FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

My Bestmode Corbin Padlock and its Minions

<<

Maliphus Locksport

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:33 pm

My Bestmode Corbin Padlock and its Minions

So here is my favorite lock in my collection! and my neighbor after showing him i collect locks ran next door and brought back two minions to go with my big Corbin and gave them to me! so i thought i would share them with you guys hope you enjoy!

I have not picked this lock or had much time to do anything with it it opens very smoothly seems to be 6 Pin and the Minions they came without keys and i picked first one by paperclip but the second one was a bit too strong spring pressure (Im talking strong) so i ended up making these small picks for fun and using them to pick the tiny keyways :bogota:

Here are the minions

I should add that the hole is where a cover used to probably be before i came into possession of the lock im guessing like its brothers.

This one was wrapped in black tape and must have protected the writing on the back of the lock unlike the other one which cant make out any writing at all... but i think i would need to use PB blaster or some kind of cleaner to remove the black tape to see the writing and i have not taken time to investigate it since i like them how they are :)

<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:40 pm

Re: My Bestmode Corbin Padlock and its Minions

Beautiful locks!
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:45 pm

Beautiful. That 'Beast Mode' Corbin does look to be a master ring. Does the key you have turn the plug only, or does it turn the plug and the outer ring together?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:48 pm

That looks like black electrical tape. If it is, even if it is very old, it should be easy enough to take off using Brake Clean and a soft rag. Here is an example of a box I took the very old duct tape off from that was so old that the tape fibers peeled off, leaving the adhesive behind...

And after using brake cleaner and a soft rag for about five minutes...

Also, if you want to get rid of that Corbin (the large one), let me know. It kind of belongs in my "Do not drop this lock on your foot" collection.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Maliphus Locksport

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Robotnik wrote:Beautiful. That 'Beast Mode' Corbin does look to be a master ring. Does the key you have turn the plug only, or does it turn the plug and the outer ring together?

I had not noticed before but it does indeed turn both the plug and the entire ring as well. Can you tell me why this is special?
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:43 pm

Maliphus Locksport wrote:
Robotnik wrote:Beautiful. That 'Beast Mode' Corbin does look to be a master ring. Does the key you have turn the plug only, or does it turn the plug and the outer ring together?

I had not noticed before but it does indeed turn both the plug and the entire ring as well. Can you tell me why this is special?

It is one of the two keys that work in that lock. The other key would turn just the plug.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Robotnik

Familiar Face

Post Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:47 pm

Maliphus Locksport wrote:

The Corbin Master Ring is a type of dual-shearline master keying system developed in the late 1800's or so. It's still in limited use today and still supported by Corbin-Russwin. Generally found in larger facilities/institutions - high rises, municipal facilities, and the like. Basically, with the two shearlines, the MR eliminates or reduces some problems inherent to traditional split-pin master keying - key interchange, limited available bittings in some systems, ease of picking, etc.

If the key you have is turning both the plug and the master ring, you have the (or one of the) master keys. There will be another key - the change key - that'll turn the plug only. It's possible to impression the change key, or these can be disassembled for decoding. I'd be reeeally careful taking the latter course; I've done it, but there's a low margin for error on a collector lock. Easy to mar if you get too aggressive, and it's essential to have a good understanding of the mechanism and the math behind combinating these. Corbin-Russwin service manual has a lot of the info needed.

These are one of my favorite types of locks. Awesome piece, thanks for sharing.
<<

Maliphus Locksport

Post Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:32 am

oh awesome!!! thank you for explaining that i dont think ill be messing with it ill most likely leave it as is for the time being anyways
<<

DroppedTensionWrench

Post Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:52 am

What an awesome lock! Thanks for sharing pics.

Return to Your Lock Collections