
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

flywheel

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:17 pm

The answer is so obvious! The farmer goes out to the padlock orchard in early spring. He finds a tree with nice looking buds and weaves them through holes predrilled in mason jar lids. Now as the buds grow into mature padlocks but before they are too large the farmer returns with the glass jars and very lightly screws them onto the lids. It is very important over the next week or two that the bottles are checked daily to remove any rainwater or dew that has collected. If left unchecked the padlock fruit will rot (known as rusting). Once the padlocks are fully mature the glass jars are screwed on tightly and padlocks are plucked from the tree with heavy duty bolt cutters.

Or, more likely, the shackle is removable. The padlock body is easily inserted into the narrow jar mouth by turning it sideways. Now you can use GW's or some other clever method of reengaging the shackle and lock.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:29 pm

Interesting that you would post this. I have very recently started studying impossible bottles. The being locked through the lid is a nice touch. I know how this one works, but the golf ball in the baby food jar has me stumped so far. I've done decks of cards, scissors, and rubiks cubes so far. (Have some other ideas that I'm working on.(keeping those to myself till I get them worked out).
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

lorkoe

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:20 pm

I didn't use any method involving ice or freezing. The insertion of the padlock did require some dissembly. Removing it may be possible using shims but the lid would need to be deformed to get the shims in place. The tolerances for getting the lock even with taking it partially apart were really tight. In fact it relied on the jar being rotated to the right position since the mouth was not a perfect circle.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:44 pm

Can I get a hint of what the jar is?
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:55 pm

My best guess would be glass. :P

It is supposed to be a mystery how it was assembled.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Ha! That's neat. Look forward to seeing more of these 'impossible jars' of yours.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:49 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:My best guess would be glass. :P

It is supposed to be a mystery how it was assembled.

Gordon

Thank you Walter Cronkite.....Was wondering what product the jar held originally. I've done a few impossible bottles and always looking for companies that still use glass.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:52 am

Looks like a large size glass baby food jar.

-Walter Cronkite :mrgreen:
Next

Return to Your Lock Collections